Could use some feedback on next speaker upgrade

D

Danzilla31

Audioholic Spartan
Hey everyone could use some help here. I'm looking to upgrade soon.

I have 3 SVS prime towers upfront for left center right. Surrounds are the Elan Theaterpoint THP650ls. 4 of em. Heights are 4 RSL C43e's in ceiling Subs are 2 SVS PB 4000's

Denon X4400H reciever 2 crown XLS 1002 amps with an Emotiva UPA-7 amp. Plan to go all crowns when I upgrade speakers. The 1502 actually.

Room is 8500 cubed feet of air big room very open layout

I'm going to upgrade the 3 fronts to SVS ultra's and then move the primes to surrounds for my base layer

Here's where I need some help. I do have some issue with the high end with the prime towers. Once in awhile I catch vigilance or just a touch of shrill with demanding highs.

Now I loved the golden ears highs I debuted but felt the primes beat them in overall dynamics bass and had just as good imaging. But the highs no question golden ear all day. Id like that type of tweeter in a better dynamic speaker then the golden ear 5 or 7's.

And in comes emotiva with there T2's for $500 each. Which seem to review very very nice. 3 ultra towers would run me 3k 3 T2's would run me 1500 half the price he'll less expensive then the prime towers in gloss that is. With dual 8 woofers 51/4 midrange and that folded tweeter that seems like a helluva lot of speaker for the money

I plan to go all matching towers for the base 7 and with Emotivas 10% discount I can basically get them all for the same price as the ultra's and flip the prime towers as well. For an even better savings.

For any ultra SVS towers or emotiva T2' owners please help me with some feedback here. Thanks!

P.S I wanted to try the JBL studio 590's but they are a little too big for ceartin spots I'd need to put them in. So I had to rule them out.

I know there's better out there but I want max bang for less buck so just feedback on these selections please. Primarily used for home theater some music have a separate room for music. Thanks again!20181210_004748.jpg20181210_004807.jpg20180827_190857.jpg

D

Danzilla31

Audioholic Spartan
I meant to say sibilance not vigilance anyone know how to turn off auto correct lol

R

Russdawg1

Full Audioholic
I personally think that T2’s are the best bang for your buck and if that is what you seek then they should be the ones you choose any day of the week and twice on Sunday :p

The SVS Ultras are good towers, but IMO overpriced. Maybe you should wait for the Prime Pinnacle to come out and see what you think before deciding.

D

Danzilla31

Audioholic Spartan
I personally think that T2’s are the best bang for your buck and if that is what you seek then they should be the ones you choose any day of the week and twice on Sunday :p

The SVS Ultras are good towers, but IMO overpriced. Maybe you should wait for the Prime Pinnacle to come out and see what you think before deciding.
Hey thanks for the feedback brother yeah I'm really leaning in that direction and I really appreciate your input. What is this prime Pinnacle? I keep pretty close to the ear on SVS and haven't heard of it

R

Russdawg1

Full Audioholic
There was a thread highlighting it on AVS where a guy got to see them at a show. I’m not sure if they’ve fully decided on Prime Pinnacle but it’s essentially the Prime tower but with the tweeter below the midrange and apparently the harshness has been fixed also. No idea on pricing. I’ll keep listening for more info.

ryanosaur

ryanosaur

Audioholic Overlord
Whatup Danzilla!!!?
You could always try just a pair of the T2s in a more critical listening situation. I know they take em back if you aren't happy, but dunno if you have to cover shipping. Was seriously interested in Emo, too... though the aimotiv looks were a bit too... man-cave for me, I guess. Likewise, seems I don't hear much in overall review about the Emos... only one article when I was shopping last year. *shrugs
Cheers!

D

Danzilla31

Audioholic Spartan
There was a thread highlighting it on AVS where a guy got to see them at a show. I’m not sure if they’ve fully decided on Prime Pinnacle but it’s essentially the Prime tower but with the tweeter below the midrange and apparently the harshness has been fixed also. No idea on pricing. I’ll keep listening for more info.
Oh my gosh you just made me life 50 more times complicated! And I love you for it! Good thing I still have some time before I pull the trigger.
Yes please do keep me posted that slight harshness and it's not always noticeable is the only reason I'm thinking about going somewhere else if that's fixed and they extend the bass response I may just have to go that route. Thanks again! Keep the input coming guys appreciate you!

D

Danzilla31

Audioholic Spartan
Whatup Danzilla!!!?
You could always try just a pair of the T2s in a more critical listening situation. I know they take em back if you aren't happy, but dunno if you have to cover shipping. Was seriously interested in Emo, too... though the aimotiv looks were a bit too... man-cave for me, I guess. Likewise, seems I don't hear much in overall review about the Emos... only one article when I was shopping last year. *shrugs
Cheers!
My brotha from another motha! What's happening they would look badass in my setup I have a man cave! Lol. Yeah I've got some time before I pull the trigger so we shall see now this prime Pinnacle info really threw me in a tailspin. Just going to have to wait and see how this all plays out plus more feedback from you guys will help out.

Emo I would debut in a heartbeat but you do have to pay return shipping SVS you don't so that is a factor. That return shipping ain't cheap on 3 of those towers I'd bet from Emo

S

shadyJ

Speaker of the House
Staff member
Hey thanks for the feedback brother yeah I'm really leaning in that direction and I really appreciate your input. What is this prime Pinnacle? I keep pretty close to the ear on SVS and haven't heard of it
The Prime Pinnacle looks to be a version of the Prime towers but with another woofer. It won't address your concerns about the treble since it is using the same tweeter. I would skip the Emotiva speakers until there is some kind verification of their performance. It's hard to make a good AMT tweeter for a budget speaker. My hunch is that they would probably lose a lot of their fanfare if some real measurements were ever made public. If you want something with a totally awesome AMT, look at the RBH Signature Reference speakers- but they are pricey. With the SVS Ultras, much of what you are paying for is the 8" subs, but since you already have some PB-4000s, you wouldn't be taking advantage of those too much, unless you ran them full range.

S

snakeeyes

Audioholic Ninja
So if you have time, maybe audition a few other brands too. I’m going to consider Canton Vento and Focal Aria and Revel Concerta2 and Philharmonic BMRs for my 5.1.4 I’m thinking that will be next winter or early 2020 since I do not want to carry a CC balance. :)

D

Danzilla31

Audioholic Spartan
The Prime Pinnacle looks to be a version of the Prime towers but with another woofer. It won't address your concerns about the treble since it is using the same tweeter. I would skip the Emotiva speakers until there is some kind verification of their performance. It's hard to make a good AMT tweeter for a budget speaker. My hunch is that they would probably lose a lot of their fanfare if some real measurements were ever made public. If you want something with a totally awesome AMT, look at the RBH Signature Reference speakers- but they are pricey. With the SVS Ultras, much of what you are paying for is the 8" subs, but since you already have some PB-4000s, you wouldn't be taking advantage of those too much, unless you ran them full range.
Hey Shady thanks for your input I believe some reviews came out for the T2's with measurements which looked pretty darn good part of why I'm so interested in them. Luckily I still have like 2 or 3 months before I want to do this so I can wait and see on all of this. But I really appreciate the info. Yeah I contacted SVS and they have zero info on those Pinnacles. This is the second time that's happened they did the same thing to the customer service reps on the 3000 series the tone I kind off heard from the reps is they are not too happy about that. So we shall see I guess let the advice keep flowing guys appreciate you!

D

Danzilla31

Audioholic Spartan
I would love the RBH signature line but they are too much for what I want to budget. They are amazing speakers. I'm so jealous of Genes dream speakers in his setup from them!

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
I do have some issue with the high end with the prime towers. Once in awhile I catch sibilance or just a touch of shrill with demanding highs.

Now I loved the golden ears highs I debuted but felt the primes beat them in overall dynamics bass and had just as good imaging. But the highs no question golden ear all day. Id like that type of tweeter in a better dynamic speaker then the golden ear 5 or 7's.
I think discounts don't matter if any part of the sound bothers you.

And it seems like your hearing is sensitive to the treble.

So I wouldn't buy anything until you can listen to the same treble sounds and be happy with it.

I was looking at the GoldenEar Triton Seven on Sound and Vision Magazine Online. It appears to have a +5dB peak around 13-15kHz (+/-4.5dB response up to 15kHz), but overall response is still +/-3dB below 11kHz.

https://www.soundandvision.com/content/goldenear-technology-triton-seven-speaker-system-test-bench

ryanosaur

ryanosaur

Audioholic Overlord
Hey Shady thanks for your input I believe some reviews came out for the T2's with measurements which looked pretty darn good part of why I'm so interested in them. Luckily I still have like 2 or 3 months before I want to do this so I can wait and see on all of this. But I really appreciate the info. Yeah I contacted SVS and they have zero info on those Pinnacles. This is the second time that's happened they did the same thing to the customer service reps on the 3000 series the tone I kind off heard from the reps is they are not too happy about that. So we shall see I guess let the advice keep flowing guys appreciate you!
Marketing 101... show just a little to get'em talking... then, when they turn around, grease it up and hit'em wit the mule! :eek:

S

snakeeyes

Audioholic Ninja
@Danzilla31 , are you a musician or did you play a certain instrument? Maybe you can pick out which instruments sound wrong on your tweeters?

ryanosaur

ryanosaur

Audioholic Overlord
I thought that the T2’s have been well received by now. I know multiple people who have finished their audio journey with them.

Here is the Prime Pinnacle link:

SVS Prime Pinnacle 3-Way Towers Spotted at CES 2019
https://www.avsforum.com/forum/89-speakers/3041934-svs-prime-pinnacle-3-way-towers-spotted-ces-2019-a.html
Thanks R-Dawg! :cool:

@Danzilla31 , have you experimented with toeing your L/R out to be more perpendicular to the wall? Might take a little heat off your earholes. ;)

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
I would love the RBH signature line but they are too much for what I want to budget. They are amazing speakers. I'm so jealous of Genes dream speakers in his setup from them!
I love my RBH speakers, but even the latest SVTR Reference tower is pretty neutral/linear from 20Hz-20kHz - there is no +5dB peak in the treble like the GoldenEar, B&W, and new Paradigm speakers.

IOW, if you love the treble in the GoldenEar, you might not like speakers that don't have a +5dB peak in the 10-15kHz treble.

D

Danzilla31

Audioholic Spartan
Hey Shady hometheaterhifi.com did a pretty in depth review of the T2's with measurements maybe when you have time you could browse that article tell me if that review is any good or if they are good speakers based on what is reviewed there.
My only concern is there is some feedback that they struggle a bit when played really loud like 110db loud but I dont think I ever hit that level at home although I do crank it sometimes. That's one plus on SVS side those primes never struggle no matter how hard you go they actually seem to like it!

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis