Coronavirus: When Would You Turn The Country Back On?

highfigh

highfigh

Seriously, I have no life.
Agreed. It sucks, but also its a first-world problem.
It really is. So many have had everything they could possibly want, yet they seem to always want more. When I was a kid and I said I wanted something, my Mom occasionally said "I used to complain that I had no shoes until I met a man with no feet". Her childhood was nothing I would want for anyone, yet she and her cousin would talk about it as if they had the best times. She was born in 1923, so the Depression and dust bowl were just more years of crap before WWII.

Trell

Trell

Audioholic Spartan
never heard that complaint leveled against the 'greatest generation' ..........
I must admit that I have not, personally, heard that contemporaneously as at that time I was just one lucky egg in mommy's ovary. But history has a way to rewrite itself as time passes.

KEW

KEW

Audioholic Overlord
It really is. So many have had everything they could possibly want, yet they seem to always want more. When I was a kid and I said I wanted something, my Mom occasionally said "I used to complain that I had no shoes until I met a man with no feet". Her childhood was nothing I would want for anyone, yet she and her cousin would talk about it as if they had the best times. She was born in 1923, so the Depression and dust bowl were just more years of crap before WWII.
"... and we liked it!" :)

There is something to be said for growing up in a time where things would only get better!

Trell

Trell

Audioholic Spartan
"... and we liked it!" :)

There is something to be said for growing up in a time where things would only get better!
That might not be the case any more for our children, even for many in our own generation that has not been the case. Those that entered the Greater Recession in 2008 had a hard time getting employed along with lower pay (even accumulated life-time). I think the same will happen to those graduating now, so I think that your daughter's worry is absolutely warranted, I'm sad to say.

KEW

KEW

Audioholic Overlord
That might not be the case any more for our children, even for many in our own generation that has not been the case. Those that entered the Greater Recession in 2008 had a hard time getting employed along with lower pay (even accumulated life-time). I think the same will happen to those graduating now, so I think that your daughter's worry is absolutely warranted, I'm sad to say.
Well, I only mentioned her disappointment in having her senior year of college cut short, but certainly she is worried about the future as well any sane person should be.
I do wish her future only held first world problems!

Last edited:
JerryLove

JerryLove

Audioholic Samurai
never heard that complaint leveled against the 'greatest generation' ..........
The August 13, 1927 issue of the Southeast Missourian reads: “Modern Youth on Down Grade.” Dr. Stagg, director of athletics at the University of Chicago declares, “It is [youth] guilty of more violations of morality and honesty than ever before” (“Mothers Blamed by Dr. Stagg” 1). Inez Haynes Irwin, a renowned feminist, is also abashed by the perceived lack of morals of the Greatest Generation. She protested youth in the August 21, 1927 issue of the Milwaukee Journal, “They are frightful, terrible, horrible. They have no manners. They have no morals. They race around in automobiles all day, and they dance in cabarets all night. They smoke. They drink.” They are also guilty of a lack of social responsibility (Irwin), an observation entirely inconsistent with a generation that would later fight genocide. “New Generation of Lazy Youths Roaming Nation” reads a title in the July 28, 1934 issue of the Spokane Daily Chronicle. A columnist complains about “shiftless boys…growing into manhood with no more ambition than to rove around the country” (“New Generation of Lazy Youths” 15). These boys would be fighting a war in just a few years and might have been “roaming” the nation because of the collapse of world economies that left thirty million Americans jobless.

Another disgruntled adult, George J. Chandler wrote to the Milwaukee Sentinel in October of 1940 lamenting youth with their “gambling, drinking and erotic pastimes.” He also accuses them of the horrendous crime of dancing the Jitterbug as opposed to ballroom and preferring swing over classical (Chandler). Also writing to the Milwaukee Sentinel in October 19, 1941, is an actual member of this godless generation who finds fault among her peers when she ponders, “What is wrong with America’s young people?” She expresses her rage at how they “expect the world to be brought to them on a silver platter” (Creed). While little empirical data exists on the characteristics of this generation, one does not need a fancy graph to know these statements sound familiar

Mikado463

Mikado463

Audioholic Spartan
gambling, drinking and erotic pastimes.............damn, those were the good old days !!

JerryLove

JerryLove

Audioholic Samurai
Longer than that: real purchasing power at median wage has been falling since the 1980s.

About the same time we overhauled the tax system (dropping top marginal from 70% to 28%), started the attack on unions, started the deregulation of banking, and corporate welfare.

Trell

Trell

Audioholic Spartan
Well, I only mentioned her disappointment in having her senior year of college cut short, but certainly she is worried about the future as well any sane person should be.
I wish her future only held first world problems!
From your post she seems to be a very sensible person so I just assumed that she was worried about that as well.

KEW

KEW

Audioholic Overlord
Another disgruntled adult, George J. Chandler wrote to the Milwaukee Sentinel in October of 1940 lamenting youth with their “... erotic pastimes.”
Did George offer any specifics on this?
Or does anyone else have any ideas? (I think this pre-dates Twister!)
Jerry, you've now got me inspired to become a "student of history"!

3db

3db

Audioholic Slumlord
Germany is looking at opening up cautiously as well but they have the testing infrastucture in place, the ability to test 600000 people a week with the ability to get test results in short order.

Trell

Trell

Audioholic Spartan
Longer than that: real purchasing power at median wage has been falling since the 1980s.

About the same time we overhauled the tax system (dropping top marginal from 70% to 28%), started the attack on unions, started the deregulation of banking, and corporate welfare.
Absolutely, and I came aware of that from the work of E. Warren before the Greater Recession (The Two-Income Trap and All Your Worth, along with interviews). Living in Scandinavia I grew up with real income increase almost every year at that time (though there here people falling behind as well).

Edit: Around the Greater Recession I cited Warren's work on a finance forum, oblivious to the political tones associated with her at that time, I quoted some of her work. Some dudes complained to the moderater that wrote a post saying (paraphrasing from memory) "Some have complained that Warren is a liberal and that the forum rules does not allow political posts, but I fail to see how the post could be more on-topic". :D

Last edited:
D

Danzilla31

Audioholic Spartan
Excellent observation I'm very concerned for my nephews and nieces on this but I'm fortunate enough and my other brothers and sisters and my parents are that well be able to help them through some of this

My heart goes out to those that can't do that right now

I've already told them if things get rough since they can't find a lottof work right now just to get down here if they need a place to stay for a couple weeks

D

Danzilla31

Audioholic Spartan
Did George offer any specifics on this?
Or does anyone else have any ideas? (I think this pre-dates Twister!)
Jerry, you've now got me inspired to become a "student of history"!
I'm going to write a paper on social isolation the art of how to truly enjoy your ports!!!! :D

D

Danzilla31

Audioholic Spartan
Of course we have written records for this, right? ;) :D
When I was in college a history course I took I remember a note from a Roman citizen complaining about his son and the youth of that generation always complaining about there hair hanging out in the baths no respect for there elders partying too much I never ever forgot about that I got such a huge kick out of it around the time Christ walked the earth you had parents complaining about there kids always puts a smile on my face just thinking about it

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis