Converting a "Bouncy House" speaker into a good Surround Speaker

KirkJBL590

KirkJBL590

Junior Audioholic
I prefer a direct as well as a diffuse sound field for the surround channels. The best thing that has come out for us non Dolby Atmos guys are the upfiring speakers.

I have a pair of the pioneer SP-BS22A-LR and converted it to one speaker by wiring both sets of drivers in series. You can do this safely with this particular speaker due to both sets of drivers being two separate speakers in one cabinet and using two separate crossovers. I confirmed this by Andrew Jones in many YouTube videos. His Atmos towers you can't do this with because the Atmos bass driver is being rolled off into the front firing driver via the crossover network. In other words, both sets of drivers are connected inside. The SP- BS22A-LR is not. Wiring the Pioneers in series yields about 10 ohms using a multi-meter versus a parallel connection that is below two or three ohms. I set the crossover to 120hz. Works fine, no problems with the 4 inch Atmos driver. Probaby could set it to 100hz and still be fine. It shares the input with the other drivers.

After setting levels and delay, i got exactly what i was looking for. A nice direct, diffuse and spacious sound. The speakers are placed to the sides on three foot stands, facing into my listening position and of course, Atmos drivers firing upward into the ceiling. Thought i would share this idea. Works fantastic...

Last edited:
newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis