Consistent metadata

M

Mabel

Audiophyte
@Ponzio: Thanks for reporting on the metadata Extraction Tool!
What you say about Windows and 'indexing' I find worrying and incomprensible, but we're veering off-topic now; I guess I'll have to start a new thread for that.

@BoredSysAdmin: Thanks a lot for the links provided; they are really helpful! It's kind of funny how the first link starts by stressing not metadata but the old-and-trusted way of putting files in folders and sub-folders - in fact: the way I used up till now, but with some valuable added advice on organisation. (It even mentioned the bulk-rename utitily I have been using for many years, but I think mp3tag does better.) I.m.o. the file-system is still needed as a 'falll-back' option but it would be a sorry state of affairs of we couldn't do better, nowadays.
I will certainly try out 'Picard' and the MusicBrainz database an report back.

@Bucknekked: "I don't think I had more than the normal amount of metadata envy until..." YES, it does conjure up vista's of how a music library could look like, doesn't it! Until recently, I was not even aware of the extensive options offered by, for instance, mp3 and aac, to add all kinds of extra stuff. Nevertheless, my primary concern here is with just those metadata which are exposed for SEARCHING by a dlna-client. If I understand the technology correctly, only a limited number of fields are added tot the database of the mediaserver and available for searching. Once a single file has been selected, it is up to the client to access the file and gather additional metadata. (Am I right?)

Ponzio

Ponzio

Audioholic Samurai
sorry to go off-subject on the indexing issue (Win 10).

BTW MusicBrainz is built-in the mp3tag editor app under the "Tag Sources" menu. I've used it a couple of times but found the Discogs choice the most comprehensive.

Bucknekked

Bucknekked

Audioholic Samurai
Of course it inevitably makes serious mistakes; completely mis-tagging some music. Spotting such errors, and in fact any unwanted replacements, is albeit imposible even with the rather modest library I so far added to the server. Correcting the database is possible, but downright clumsy.
Mabel
I think what you are describing here is the current state of the art when it comes to metadata, editors, and the ability to keep things from getting sideways. I personally, and I'm just one voice in the jungle, don't know of a tool that will go out and get metadata from a source, but will only place entries in to your selection where no entry exists, leaving the current data unchanged.

I am a genealogist. There is a function in the editors there that will gather data from a source and place it in a pane (or window) that sits side by side with a pane that contains your existing record. This lets you do a side by side, line by line examination of the data fields. It also lets you grab a field from the new source and drop it in selectively to your local record and only change that field. This sounds like what you may be looking for. Keep what you already have entered, but add to or change selective elements under your direct control.

For music metadata, I don't think we have that. If we do, I'd be interested. Here's a business opportunity!
Find a 5th grader, tell him/her what you want and have them code it up.

BoredSysAdmin

BoredSysAdmin

Audioholic Slumlord
Mabel
I think what you are describing here is the current state of the art when it comes to metadata, editors, and the ability to keep things from getting sideways. I personally, and I'm just one voice in the jungle, don't know of a tool that will go out and get metadata from a source, but will only place entries in to your selection where no entry exists, leaving the current data unchanged.

I am a genealogist. There is a function in the editors there that will gather data from a source and place it in a pane (or window) that sits side by side with a pane that contains your existing record. This lets you do a side by side, line by line examination of the data fields. It also lets you grab a field from the new source and drop it in selectively to your local record and only change that field. This sounds like what you may be looking for. Keep what you already have entered, but add to or change selective elements under your direct control.

For music metadata, I don't think we have that. If we do, I'd be interested. Here's a business opportunity!
Find a 5th grader, tell him/her what you want and have them code it up.
It's was another geologist who wrote Auto tune software. Don't think that dude is running around various places on earth with less than idea weather for work :)

Bucknekked

Bucknekked

Audioholic Samurai
It's was another geologist who wrote Auto tune software. Don't think that dude is running around various places on earth with less than idea weather for work :)
you made me laugh. I am an amateur "genealogist".
A "geologist" is a horse of a different color.
I love this forum. you never know when hilarity will break out:)

BoredSysAdmin

BoredSysAdmin

Audioholic Slumlord
you made me laugh. I am an amateur "genealogist".
A "geologist" is a horse of a different color.
I love this forum. you never know when hilarity will break out:)
haha, my famously terrible reading comprehension strikes again.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis