Cowon X7 Hard Drive failure. Fix? Gulp.

afterlife2

afterlife2

Audioholic Spartan
I hope I can post this here. If not please move to where this belongs. I've had this player for 9 years and love the SQ. A couple of months ago files started disappearing, Still had music files. Then recently I tried to plug in the player to my computer to see if I could access the files, but it would not show up. Slowly I guess the HD started dying. It still does boot up fine and can play the radio, but gets stuck if I try to open a Flac/Mp3 file. It barely has any music files nowadays. I think I dropped it once, but it was not a hard fall. I was wondering if I could replace the hard drive? All I need is a new hard drive and firmware software and maybe it will work? I've never tried this before and want to save it. Yes I have other players that are working, but I really like this player. I remember back in the day there was a firmware(made by some guy can't remember his name) to make it look and function better and he even added some games on it on a cowon(iaudiophile.net I think it was) type forum. Can I save it?
Firmware:
http://www.cowonglobal.com/zeroboard/zboard.php?id=C08&category=&no=541&bmenu=support&category=34
Here is the hard drive. Suppose to be the same for the ipod:
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Toshiba-16...134662&hash=item3408e1d463:g:wZYAAOSwlE5cuP0E
Can I get one that works better and fits the same, but faster than 4200 RPM or should I stick to the ebay one?

Not my pic found online.

Thank you!​

panteragstk

panteragstk

Audioholic Ninja
You could take it one step further and go SSD. Then the shock of being dropped is much less likely to ever be an issue. IMHO it'd be more reliable in general as there are no moving parts.

Your options with that ZIF PATA interface are very few.

https://www.newegg.com/p/0D9-004B-00009?Description=zif pata&cm_re=zif_pata-_-9SIA1K69132704-_-Product

BoredSysAdmin

BoredSysAdmin

Audioholic Overlord
You could take it one step further and go SSD. Then the shock of being dropped is much less likely to ever be an issue. IMHO it'd be more reliable in general as there are no moving parts.

yeah, I agree on all points. Unfortunately, PATA ZIF 1.8 SSD in decent sizes/prices are very few and between

afterlife2

afterlife2

Audioholic Spartan

https://www.newegg.com/p/0D9-004B-00009?Description=zif pata&cm_re=zif_pata-_-9SIA1K69132704-_-Product
Thanks that would be great in case of a drop. Are those faster than the one I posted? Is that the lowest price and highest gb? Quite pricey yikes.

panteragstk

panteragstk

Audioholic Ninja
Thanks that would be great in case of a drop. Are those faster than the one I posted? Is that the lowest price and highest gb? Quite pricey yikes.
With the specific connector you need your options are VERY limited. That would be a whole different world of speed compared to a 4200RPM drive unless the interface has a speed limit, which it probably does.

panteragstk

panteragstk

Audioholic Ninja
slipperybidness

slipperybidness

Audioholic Spartan
afterlife2

afterlife2

Audioholic Spartan
That won't work. He needs a 1.8" drive with a PATA ZIF connection that I've personally never seen in person. I wish it would be as easy as grabbing a normal SATA drive. He could get tons of space super cheap.
Thanks man. I'll be on the look out for a black Friday sale. There's no rush. I'm just glad I can use it again via firmware, which I better download before they take it down. Does the SSD PATA ZIF come already formatted or do I have to partition it? I've never used one.

panteragstk

panteragstk

Audioholic Ninja
Thanks man. I'll be on the look out for a black Friday sale. There's no rush. I'm just glad I can use it again via firmware, which I better download before they take it down. Does the SSD PATA ZIF come already formatted or do I have to partition it? I've never used one.
I would imagine the firmware tool you're going to use will take care of all that. You'll probably have a difficult time finding a PATA ZIF to usb/sata adapter to use your pc to format so I wouldn't worry about it.

newsletter
  • RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis