Criteria for choosing headphones

masak_aer

masak_aer

Senior Audioholic
All this time, I thought a headphone is just a headphone. I never knew there were going to be lots of technical stuff behind it. A very nice mind-opening thread!! All I used to care about was that my headphones saved me from the the noisy engine from the bus.

S

Sleestack

Senior Audioholic
Did someone say headphones?

Although I primarily listen to speakers, I do love spending time under the cans (HD650 w/ XLR, Singlepower SDS-XLR & Meridian G08). I don't really like using any IEM, however, I'm not about to walk around with cans, so I use Etymotic ER4Ps and Shure E4cs. The Etymotics are microphonic and a bit more fragile, so they are not suitable for excercise IMO. Otherwise, they provide excellent isolation, as do the Shure E4cs. I generally prefer the crisper sound of the Etymotics. Also, I think using WAV files on your Pod is a waste, unless you are one of theose head-fier's who carry around a digital line out, portable DAC, etc.... and even then, I'm not sure you'll hear the difference. 320Kbps is what I use on the road.

Last edited:
STRONGBADF1

STRONGBADF1

Audioholic Spartan
Buckle-meister said:
Hmm. A proper answer would be pretty long winded therefore suffice it to say that I'd be using the iPod on bus journeys of approximately 3.5hr duration (either direction).
Sounds mysterious...I hope she's worth it!:D

Buckle-meister

Audioholic Field Marshall
Sooo, to summarise what we've learned here:

1. There's no need to listen to .wav files on a portable stereo (check!);
  2. There's no need to listen to .wav files on a portable stereo (check!!) and;
  3. There's no need to listen to .wav files on a portable stereo (check!!!).
:rolleyes:

STRONGBADF1 said:
Sounds mysterious...I hope she's worth it!:D
I wasn't trying to be mysterious, simply not to bore you with a long winded explanation, but yes, 'she's' worth it. All 284 'shes'.

That was being mysterious. :D

N

Nick250

Audioholic Samurai
Buckle-meister said:
Sooo, to summarise what we've learned here:

1. There's no need to listen to .wav files on a portable stereo (check!);
  2. There's no need to listen to .wav files on a portable stereo (check!!) and;
  3. There's no need to listen to .wav files on a portable stereo (check!!!).
:rolleyes:

I wasn't trying to be mysterious, simply not to bore you with a long winded explanation, but yes, 'she's' worth it. All 284 'shes'.

That was being mysterious. :D
Hmmmm, Scotland hmmm.. are we talking sheep here? Like in the old pop classic "I'll never find another ewe"

W

warpdrive

Full Audioholic
Buckle-meister said:
Hmm. A proper answer would be pretty long winded therefore suffice it to say that I'd be using the iPod on bus journeys of approximately 3.5hr duration (either direction).
You definitely want an isolating headphone, an IEM type earphone is highly recommended in that situation. It will literally shut you off from the outside world with 20dB or more noise isolation.

I'd suggest the ER6i as starters, it's still the "go to" earphone under $100 IMO. The ER6i sounds decent out of an iPod, it's a neutral sounding earphone throughout the frequency range.

Buckle-meister

Nick250 said:
...are we talking sheep here? Like in the old pop classic "I'll never find another ewe"
Nick man, what're ewe talkin' about? :D

warpdrive said:
You definitely want an isolating headphone, an IEM type earphone is highly recommended in that situation.
My only concern with isolating earphones (never having tried them before) is that I find them too uncomfortable and will have wasted money. I guess there's no other way around it but to try them. :(

I may wait just a touch longer before getting an iPod as I heard on the news last night that due to some reason or another, Apple may be about to drop the iPod's prices in Europe. :) I can't afford to wait too long however, since I will soon be making this return journey if not on a weekly basis, then certainly a fortnightly basis.

I am not a good traveller. :mad:

WmAx

WmAx

Audioholic Samurai
Buckle-meister said:
My only concern with isolating earphones (never having tried them before) is that I find them too uncomfortable and will have wasted money. I guess there's no other way around it but to try them. :(
You may have to consider something a little bigger (are you worried about people giving you 'the' look?) than you originally anticipated if you want both no device inserted in your ear and reasonable isolation. Refer to Sony MDR-7506 and Sennheiser HD-280. You can also refer to active noise cancellation headphones such as Bose, as a last resort(and a costly last resort). MDR-7506 isolates good enough, that I'm fine using that while mowing the lawn, for example.

-Chris

WmAx

WmAx

Audioholic Samurai
Buckle-meister said:
I'm sorry, but did you just say Bose? :eek:
Yes. You have few options in active noise cancellation headphones. To give you an idea of how poor the selection is currently: Bose makes what is considered one of the better ones.

-Chris

S

Sleestack

Senior Audioholic
WmAx said:
Yes. You have few options in active noise cancellation headphones. To give you an idea of how poor the selection is currently: Bose makes what is considered one of the better ones.

-Chris
He doesn't need active noise cancellation. I would much rather get a good sealed design than the Bose. They are no good.

Here's a link to a selection of IEMs and sealed headphones. It should help you pick something out:

http://www.headphone.com/products/headphones/sealed-and-noise-canceling/

Last edited:

Buckle-meister

WmAx said:
...are you worried about people giving you 'the' look?
To an extent, yes. If in-ears are able to deliver a similar sound quality to 'no-look' headphones then I'd probably lean that way. I see from Sleestack's :) link that Shure in-ears (and probably other in-ear manufacturers too) come with a number of different sleeves for various 'fits', so hopefully my concern about in-ears being uncomfortable will be unfounded.

I notice that headphone.com reckons a dedicated headphone amp will improve the sound from some models of in-ears. Is this true, or just voodoo? Is it the same argument as more powerful amps delivering better sound than lower powered amps for hi-fi?

jonnythan said:
3.5 hour rides? Get a portable DVD player...
STRONGBADF1 said:
I was just thinking PSP or laptop.
Nah, not interested in those, but does anyone have any idea how long I'd get out of a fully charged iPod battery assuming continuous playback at normal levels using average headphones?

S

Steve1000

Audioholic
Very interesting thread! After reading through it, my opinions, in no particular order:

1) Ipod is a high-performance audio device, but keep the load 30 ohms or higher. (I have an ipod).

2) The Sony V6, Senn HD280, and Bose QC2 are all nice isolating phones. No question, the V6 and HD280 are higher fidelity at 1/3 the price. I have all three. The QC2s are nice for long trips on busses and airplanes... you'll appreciate the extra comfort as compared to earbuds, and the extra isolation and comfort as compared to V6 and and HD280. Also, any EQ you can use to decrease the bass a little or increase the treble a little in the QC2 will markedly increase the sound quality of the QC2s. But they are expensive... I'd only buy them if your budget and disposable income make it practical and you will use them very frequently for their intended purpose (decent upper-mid-fi sound, superb comfort and world-class active noise cancellation). Buy them at a Bose store and the return policy is no questions asked for 90 days (or it was when I got mine), and they will replace a pair on-the-spot if they break within a year or sometimes even later (I had a pair replaced on the spot at a Bose store, and was told they had improved the construction design since I got mine). The sound quality is sufficient to really enjoy the music if you are non-obsessive about it. I find the HD280 too uncomfortable for long-term use, but I do like the sound and it's pretty accurate (as is the V6), IMHO. The QC2s will also help preserve your hearing: I find I can hear the music well at moderate volumes even with the loud roar of jet engine noise nearby. In fact, the loudness of the music with the headphones on is often much quieter than the ambient noise of the jet without the headphones on.

3) Fussing over sound quality for a bus trip or airplane trip is futile, IMHO. I never even listen in public settings except on airplanes, where I can get bored stiff. And then your ears are popping and nowhere near at their best. Sound quality should not be the first priority for such a trip. Enjoying the music in comfort should. Save your audiphile pursuits for a quiet place in the home (as I do).

4) Headroom is a snake-oil vendor. The cable and amp stuff is littered with nonsense and deception, IMHO, and they should be called to the carpet for it at every possible opportunity. It's not exactly unique to the audio industry: check out monster cable, Best Buy, Circuit City.. Headroom's frequency response graphs, value ratings and narrative sbujective descriptions of headphones are useful information though. Use those, and their nice return policy, and steer clear of the amp and cable nonsense, and you'll be okay.

5) I can't stand earbuds. The comfort and convenience are awful. I'd much rather wear my QC2s and be able to take them on and off at a moment's notice and not have my ear canals chronically sore and at risk for infection, but but if you can stand it, there's good sound quality to be had, so have at it.

6) MP3s get quite good at 192 kbps, or even lower if you are using vbr. When people say they are hearing obvious differences at these kinds of bitrates or higher I know they don't know what they are talking about, and I can discount the rest of their opinions accordingly.

7) If you get your ipod consider getting a really nice pair of open phones for listening at home or in quiet places with superb sound quality. It has a 30mw amp, IIRC... that'll drive most (but not all) headphones quite well. This is compared to 5mw for a sony discman, for example.

So what would I use on a long bus tip? No question about it, my ipod and my Bose QC2s, with the EQ either set to either the treble increase or reduced bass preset. But I'm a middle-aged man, ears past their prime, without the money worries of a younger person on a shoe-string budget.

8) WmAx is giving you the straight dope.

Good luck!!!!!:)

S

Sleestack

Senior Audioholic
Buckle-meister said:
To an extent, yes. If in-ears are able to deliver a similar sound quality to 'no-look' headphones then I'd probably lean that way. I see from Sleestack's :) link that Shure in-ears (and probably other in-ear manufacturers too) come with a number of different sleeves for various 'fits', so hopefully my concern about in-ears being uncomfortable will be unfounded.

I notice that headphone.com reckons a dedicated headphone amp will improve the sound from some models of in-ears. Is this true, or just voodoo? Is it the same argument as more powerful amps delivering better sound than lower powered amps for hi-fi?

Nah, not interested in those, but does anyone have any idea how long I'd get out of a fully charged iPod battery assuming continuous playback at normal levels using average headphones?
Different sleeves help. Generally, I just don't like putting things in my ear. Nevertheless, it is a pain to carry around full sized headphones. IEMs will give you a different presentation than cans. More between your head. All the clarity and detail will be there.

Amps are required for some headphones. Not voodoo at all. Some headphones are simply high impedance and require more juice than most headphone jacks provide. That is why I use an amp with my home cans. For portable use, pick headphones that don't require an amp. IMO, if you want to be portable, keep it simple.

I left my Nano on by accident the other day. I got about 16 hours of play time at a slightly loud volume.

S

Sleestack

Senior Audioholic
Steve1000 said:
4) Headroom is a snake-oil vendor. The cable and amp stuff is littered with nonsense and deception, IMHO, and they should be called to the carpet for it at every possible opportunity. It's not exactly unique to the audio industry: check out monster cable, Best Buy, Circuit City.. Headroom's frequency response graphs, value ratings and narrative sbujective descriptions of headphones are useful information though. Use those, and their nice return policy, and steer clear of the amp and cable nonsense, and you'll be okay.
I would not call them a snake oil vendor. While they do sell some expensive cables and have some beliefs about cables that not everyone shares (including me), they sell some great amps (although I prefer Singlepower amps) and provide informative data on headphones. They are extremely helpful to the headphone community in sharing resources. Headphone amps are hardly snake-oil, however, obviously, as with speaker amps, one can debate the virtues of spending alot on a headphone amp.

Last edited:
W

warpdrive

Full Audioholic
Buckle-meister said:
IEM's are definitely a like it or hate it affair for some people. If you want to get an idea of what it feels like: just buy a set of cylindrical foam earplugs at your local pharmacy. That's what wearing an IEM typically feels like.

Buy from a vendor that allows returns. Dare I say it: someone like headphone.com. At worst, you'll be out a few dollars in return postal costs if IEM's turn out to be the work of the devil for you.

Noise cancellation headphones are bulky, require power source, and only really drown out low frequency steady state noises. Overall, an IEM is better for commuting duty.
Etymotics will even send you a bunch of other sized tips for you to try if you tell them you don't find the included ones fit well.

Lastly, another plug for HeadRoom (headphone.com), I find service and support after the sale is important and they know how to treat the customer right. They made a mistake on my last order, and they more than made up for it after I called them about it.

Last edited:

Buckle-meister

Steve1000 said:
Fussing over sound quality for a bus trip or airplane trip is futile, IMHO...Save your audiphile pursuits for a quiet place in the home (as I do).
Then you're saying I should just stick with the buds that're included with the iPod? :confused:

Steve1000 said:
If you get your ipod consider getting a really nice pair of open phones for listening at home or in quiet places with superb sound quality.
Why on earth would I want to listen to headphones at home when I have my fabulous stereo? :)

Steve1000 said:
...I'm a middle-aged man, ears past their prime, without the money worries of a younger person on a shoe-string budget.
Me too, and what with technology increasing the human lifespan all the time, it seems I'm going to remain middle aged for quite some time. ;)

Thanks for your comments. Much appreciated. :)

Buckle-meister

Sleestack said:
I left my Nano on by accident the other day. I got about 16 hours of play time at a slightly loud volume.
16 hours? That's excellent, and way more than I thought I'd get. Nice one. :cool:

warpdrive said:
...I find service and support after the sale is important and they [headphone.com] know how to treat the customer right.
I just did a quick check. They do ship internationally, but unless push came to shove, I'd probably try and purchase headphones locally. In light of this, I am using headphone.com only as a resource.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis