highfigh

highfigh

Seriously, I have no life.
Countries like Germany need countries like Greece to keep the Euro currency from appreciating, which would make their exports uncompetitive.
I was referring to feeding Greece massive amounts of money in return for very little and the tendency of labor strikes.

Trell

Trell

Audioholic Spartan
Countries like Germany need countries like Greece to keep the Euro currency from appreciating, which would make their exports uncompetitive.
I believe that more than a few Germans wants a return to the D-Mark and incidentally at the height of the Euro crises(es) people wanted Euro bills issued by Germany.

People forget or don't know, in general (not you GO-NAD), that the entire Greece economy is basically a rounding error in the big scheme of things.

That said, the Euro zone still has no mechanism for automatic transfers in case of a financial crises, which deepens the crisis and the hardship of the population with Greece forced to an internal devaluation. For the US members this is like some US state had to make some hard cuts to their budget and at the same time Social Security and Medicare was cut off.

Like @TLS Guy I think the Euro zone is a very badly implemented, though the EU internal market with it's rules is a powerful boon to small countries, and this is why I disagree with him on Norway joining a trade deal with UK as such.

GO-NAD!

GO-NAD!

Audioholic Spartan
I believe that more than a few Germans wants a return to the D-Mark and incidentally at the height of the Euro crises(es) people wanted Euro bills issued by Germany.

People forget or don't know, in general (not you GO-NAD), that the entire Greece economy is basically a rounding error in the big scheme of things.

That said, the Euro zone still has no mechanism for automatic transfers in case of a financial crises, which deepens the crisis and the hardship of the population with Greece forced to an internal devaluation. For the US members this is like some US state had to make some hard cuts to their budget and at the same time Social Security and Medicare was cut off.

Like @TLS Guy I think the Euro zone is a very badly implemented, though the EU internal market with it's rules is a powerful boon to small countries, and this is why I disagree with him on Norway joining a trade deal with UK as such.
While I can understand some Germans impatience with countries like Greece, but it's the PIGS* that make German exports at all competitive, by keeping the value of the Euro down. If they reverted to the Deutschmark, their exports would plummet.

*Portugal, Italy, Greece and Spain

M

Mr._Clark

Audioholic Samurai
I wonder if the vaccine effects the younger people a little more. say under 50 and more females than males. Maybe it has something to do with the immune system.
I've wondered the same thing. I've frequently read that younger people tend to have stronger immune systems. Perhaps younger people have stronger immune responses to the jabs which results in symptoms.

This is anecdotal, but I know quite a few people 65 and older who have gotten the vaccine with no side effects other than perhaps feeling slightly tired the next day. I only know a couple people under 50 who've gotten it. One had no symptoms, and one (in his late 30s) had very mild flu-like symptoms the day after the second jab, but then nothing.

I don't know anyone who's had any reaction that's anywhere near serious.

Trell

Trell

Audioholic Spartan
While I can understand some Germans impatience with countries like Greece, but it's the PIGS* that make German exports at all competitive, by keeping the value of the Euro down. If they reverted to the Deutschmark, their exports would plummet.

*Portugal, Italy, Greece and Spain
I know what PIGS means, and frankly, I really dislike that term and it's connotations.

For Germany the Euro is a real boon but their resistance to transfers in general could very well be the downfall of the Euro.

GO-NAD!

GO-NAD!

Audioholic Spartan
I know what PIGS means, and frankly, I really dislike that term and it's connotations.

For Germany the Euro is a real boon but their resistance to transfers in general could very well be the downfall of the Euro.
I figured you knew - it was for the benefit of anyone who might not. And, I understand your distaste for the acronym.

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

The WHO has reaffirmed that the AstraZeneca vaccine is safe, and have encouraged its continued distribution. What stated in Europe scared people in Thailand. What these European nations did yesterday was totally irresponsible. Even the EU regulator disagreed with them.

J

Jeepers

Full Audioholic
Out of curiosity; how long again are these vaccines (jabs/shots) effective ?

Irvrobinson

Irvrobinson

Audioholic Spartan
UNless something changes and new data comes out, like you noted 'Too soon to tell,. This could be a once a year shot like the flu shot for those that take it.
Yup. The CEO of Johnson & Johnson recently predicted COVID vaccines might go annual.

J

Jeepers

Full Audioholic
What is your point?
I already knew the answer to my question. I watch the news (domestically, BBC, CNN) and have several doctors in my family.

I read this thread with much interest but I am really fed up with this thread becoming an anti-EU thread under the leadership of his Lordship TLS Guy. The people in the EU (me included) know very well the shortcomings/failures of the EU.

So to all of you; for this thread please stick to the subject i.e. COVID-19 and know that getting your shots won't make you immune for the rest of your life.

highfigh

highfigh

I already knew the answer to my question. I watch the news (domestically, BBC, CNN) and have several doctors in my family.

So to all of you; for this thread please stick to the subject i.e. COVID-19 and know that getting your shots won't make you immune for the rest of your life.
One thing I would like to know- why did this happen when it did? Obviously, that's a hard one to answer because they still haven't pinned it down to one definitive source, but I really have to wonder about the timing.

Irvrobinson

Irvrobinson

Audioholic Spartan
Cynicism and condescension are not great tools for winning support.

I read this thread with much interest but I am really fed up with this thread becoming an anti-EU thread under the leadership of his Lordship TLS Guy. The people in the EU (me included) know very well the shortcomings/failures of the EU.
I think it's only fair that if we have to put up with Trell and his ultra-progressive rhetoric about the US, it doesn't bother me that you have to put up with TLSGuy and his EU ranting. Some of our US state governors are making so many illogical decisions about COVID19 responses that I think we're running a good contest on ill-conceived plans with several EU countries and the EU government.

You've got to be kidding. This is The Steam Vent. If you're looking for posting discipline you've come to the wrong place. As for the vaccines not conferring permanent immunity, I have yet to see anyone here claim or expect that they would.

Trell

Trell

Audioholic Spartan
I think it's only fair that if we have to put up with Trell and his ultra-progressive rhetoric about the US, it doesn't bother me that you have to put up with TLSGuy and his EU ranting.
From the view point of someone on the very far right of the political spectrum I'm ultra-progressive, of course. To most others I'm more or less in the center on most issues.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis