A

Andrew24

Enthusiast
Hey everyone, so just recently my basically new 5.0 surround sound (haven't gotten the sub yet) has started crackling semi randomly. I say semi randomly, because the only time it seems to have a pattern is when there is yelling going on, in whatever is on the TV, the voice starts to crackle. That's when it is most noticeable, other than that it seems to be random. Something else that i found strange was when i use the built in airplay setting on my receiver for music there is no crackling whats so ever. only seems to be when I'm using my playstation 3. So I didn't know if anyone had any ideas on how to figure out the problem. I had a couple like trying a different hdmi cable and such, but I currently only have the one so thought I'd make a post before i go out and buy one. Thanks for your help!

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
Crackling only in the center speaker?

For music and movies?

When you play music, do you use the center speaker?

What speakers and AVR do you have?

You could try a different bigger speaker for Center and see.

A

Andrew24

Enthusiast
Well, I believe the crackling comes from all the front speakers but I can't be sure. Like I said its mostly random when it happens so its hard to tell which speaker its coming from. It crackles when I'm using my playstion 3 for movies and games however when i use my iphone to play music over airplay there is no crackling.

when I play music I have it set to pro logic II music so it plays on all the speakers.

I have a Pioneer VSX-823-K receiver, 1 Polk tsx150 center, 2 polk tsx110 R-Surr, 2 old school kenwood LSK-703.

keep in mind I haven't heard any crackling from the rear speakers but I guess that doesn't mean its not there.

The center is already a big one, and when I first got this system hooked up there was no crackling, that was about two weeks ago.

thanks for your comment!

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
Well, I believe the crackling comes from all the front speakers but I can't be sure. Like I said its mostly random when it happens so its hard to tell which speaker its coming from. It crackles when I'm using my playstion 3 for movies and games however when i use my iphone to play music over airplay there is no crackling.

when I play music I have it set to pro logic II music so it plays on all the speakers.

I have a Pioneer VSX-823-K receiver, 1 Polk tsx150 center, 2 polk tsx110 R-Surr, 2 old school kenwood LSK-703.

keep in mind I haven't heard any crackling from the rear speakers but I guess that doesn't mean its not there.

The center is already a big one, and when I first got this system hooked up there was no crackling, that was about two weeks ago.

thanks for your comment!
Try Stereo mode for music and see if the crackle is still there.

A

Andrew24

Enthusiast
Try Stereo mode for music and see if the crackle is still there.
There was no crackling in the music to begin with so I'm not sure what this would accomplish. It only seems to happen on tv shows or movies. I went ahead and did it anyways and still no crackling. When I did this for a tv show there was no crackling that I noticed. I believe it is coming from the center speaker, the more I listen for it the more it sounds like distortion, but that should not happen on a $200 center speaker. Could this be due to bad wiring? Or should I take it back to bestbuy for an exchange? Or is there any center speaker someone would recommend that I get form bestbuy for around $200. I say from bestbuy because I used my bestbuy credit card to buy it. (has good financing)

Thanks for your help

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
There was no crackling in the music to begin with so I'm not sure what this would accomplish. It only seems to happen on tv shows or movies. I went ahead and did it anyways and still no crackling. When I did this for a tv show there was no crackling that I noticed. I believe it is coming from the center speaker, the more I listen for it the more it sounds like distortion, but that should not happen on a $200 center speaker. Could this be due to bad wiring? Or should I take it back to bestbuy for an exchange? Or is there any center speaker someone would recommend that I get form bestbuy for around $200. I say from bestbuy because I used my bestbuy credit card to buy it. (has good financing)

Thanks for your help
Use one of the L/R speakers as a center speaker and see if they crackle for movies.

$200 Center speakers can still have distortion.

Center channel are known to have this crackle problem.

ImcLoud

ImcLoud

Audioholic Ninja
Could be a bad cable, after doing as Acudef said with left or right speaker, then try swapping the cables for that channel also, if that doesnt prove anything...

Ldooderrino

Ldooderrino

Audiophyte
The speakers in your system are fine. You are one of many who encounter "crackling" sound with the PS3. More often than not, the problem is within the HDMI cable.

-ensure the PS3's audio output modes checked in the menu are compatible with your receiver/speaker
-try resetting the audio output to default 2 channel PCM
-make sure the signal gain on the PS3 is not max...try setting it at -1

If all else fails, use an optical cable for your sound needs. You can still use your HDMI to send the video signal but you will need to select the optical setting in the PS3 audio menu. This fixed the sound problems I was having with my PS3.

A

Andrew24

Enthusiast
The speakers in your system are fine. You are one of many who encounter "crackling" sound with the PS3. More often than not, the problem is within the HDMI cable.

-ensure the PS3's audio output modes checked in the menu are compatible with your receiver/speaker
-try resetting the audio output to default 2 channel PCM
-make sure the signal gain on the PS3 is not max...try setting it at -1

If all else fails, use an optical cable for your sound needs. You can still use your HDMI to send the video signal but you will need to select the optical setting in the PS3 audio menu. This fixed the sound problems I was having with my PS3.
This is interesting, I'm not saying this is or is not the problem, but when I had this ps3 hooked up to my old roommates surround sound there was no crackling. He only had the Yamaha 5.1 out of the box from bestbuy. But, I will look into this as well.

W

woodforth

Audiophyte
Yeah,it is important that you should ensure the PS3's audio output modes checked in the menu are compatible with your receiver/speaker,and try resetting the audio output to default 2
channel PCM.So you can buy from bestbuy ebay even amazon.good luck.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis