K

Kfox1970

Junior Audioholic
I am very new to all this. I have another thread going about what equipment I’m going to get. I have now realized that may depend on the way I’m going to set it all up. The only option I have is to place the tv in the corner of a roughly 17x24 room in the basement. I was going to do towers for the front left and right but the only place to put them would be right next to the tv stand on either side. Am I better off doing bookshelves that I can mount a little wider on the wall?

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
No way to avoid corner placement? That's just not a great way to go in the first place....

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Well not exactly best seating to enjoy proper imaging from good speaker placement either. I'd still spread 'em out a bit wider than speakers simply flanking a tv. Where will you put surrounds, etc?

K

Kfox1970

Junior Audioholic
The surrounds will have to go on the walls to the right and left of the couches a little out of the view of the picture. I know it’s not ideal but I have no other option. So I guess I need bookshelves for the fronts.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
The surrounds will have to go on the walls to the right and left of the couches a little out of the view of the picture. I know it’s not ideal but I have no other option. So I guess I need bookshelves for the fronts.
How would you mount bookshelves particularly? I prefer stands for such, which really makes them little different from a tower's footprint. Depends on room size/speakers somewhat....where will subs go?

ps Understand about room use limitations getting in the way....they often do.

K

Kfox1970

Junior Audioholic
My only other possibility, which I don’t really think would work is the wall to left of the picture has a gas stove sitting on a brick hearth and the brick runs up the wall to the ceiling. The stove has a flue that comes out the top about 2 feet, turns 90 degrees. And goes through the brick. There might be barely enough room to mount the tv to the wall, if it can be mounted to brick somehow, but I would assume the heat coming off the stove and flue would not be good for the tv.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
My only other possibility, which I don’t really think would work is the wall to left of the picture has a gas stove sitting on a brick hearth and the brick runs up the wall to the ceiling. The stove has a flue that comes out the top about 2 feet, turns 90 degrees. And goes through the brick. There might be barely enough room to mount the tv to the wall, if it can be mounted to brick somehow, but I would assume the heat coming off the stove and flue would not be good for the tv.
Pics for that area? Doesn't sound good, tho.

K

Kfox1970

Junior Audioholic
How would you mount bookshelves particularly? I prefer stands for such, which really makes them little different from a tower's footprint. Depends on room size/speakers somewhat....where will subs go?

ps Understand about room use limitations getting in the way....they often do.
I will have to use wall mounts of some sort. Haven’t figured out sub placement yet. What would you suggest?

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Yeah the stove, if used, that area doesn't look like much of an alternative. Subs generally go where they need to go in a room, somewhat like good screen/speaker placement, and you're already compromised, so.....

Where can you place subs I think is a better question :)

Some decent wall mounts that can take a fairly substantial speaker is something like the Pinpoint AM40 and similar versions (if not the same, just different brands) like VideoSecu might be an idea for you but still place the speaker very close to the wall which may not be ideal depending on speaker used. But then ideal is sort of tossed already :)

K

Kfox1970

Junior Audioholic
I’ll look into those mounts. So towers are out I guess.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Towers aren't really needed to an extent, especially if you can't place them off the wall appropriately. Assume foot traffic or WAF is involved in limiting the audio capabilities :)

K

Kfox1970

Junior Audioholic
The living room on the first floor would be a much better set up but part of the point of doing this in the basement is I’m a night owl and my wife goes to bed early. She’s constantly telling me to turn the tv down to the point I have trouble hearing what’s being said.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
The living room on the first floor would be a much better set up but part of the point of doing this in the basement is I’m a night owl and my wife goes to bed early. She’s constantly telling me to turn the tv down to the point I have trouble hearing what’s being said.
But you're not "allowed" to change the overall use of that room down there to save her the effort of telling you to turn it down? Just asking....am not married and that kind of nonsense wouldn't fly with me. :) There's always headphones, altho personally hate using them.

K

Kfox1970

Junior Audioholic
I could change the room somewhat if want to. She’s not telling me I can’t. It would just take major construction to do that and I don’t want to deal with all that. Not to mention the cost.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Not familiar with what you'd have to do to create better setup, but hard to believe it would need reconstruction! But then I'm not there....

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis