couldn't even begin to start my 2.1

Pedro Alvarado

Pedro Alvarado

Full Audioholic
i decided to make a 2.1 in the spare room and i bought an avr from ebay cheap enough. :)

i got it out of the box and all seemed well. i thumbed though sources and whatever i could do without a display connected. :cool:

i reset it to factory and turned it off before connecting anything to it.

i connected the antenna to hear the radio and plugged in my headphones. turned the avr on and i got this screen full of lights. :eek:

noting popped or buzzed and there's no odors. it does look like a cap was replaced before though.

maybe it's a sign to do something else with that room. :confused:

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Indeed looks bricked....did you let the factory reset finish before turning it off? Try a soft reset? Can you repeat the factory reset without the display?

Pedro Alvarado

Pedro Alvarado

Full Audioholic
yup, i have two of these and it's an easy process. although now it doesn't respond to anything.

it might be a simple fix but I have no experience troubleshooting electronics.

the power button changes color from amber (standby) to white (on) but not now.

i thought it might be a bad on/off switch but how could the display have lights on?

i might dig into it and get lucky. i can't make it any worse right?!

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Can't you still get your money back, doesn't ebay support the buyer on stuff like this or do you think you may have inadvertantly done something?

Pedro Alvarado

Pedro Alvarado

Full Audioholic
Can't you still get your money back, doesn't ebay support the buyer on stuff like this or do you think you may have inadvertantly done something?
i bought it as is for $75.

i can't think of anything i did that would do this to the avr.

reset, connect antenna and headphones. then dead?!

oh, i just remembered there's a fuse inside. one of those glass cylinder types.

man, if that's all that happened I'll be happy.

Phase 2

Phase 2

Audioholic Chief
i decided to make a 2.1 in the spare room and i bought an avr from ebay cheap enough. :)

i got it out of the box and all seemed well. i thumbed though sources and whatever i could do without a display connected. :cool:

i reset it to factory and turned it off before connecting anything to it.

i connected the antenna to hear the radio and plugged in my headphones. turned the avr on and i got this screen full of lights. :eek:

noting popped or buzzed and there's no odors. it does look like a cap was replaced before though.

maybe it's a sign to do something else with that room. :confused:

Well buying a used AVR, you'll likely get what you paid for used. Don't expect that AVR to be in pristine condition. Chances are that's why it was put up on ebay to begin with.#1 it's maybe outdated, #2. It has issues or #3. You may find it's not exactly as you thought it was for what your wanting to achieve with it.

Phase 2

Phase 2

Audioholic Chief
i bought it as is for $75.

i can't think of anything i did that would do this to the avr.

reset, connect antenna and headphones. then dead?!

oh, i just remembered there's a fuse inside. one of those glass cylinder types.

man, if that's all that happened I'll be happy.
Harman kardon has had HDMI issue's in the past. Good luck man, cause having it repaired will cost a lot more than what you paid for it. I just checked out your model number that 3600 is a old one and I had that same unit. It did crap out on me with HDMI issue alone with three Onkyo units. Better off trying to get you money back.

Phase 2

Phase 2

Audioholic Chief
yup, i have two of these and it's an easy process. although now it doesn't respond to anything.

it might be a simple fix but I have no experience troubleshooting electronics.

the power button changes color from amber (standby) to white (on) but not now.

i thought it might be a bad on/off switch but how could the display have lights on?

i might dig into it and get lucky. i can't make it any worse right?!
Be careful if you open up that unit, less you get electrocuted, or you may get shocked by one of those big capacitors it takes a while to charge down unplugged.

Pedro Alvarado

Pedro Alvarado

Full Audioholic
well, it is not the fuse :(

i used my multi meter and the continuity beep was loud and clear.

i have it plugged in and it looks like it is on standby mode (amber light) and the transformer is hot to the touch. the avr in the living room is cold in standby mode.

i'm no tech but the power in this thing is wonky. something is giving the wrong cue to the transformer and the display.

it looks to me like the big cap was replaced maybe even the one on the left.

Pedro Alvarado

Pedro Alvarado

Full Audioholic
Harman kardon has had HDMI issue's in the past. Good luck man, cause having it repaired will cost a lot more than what you paid for it. I just checked out your model number that 3600 is a old one and I had that same unit. It did crap out on me with HDMI issue alone with three Onkyo units. Better off trying to get you money back.
wow, three onkyo's and an h/k? i guess i shouldn't complain, the one in the living room was born in 2012 and still kickin :)

Phase 2

Phase 2

Audioholic Chief
wow, three onkyo's and an h/k? i guess i shouldn't complain, the one in the living room was born in 2012 and still kickin :)
Which manufacturer? Onkyo?
Two THX-NR818 a NR707 if I remember right and a H/K3600. Don't get me started on the Samsung 51 inch plasma TV 3D and a Samsung Blu-ray 3D player. All crapped out with in a 2 year span.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis