Construction of MBL omnidirectional speakers

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Some videos I ran across today, have always been curious about them, both from the same channel labeled P1 and P2 but it's not really a part 1 and part 2....but are different a bit.

theJman

theJman

Audioholic Chief
Very cool! I've often marveled at how unique and unusual MBL's looked and wondered if they sounded anywhere near as good. That manufacturing environment looks cleaner than a hospital operating room. I did get a laugh though to see the midrange driver going into a toaster oven for curing. Is it the same one they heat their lunch in afterward?

Who has a better job than Brooks Moore? That dude has narrated hundreds and hundreds of How It's Made episodes. What a gig...

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
I did a little dive on these last night when Gmoney posted a pic in Eppie's thread. Very unusual and on paper look like they might sound pretty special. 360° radiation pattern for mids and highs and two 6 foot sub stacks for a dozen 12" drivers in all. No cabs at all on the mids and tweets. Pretty cool.

Eppie

Eppie

Audioholic Ninja
Thanks for the link @lovinthehd that was very interesting. Only chance to hear them would likely be at a big trade show, unless the boys at Audio Excellence get interested (only shop I know in Toronto to have the Wilson Audio Chronosonic XVX). Have to admire the originality in the engineering.

ryanosaur

ryanosaur

Audioholic Overlord
What?! Lovin’ and internet vids?!!
Hell must’ve frozen over. :p

Thanks for sharing! :)

Mikado463

Mikado463

Audioholic Spartan
Thanks Lovin, fond memories of listening to them years back @ RMAF

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
What?! Lovin’ and internet vids?!!
Hell must’ve frozen over. :p

Thanks for sharing! :)
Well I guess covid and improved apps has made me more youtube friendly :) Still a lot of crap out there, but there's quite a bit of well produced stuff, too (altho lots of goofy audio related ones still).

S

shadyJ

Speaker of the House
Staff member
This speaker is omni directional as well :D

You might be surprised. In theory, speakers and subs are supposedly omnidirectional in lower bass. In reality, few of them truly are. If you set a microphone a few meters away in a quasi-anechoic condition and change angle of the speaker/sub, the frequency response changes. If they were truly omnidirectional, the response wouldn't change at all.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis