M

MrBoat

Audioholic Ninja
I have been putting some hours on these speakers since completing them and maybe my ears are not good judges but, damn, does the RS28A-4 tweeters sound excellent!

Is this just me? I have been really putting some hours on these and there was no user break-in period needed, or realized. I loved these speakers the moment I turned them on. I was skeptical choosing a design with an aluminum tweeter. Seems there are some die hard biases with regard to soft dome or metal dome tweeter preferences. I figured I'd be more of a soft dome type. I am easy to please in the higher treble ranges, as long as it doesn't grate my eardrums. I'm usually ok, and never really took notice of which I preferred, or, if that's just another one of those audiophool, self-inflicted preferences.

Either way, this metal tweeter has to be the exception to that bias.

M

MrBoat

Audioholic Ninja
Rotated this Continuum design into play with the tabletop setup. I haven't tried these in this situation yet, even though this is pretty much what they were designed for, in essence of the LS3/5a.

I swapped out the Paul Carmody Speedsters that I have been listening to later in the evenings in this spot. I had forgotten just how sweet these speakers are and that most wonderful RS28A-4 tweeter. I have them connected to the Fosi Audio BT30D Pro budget amp, along with the same 8" sealed peerless budget sub firing half under the table.

I have two of these peerless subs, and I have enough veneer to match each one to these and the Speedsters as two very sound quality capable portable systems. I have to say, Jeff Bagby really created some excellent designs and I when I first cranked them up this morning, it made me glad I chose this design to add to my fleet.

Here to report that I am still using these occasionally, 5 years on by now, if anyone finds this thread that is considering building them. This was always one of my questions when searching speaker designs and wondering how people were getting along with their choices in the long term.

M

MrBoat

Audioholic Ninja
Have been listening to these every night since Tuesday. You know a speaker is decent when you can sit at a table, listening for hours and not doing anything else except focusing on each song. Last night, I kept meaning to stop but each song that came on was a good one and I did not end up prying myself from these until 2 AM. Sitting here typing this post, it also occurs to me that I can't wait to do it all again tonight after work over a couple beers.

Admittedly, I have no 'golden ears' and I can't really give a damn about the audiophilia perpetual chase of perfection or concerns, other than low distortion and solid, balanced, believable performance. In other words, I don't have the attention span to really grade speaker quality beyond what I hear.

Speakers like these, that I spent roughly $300 for the kit a few years ago, is exactly why I will never see the value in a pair of bookshelf speakers costing 10, or even 5x as much.

I do have another set of these NLA tweeters though, and am considering building the partial original kit that Meniscus audio still has available for those who have them. This time in H. mahogany perhaps. These have truncated faceplates but I could likely fashion some round ones at work since I have aluminum flat stock of this thickness.

I believe these were manufactured by Usher audio and rebranded by Dayton, perhaps. Either way, in light of these recent listening sessions, I feel fortunate to have them.

M

MrBoat

Audioholic Ninja
I should add this video of Jeff here explaining this design.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis