K

Kfox1970

Junior Audioholic
Not familiar with what you'd have to do to create better setup, but hard to believe it would need reconstruction! But then I'm not there....
If you look in the first pic, that entire wall behind the couch on the left is a kitchen(basement was set up to be an in-law suite). Obviously the stove on the wall to the right of the tv in the 2nd pic. To the left of the tv is sliding glass doors all the way to the steps leading upstairs. If the stove wasn’t opposite the couch on the right, the wall behind the couch would work. With the stove there I’d have to put the couch in front of the stove which would look ridiculous and block the wall way through the room

ski2xblack

ski2xblack

Audioholic Field Marshall
Don't despair over a corner setup. Everything has some compromises.

When I faced a very similar layout as yours, the corner orientation did not adversely effect imaging. In fact, there were less early reflections simply due to the speaker position and orientation, which was beneficial. Using identical L, C, and R mains helped. We also placed a couch diagonally, kind of out in the room, in the sweet spot facing the television. The sub was tucked in the corner behind the tv (bad for modes, but good for sensitivity/output).

It may not have been perfect, but it worked really well, actually.

Last edited:
K

Kfox1970

Junior Audioholic
Don't despair over a corner setup. Everything has some compromises.

When I faced a very similar layout as yours, the corner orientation did not adversely effect imaging. In fact, there were less early reflections simply due to the speaker position and orientation, which was beneficial. Using identical L, C, and R mains helped. We also placed a couch diagonally, kind of out in the room, in the sweet spot facing the television. The sub was tucked in the corner behind the tv (bad for modes, but good for sensitivity/output).

It may not have been perfect, but it worked really well, actually.
Do you agree that bookshelves out wider is better than towers right next to either side of tv stand?

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

Seriously, I have no life.
Do you agree that bookshelves out wider is better than towers right next to either side of tv stand?
That is a difficult location. It really requires custom designed speakers. Off the shelf speakers will have a lot of low end reinforcement with that corner location. In addition you are planning to place the speakers on the wall. Speakers are designed pretty much uniformly now to be placed 14" from boundaries, or more. This is because of the transition frequency from full space to half space radiator. This requires a bass boost dependent on the width of the front baffle.

So a custom design would improve results greatly. Absent that, I would use good bookshelves preferably on stands rather then up against the wall, and one or two subs.
I would not use a center as the speakers are too close together. That room like many, is totally unsuitable for surround sound, so I would save your money on that, and invest in higher quality speakers and sub or subs.

ski2xblack

ski2xblack

Yes. Ours were as widely spaced as the couch or slightly wider, which landed them about 7' out from the corner, and a couple feet away from each side of the tv. Given your somewhat further distance and dual couch layout, wide placement of the L and R should be a goal, and smaller stand mounted speakers are more versatile.

TLS makes an important point that will help you narrow down your speaker choice. In my case, the speakers used were intended for wall mounting, as they lacked bsc altogether. If your placement options and limitations dictate a wall mount, then a similarly unconventional speaker is in order. If you have the room to accommodate a free standing stand mount speaker, you'll have more options to choose from with a more conventional speaker.

Last edited:
Eppie

Eppie

Audioholic Ninja
Not sure what your budget is, but surface mount speakers are an option similar to using bookshelves. I have a friend with an office space that contains a projection screen and he used B&W surface mount speakers as he could not mount in-wall and did not have space for stands or towers. Similar to these B&W AM1. Intended for outdoor use but work fine indoors as well. When combined with the proper subwoofer you can make due with smaller speakers. Some bookshelves have threaded hardware for wall mounting if that would be preferred to stands. If you have a budget in mind we could make some suggestions.

K

Kfox1970

Junior Audioholic
Not sure what your budget is, but surface mount speakers are an option similar to using bookshelves. I have a friend with an office space that contains a projection screen and he used B&W surface mount speakers as he could not mount in-wall and did not have space for stands or towers. Similar to these B&W AM1. Intended for outdoor use but work fine indoors as well. When combined with the proper subwoofer you can make due with smaller speakers. Some bookshelves have threaded hardware for wall mounting if that would be preferred to stands. If you have a budget in mind we could make some suggestions.
I’m looking to spend around $1500, maybe $2,000 at the most for the whole system

K

Kfox1970

Junior Audioholic
Sitting in the room thinking about it. I think I have an idea. It may be a little annoying but I could use towers. I can put the one on the right about 4-5 feet to the right of the tv. I could set the one on the left right next to the tv but when watching tv/movie down there I could just move it 4-5 to left while using it then move it back when done so it’s not in the way. How does that sound?

edit: each one would be slightly forward of the tv doing it this way.

Last edited:
Eppie

Eppie

Audioholic Ninja
Sitting in the room thinking about it. I think I have an idea. It may be a little annoying but I could use towers. I can put the one on the right about 4-5 feet to the right of the tv. I could set the one on the left right next to the tv but when watching tv/movie down there I could just move it 4-5 to left while using it then move it back when done so it’s not in the way. How does that sound?

edit: each one would be slightly forward of the tv doing it this way.
Personally, I think that would get annoying real fast. You might get away with using teflon coated pads under one to slide it around more easily, but I'd worry about damaging or scratching it when having to move it that often. I prefer to keep my speakers in pristine condition if possible. If you can mount something smaller on the wall then that would hopefully leave room on the floor for a subwoofer.

K

Kfox1970

Junior Audioholic
Personally, I think that would get annoying real fast. You might get away with using teflon coated pads under one to slide it around more easily, but I'd worry about damaging or scratching it when having to move it that often. I prefer to keep my speakers in pristine condition if possible. If you can mount something smaller on the wall then that would hopefully leave room on the floor for a subwoofer.
I would only have to move the left one. The right one would be able to stay. I think I have plenty of places for a sub, possibly two.

K

Kfox1970

Junior Audioholic
Gonna try to link this review I just read.
Hopefully that worked. This review was just done yesterday. Sounds like this is a pretty new system. Has anyone heard one yet? What would you guys think about this system for my situation. Remember guys, I’m just trying to get an improvement over the $500 Yamaha theatre in a box set up I got from Best Buy that the amp has died.

I’m thinking I’d get the duo with the 2 subs

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
I like that it uses the WISA standard for wireless, so that part should work well. The speakers and sub look to be meh, tho, what with such small drivers in the main speakers (L/R/C).

K

Kfox1970

Junior Audioholic
I like that it uses the WISA standard for wireless, so that part should work well. The speakers and sub look to be meh, tho, what with such small drivers in the main speakers (L/R/C).
Figured there had to be a catch

Eppie

Eppie

Audioholic Ninja
The fact that it received THX certification is a good sign, despite the drivers being on the smaller side. If your room is not that large, two 10" subs may be sufficient, especially if you don't plan to play it very loud. Your TV would be the connection point for other devices and you would connect the TV to the Enclave. For the Enclave you need to consider mounting and wiring. Each speaker needs a power outlet. Only the two rear speakers have a threaded mount option. The mains only have keyholes for wall hanging so they would mount flat on the wall, not angled. If you need them angled you would need stands or a wall shelf as they're too short to sit on the floor. The rears just need to be aimed near your main seating position. You also need to be comfortable working with a cell phone app as the system needs to be configured via an app. Given all that, might be a good option in your price range.

Have to see what else is available in separates but if you need a receiver, 5 speakers and sub or two then $1500 or $2000 gets eaten up pretty quickly. For example, RSL has the CG3 line and a 5.1 setup (5 speakers 1 sub) is about $1000 and you can add a second sub for under the $1500 mark. (The RSL Speedwoofer is one the better 10" subs around.) The RSLs have both keyhole and threaded mounting, so more flexible mounting options. They received a very good review on Audioholics. That still leaves room for adding a new receiver. Their CG5 line is even better, but then you're looking at over $2000 for a 5.1 setup plus the cost of a receiver.

Last edited:
Eppie

Eppie

Audioholic Ninja
If you prefer to have towers, Fluance has three options in your price range. The Fluance Elite 5.1 package is $730, Reference package for $1190 or step up to the Fluance Signature package for $1480. The Signature towers were reviewed on Audioholics and were a recommendation at that price range.

Paradigm is another reputable brand and they have the Monitor SE Line if you want front towers, or the Cinema series package if you want to wall mount the speakers. (They can sit on small stands or be mounted with brackets that allow tilting. See the Downloads section for the manual to see the installation options.) The Monitor line is a little over budget. For the 3000F towers, Atom surrounds and 2000C center you're looking $1470 plus a subwoofer and receiver. Some other options as well if none of those float your boat.

K

Kfox1970

Junior Audioholic
If you prefer to have towers, Fluance has three options in your price range. The Fluance Elite 5.1 package is $730, Reference package for $1190 or step up to the Fluance Signature package for $1480. The Signature towers were reviewed on Audioholics and were a recommendation at that price range.

Paradigm is another reputable brand and they have the Monitor SE Line if you want front towers, or the Cinema series package if you want to wall mount the speakers. (They can sit on small stands or be mounted with brackets that allow tilting. See the Downloads section for the manual to see the installation options.) The Monitor line is a little over budget. For the 3000F towers, Atom surrounds and 2000C center you're looking $1470 plus a subwoofer and receiver. Some other options as well if none of those float your boat.
Looking at the Fluance site. Given my room situation, would I be better off with their Signature 5.1 setup at $1429 or the reference 7.1 system at $1609 to get the extra 2 speakers?

ski2xblack

ski2xblack

Given the inherent limitations, you might consider reeling it in a bit. Your budget would cover a higher caliber 2.1 or 3.1 setup over a half assed implementation of 5.1 in a room that really doesn't accommodate it.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis