Consumer Advisory:Emotiva

P

PhilCohen

Audioholic
If you are reading this months after I posted, then the issues that I'm about to discuss MAY have been resolved by then, but, nevertheless, I advise you, that prior to ordering from Emotiva, contact the company by e-mail or telephone them to confirm that they have the parts to manufacture the product that you intend to order, because Emotiva charges your credit card immediately upon receiving your order.
As you know, in the U.S.A., Emotiva sells only direct to the consumer via its' website. They manufacture to order, and keep no parts or completed products in stock.The company manufactures in the U.S.A. "from U.S.A. and globally sourced components". The problem is with those "globally sourced components". As of the date of my typing this (January 26,2019), Emotiva had recently had four shipments of imported parts detained or impounded by U.S. Customs. Without those imported parts, Emotiva can't manufacture anything. I had recently ordered an "XPA-7,Gen.3" power amplifier, and had immediately been charged $1999. I cancelled my order and they have supposedly issued a refund, which (they claim) will appear in my credit card account in 5 to 7 days.
Emotiva's policy of immediately charging the customers' credit cards before the company is ready to ship (or even begin manufacturing) a product, is, at best, questionable, and, under the present circumstances, unethical. They continue to accept orders for products that they can't presently manufacture.
If Emotiva wasn't immediately charging customers' credit cards, there would have been no risk (to me) in continuing to wait a month or two, to see if Emotiva can resolve their parts supply crisis, but since I had already been charged, it would have been a stressful, unacceptable monetary risk to continue waiting. No parts = No products to sell to customers. No Parts = no parts to repair the products already in consumers' hands.
To clarify, I am not telling you to boycott the company, but I am advising you to procede with caution. Verify that the company has the parts to manufacture the product BEFORE you order it.

M Code

M Code

Audioholic General
US Customs will frequently put a hold on an incoming shipment..
But the key issue why the hold??
Here are some of the primary reasons for a hold:
  • Manifest hold, documentation is incomplete
  • Invoice paperwork undervalues the goods, attempting to decrease subject shipment value and import duties
  • Infringement of patent, trademark, copyright
  • Product fails to meet safety standards
  • Carrier is in default, past due for customs duty $ payments
We handle multiple incoming import shipments through US Customs, and very rarely had any held up...
And if delayed usually only 2-3 days.
U should should get clarification from Emotiva, if they hesitate to respond I would move on.

Just my $0.02... ;)

P

PhilCohen

Audioholic
The dispute with customs is over a "small quantity" of CD players in these shipments.

M Code

M Code

Audioholic General
The dispute with customs is over a "small quantity" of CD players in these shipments.
Hmmm..
A frequent problem with importing CD players is that the laser must be certified by the FDA... The solution is quite easy, contact the CD transport maker and have them forward the paperwork verifying that the laser is FDA approved and registered..

Just my $0.02... ;)

P

PhilCohen

Audioholic
The bottom line is that it is too risky to buy from manufacturers that only sell direct to the consumers. Better to buy only major brands where the consumer can select from many dealers (both brick & mortar & online dealers) and only buy if the product is in stock. For me, it's a case of "Live and Learn". I decided to stick with the amplifier that i already own(Adcom GFA-7700, 175 watts into 8 ohms x 5 channels). For me, the 6th and 7th chnnels of a 7 channel amplifier would have been something to have only for possible future use. My present-day speaker system is 5.1. So is the next speaker system that I am considering purchasing. Of course, I can always add a 6th & 7th speaker.
Competing amplifiers in the same price range as Emotiva's "XPA-7 Gen.3" have a higher price and much less wattage that Emotiva's 200 watts per channel. The Integra would have been $300 more and offered only 140 Watts per channel. Marantz would have been $400 more and offered only 150 watts per channel. I may as well stick with my Adcom GFA-7700. As for Adcom, they recently decided(from now on) to offer only 2-channel amplifiers, so buying a newer Adcom is not an option. I may as well have my $2000 back, and the option of upgrading other equipment in my home entertainment system, perhaps my television.

ryanosaur

ryanosaur

Audioholic Overlord
The bottom line is that it is too risky to buy from manufacturers that only sell direct to the consumers. Better to buy only major brands where the consumer can select from many dealers (both brick & mortar & online dealers) and only buy if the product is in stock.
That's a bit extreme. I understand and empathize with being stung like that. But there are many amazing products being built to order by people whom truly are doing their impeccable best. I think any customer of Salk and Philharmonic will also take exception to that comment. What about Funk, Seaton, JTR?
You are of course entitled to your opinion and I definitely don't want to belittle your experience!
:)
And you will also miss out on some amazing and worthwhile gear!

BoredSysAdmin

BoredSysAdmin

Audioholic Slumlord
Not sure that the issue is. Just checked their page and it clearly says:
This product is assembled to order in the USA and will be on its way to you within 11-14 business days.
You just happen to be bad luck of having your amp delayed a bit. Btw 14 BIZ days is almost 3 weeks.

S

snakeeyes

Audioholic Ninja
  • Invoice paperwork undervalues the goods, attempting to decrease subject shipment value and import duties
We handle multiple incoming import shipments through US Customs, and very rarely had any held up...
U should should get clarification from Emotiva, if they hesitate to respond I would move on.

Just my $0.02... ;)
Or bugs living in the wood inside the container such as a pallet. :)

P

PhilCohen

Audioholic

You just happen to be bad luck of having your amp delayed a bit. Btw 14 BIZ days is almost 3 weeks.
But how do I know how long that it would take for Emotiva to resolve their parts supply crisis. Days? weeks? Months?

Good4it

Good4it

Audioholic Chief
But how do I know how long that it would take for Emotiva to resolve their parts supply crisis. Days? weeks? Months?
Best to ask questions before you send money. If they don’t answer or you don’t like the answers move on.

BTW I ordered and received a amp 3 months ago from them. Very happy.

Last edited:
P

PhilCohen

Audioholic
Best to ask questions before you send money. If they don’t answer or you don’t like the answers move on.
I agree. This has been a learning experience. Hopefully the refund will appear on my credit card bank's "system" before next month's bill is printed.

P

PhilCohen

Audioholic

Every customer's product is in limbo. Presumably every product that Emotiva manufactures is, to some extent, dependant on imported parts.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi

Just my $0.02... ;)
Manifest holds happen for other reasons.
They often don't even see paperwork.
IPR can be an issue
They have no idea on safety issues
Carrier has not as much to do with it as the importer

Your knowledge rating has gone down a bit in my mind. I am a former US Customs broker.

Last edited:
lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Or bugs living in the wood inside the container such as a pallet. :)
Yes that's a USDA issue, enforced by Customs. Can be documentation based, but can be checked/contradicted with inspection. Can be a pretty serious issue, can even require reexportation or destruction of goods.

KEW

KEW

Audioholic Overlord
Thanks for taking the time to post a warning!
I agree with you in that I believe it is a poor practice to charge the account immediately instead of upon shipment especially if shipment is routinely delayed from the time of order.
Most ID companies are very customer oriented and I would (apparently naively) assume charging upon shipment

I once had a company charge me immediately, then send a note of apology when it turned out they did not have the item in stock.
Keep us posted on how long it takes to reimburse your account!

I assume you know about the Monolith 7 made by ATI?
https://www.monoprice.com/product?p_id=14566
https://www.audioholics.com/amplifier-reviews/monoprice-monolith-7-channel-amplifier-review

KEW

KEW

Audioholic Overlord
Your knowledge rating has gone down quite a bit in my mind. I am a former US Customs broker.
That seems a little harsh!
Obviously you have a higher level of expertise (having been a Customs broker),but as long as M Code is supplying an honest account of his experience (which far outstrips mine and most people who are not involved in the import business) I appreciate the information he provided and further appreciate your correction/refinement of this information!

But is there something he said which is factually incorrect?
I am interested in a better understanding of this!

Just my $0.02... ;)

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
That seems a little harsh!
Obviously you have a higher level of expertise (having been a Customs broker),but as long as M Code is supplying an honest account of his experience (which far outstrips mine and most people who are not involved in the import business) I appreciate the information he provided and further appreciate your correction/refinement of this information!

But is there something he said which is factually incorrect?
I am interested in a better understanding of this!
Lol yeah a bit harsh I suppose. He knows some things no doubt, and I am out of the biz for a few years, too. The excuses some in the biz throw around for explanation to importers aren't always straight forward either.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
Yeah.......not to sound offensive to the OP and hopefully not to pour any salt into the "wounds", but I am curious in general why people would buy an Emotiva 200x7 amp for $2,000 when they could buy an ATI-made 200x7 amp for $1600?

Just curious.

Maybe I should be quiet. My big mouth gets me in trouble. :D

Last edited:

2channel lover

Audioholic Field Marshall
The bottom line is that it is too risky to buy from manufacturers that only sell direct to the consumers. Better to buy only major brands where the consumer can select from many dealers (both brick & mortar & online dealers) and only buy if the product is in stock. For me, it's a case of "Live and Learn". I decided to stick with the amplifier that i already own(Adcom GFA-7700, 175 watts into 8 ohms x 5 channels). For me, the 6th and 7th chnnels of a 7 channel amplifier would have been something to have only for possible future use. My present-day speaker system is 5.1. So is the next speaker system that I am considering purchasing. Of course, I can always add a 6th & 7th speaker.
Competing amplifiers in the same price range as Emotiva's "XPA-7 Gen.3" have a higher price and much less wattage that Emotiva's 200 watts per channel. The Integra would have been $300 more and offered only 140 Watts per channel. Marantz would have been $400 more and offered only 150 watts per channel. I may as well stick with my Adcom GFA-7700. As for Adcom, they recently decided(from now on) to offer only 2-channel amplifiers, so buying a newer Adcom is not an option. I may as well have my $2000 back, and the option of upgrading other equipment in my home entertainment system, perhaps my television.
Sorry to hear you had a tough time with your Emotiva order. I've ordered from Emotiva twice w/o any problems. In terms of charging your CC prior to shipping...w/o knowing all the details I can't really respond to that, but I have ordered from a speaker direct sell company that are build to order. As a seller you must secure some funds up front for that MO to work. If it's a short lead time, say 10-14 days, getting full payment up front is not bad business imo unless the buyer is expecting this item to ship immediately.

So the part of your post that I'm pushing back on is the blanket statement that it's to risky to buy from ...

My audio direct sell experience has been good.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis