considering Crown XLS 1002 instead of Outlaw M2200

ryanosaur

ryanosaur

Audioholic Overlord
I would rather call it $650 for the amp, and $1,650 for the AV7705. That is a reasonably price to start going the so called separate route. Don't expect too much though, in reality the AV7705 is not going to sound much different than the SR6012, any difference will most likely be not discernible in any level matched blind tests. The Outlaw 5000 should be powerful enough for the BMRs that are not really designed to play above reference level, given that the sensitivity is so low, at 85 dB/2.83V/1M.
Oh... I’m not changing up. The only reason right now I would upgrade in the Marantz lineup is if my sr6012 still doesn’t work, and they offer me, somehow, credit towards upgrading rather than another 6012. That’s the only reason. I do like the sound and general performance of it... but I am kinda miffed at the company as a whole for it taking this long, as well as still having to find out for myself if it’s truly repaired.

6 months into my ownership of this!

I think I try Anthem, next time. Or maybe something else better comes along... only time will tell.

(Besides... where I was coming from in that previous comment is that there are no active sales on the 7705... so retail at 2199. Buy through Outlaw and get a solid 5-channel amp for 100 clams.) :cool:

P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord
Oh... I’m not changing up. The only reason right now I would upgrade in the Marantz lineup is if my sr6012 still doesn’t work, and they offer me, somehow, credit towards upgrading rather than another 6012. That’s the only reason. I do like the sound and general performance of it... but I am kinda miffed at the company as a whole for it taking this long, as well as still having to find out for myself if it’s truly repaired.

6 months into my ownership of this!

I think I try Anthem, next time. Or maybe something else better comes along... only time will tell.

(Besides... where I was coming from in that previous comment is that there are no active sales on the 7705... so retail at 2199. Buy through Outlaw and get a solid 5-channel amp for 100 clams.) :cool:
Go for it, otherwise get a x4400h for $900 or less if you are lucky, the 3xM2200 for a total of $1800. The x4400h has same audio specs as the av7705. Just no useless 7.1 analog, balanced output and imax enhanced.

S

snakeeyes

Audioholic Ninja
Lots of folks buy the Outlaw 5000 but does anyone keep them? The Outlaw M2200 is the good one. :)

KEW

KEW

Audioholic Overlord
Oh, Outlaw. I wanted to be a customer and you are making one of me!
Gilded cages can be very nice!
I wouldn't be too worried about it ... until their sales agents start referring to you as "my pet" whenever you call!
o_O

KEW

KEW

Audioholic Overlord
Lots of folks buy the Outlaw 5000 but does anyone keep them? The Outlaw M2200 is the good one. :)
I look as the 2200 being an serious amp for your mains (and center),and the 5000 as a supplemental amp if you want to supplement the load for your surrounds. As such, I would consider it an amp to keep.
However, one of the beauties of the 5000 is it can be used as a 170WPC 2-channel amp (that is how Emotiva rates their 5 channel amps these days) for your mains and the AVR take the rest; then, after you get more money, you can move the mains to a very nice 2 channel amp (or 2200's) then use the 5000 for the "left-overs" (surrounds/atmos). Flexibility (choosing how many channels to split the 5000 among) makes it a nice stepping stone when building a system if your budget requires you to phase in your system. Of course when 2200's are going for $300 a pop, it get's hard to justify any other home audio options.

ryanosaur

ryanosaur

Audioholic Overlord
Gilded cages can be very nice!
I wouldn't be too worried about it ... until their sales agents start referring to you as "my pet" whenever you call!
o_O
Just laughing!

I am not changing my receiver. Not unless there is continued chronic failure.

I am leaning towards the 2200s as my solution for something that isn't a problem. ;) I am intrigued by the Crowns to be certain. After learning a little bit more, however, they just don't feel right. That's just me listening to my gut.

Regarding Outlaw... I know some cat's that have been Outlaw fans for a while now... going back 10 years or so. They have always spoken very highly of their experience with Outlaws product (amps). Never really thought I'd be there, but so far I'm impressed by their CS, and am looking forward to testing out the subs (now that my AVR is back!).

everettT

everettT

Audioholic Spartan
Just laughing!

I am leaning towards the 2200s as my solution for something that isn't a problem. ;) I am intrigued by the Crowns to be certain. After learning a little bit more, however, they just don't feel right. That's just me listening to my gut.

Regarding Outlaw... I know some cat's that have been Outlaw fans for a while now... going back 10 years or so. They have always spoken very highly of their experience with Outlaws product (amps). Never really thought I'd be there, but so far I'm impressed by their CS, and am looking forward to testing out the subs (now that my AVR is back!).
Where is your equipment going? Rack, stand, etc?

ryanosaur

ryanosaur

Audioholic Overlord
Where is your equipment going? Rack, stand, etc?
My solutions are fluid.

I have considered building a Flexy. I looked at buying a pre-fab audio shelving unit on the market. If I were to buy the Crowns, I would probably buy some Studio Rack Ears and make my own 6U mount for them.

Short term, I'm converting an old metro rack into an audio shelf... using some spikes for the feet, and neoprene+MDF panels on top of the shelves to kill the vibration.

everettT

everettT

Audioholic Spartan
I'd also add that outlaws newest prepro is a heck of a bargain

everettT

everettT

Audioholic Spartan
My solutions are fluid.

I have considered building a Flexy. I looked at buying a pre-fab audio shelving unit on the market. If I were to buy the Crowns, I would probably buy some Studio Rack Ears and make my own 6U mount for them.

Short term, I'm converting an old metro rack into an audio shelf... using some spikes for the feet, and neoprene+MDF panels on top of the shelves to kill the vibration.
Depending on your room, I can suggest a few options. If your dropping coin on gear, I'd suggest rack and control options if needed.

ryanosaur

ryanosaur

Audioholic Overlord
Depending on your room, I can suggest a few options. If your dropping coin on gear, I'd suggest rack and control options if needed.
If I saw correctly, you're using Middle Atlantic rack, ya? Do you have all you gear in there?

KEW

KEW

Audioholic Overlord
Just laughing!

I like to think Outlaw made a name for themselves when they used to sell the Velodyne SMS-1.
Velodyne had designed what, at the time, was a good room correction system; however, the manual was a bear to understand.
Outlaw decided to have someone who understood the system entirely re-write the manual for the SMS-1 in a way that the layman could follow! Velodymes 50 page manual was converted into a 33 page Outlaw Guide which had the words "Don't Panic" emblazoned across the cover:

Not only that, but anyone who had a SMS-1 could download the Outlaw manual from Outlaw's website for free. I don't know if Outlaws sales of the SMS-1 increased substantially or not, but on forums, the first response to anyone asking questions was to download the Outlaw Guide!
I suspect that in the grand scheme of things, knowing Outlaw made this effort and allowed anyone to take advantage of it probably did a lot to make them a familiar name with a sense of competence and general good will in a time when ID companies were working hard to get exposure and seemed like a sketchy proposition to many customers.
If you are really bored, you can compare the Velodyne SMS-1 manual and Outlaw's guide using the links here:
https://www.outlawaudio.com/products/sms1.html

To this date, I think their manuals are generally a cut above the others.

Last edited:
everettT

everettT

Audioholic Spartan
If I saw correctly, you're using Middle Atlantic rack, ya? Do you have all you gear in there?
Every thing but the turntable. The rack I'm using will be in the wall once we have the floors finished on the upper level. I ask because theirs and others make wire management a piece of cake. Depending on your room I highly recommend their products. My preference is to hide gear as much as possible and their racks make that easy. If you ever have questions about racks or controls let me know.

ryanosaur

ryanosaur

Audioholic Overlord
You will be running a turntable? (I forget).
No... No Vinyl. Vinyl and Cigars are to F'n expensive. ;) I spend my extra money whiskey... and other Audio.

I would love to do vinyl, truthfully, but I've got a huge digital catalog, and I'm very interested in lossless and 5.1 audio now that I'm assembling this rig. My Dad has an old Dual turntable that I could probably collect if I wanted. Probably needs some work, but the pathway is there if I choose.

Oh, and if I did... I would find a better home than a rigged Metro rack!

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
No... No Vinyl. Vinyl and Cigars are to F'n expensive. ;) I spend my extra money whiskey... and other Audio.

I would love to do vinyl, truthfully, but I've got a huge digital catalog, and I'm very interested in lossless and 5.1 audio now that I'm assembling this rig. My Dad has an old Dual turntable that I could probably collect if I wanted. Probably needs some work, but the pathway is there if I choose.

Oh, and if I did... I would find a better home than a rigged Metro rack!
I was just curious about the spikes/vibration control stuff...

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis