Considering PS3 for Blu-ray and Media Center

Halon451

Halon451

Audioholic Samurai
This would not bother ME. Its for those who actually use their TV speakers, for instance, late at night. Ya know, leaving HT off, unmuting TV. So, that HDMI audio is not being carried to TV, if you are using SPDIF to HT, for one instance, until you fiddle with menu. Again, to the best of my knowledge. I don't own one!!!!!
Ah. Well, I won't be using my TV speakers probably under any circumstances anyway. What you say makes much more sense now. :)

I'm confused now as well. Ummmmm, don't worry about bistream setting of lossy codecs unless you actually have 6.1/7.1. Non-issue I believe for 5.1 user. But, see, I am a 7.1 user, and I actually bought my bdp months in advance of the pre/pro upgrade to hdmi....
My plan is to eventually upgrade to a 7.1 system - right now, what I plan to do is output audio from the unit via bitstream to my receiver which can decode only standard DD and DTS formats. Video will be via HDMI straight to the TV, so switching sources will be a little more of a pain, but until I can upgrade the receiver this is what I'm stuck with.

I'll use the example of my cable box - currently connected in this fashion.

Eventually I will be getting a receiver capable of 7.1 and receiving multi-channel PCM over HDMI to a.) simplify the switching process again, b.) cut down on the wire mess behind the unit, and c.) give me the best audio and video resolutions possible. :)

Halon451

Halon451

Audioholic Samurai
No matter what Seth says, I find the fan to be quite loud and this is the only thing that bugs me.
The jury really seems to be split down the middle on this issue - I've done some searching around on the web as well, just Google searching "PS3 and Fan Noise", and many say it's bothersome while an equal number of people say they don't hear anything after it boots up or loads a disc. I guess the only way to determine if this will be an issue for me is to find out for myself. ;) :)

J

jostenmeat

Audioholic Spartan
Eventually I will be getting a receiver capable of 7.1 and receiving multi-channel PCM over HDMI to a.) simplify the switching process again, b.) cut down on the wire mess behind the unit, and c.) give me the best audio and video resolutions possible. :)
One of the points is relevant here if you will still watch DVDs, particularly those with 6.1 tracks.

To get something like 6.1 DTS-ES discrete from say LOTR extended editions, you will have to go into menu to enable bitstream. Then when you want lossless audio decoded for bluray, you have to go back into menu, and enable PCM.

As with the previous point, this would not bother me at all, even with a 7.1 system. Why? I haven't watched DVD since last year.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis