Conservatives Trying to Ruin More American Jobs (aka Listen to Craig234 lecture)

Status
Not open for further replies.
b_panther_g

b_panther_g

Audioholic
The current administration (who says it supports conservative values) is quietly moving ahead with plans to build a NAFTA super highway that stretches from Mexico to Canada. It’s supposed to be football-fields-wide and cut through the middle of the USA. “But, why build it?” you ask…

The NAFTA super highway lets companies have goods come into Mexico’s ports. Now good conservatives and their supporters can bypass the Longshoreman’s Union (American workers) and avoid the Teamsters Union (more American workers). They can have cheaper Mexican labor do the work instead.

Hey everybody - 3 cheers for less higher paying jobs, more low paying jobs, and more conservative values.

Hip Hip Hooray!

Read about it here…
http://www.humaneventsonline.com/article.php?id=15497

Enjoy,
Panther

PS. Please forgive the comments about conservatives. I just did it because of a headline in another thread.

Tomorrow

Tomorrow

Audioholic Ninja
b_panther_g said:
The current administration (who says it supports conservative values) is quietly moving ahead with plans to build a NAFTA super highway that stretches from Mexico to Canada. It’s supposed to be football-fields-wide and cut through the middle of the USA. “But, why build it?” you ask…

The NAFTA super highway lets companies have goods come into Mexico’s ports. Now good conservatives and their supporters can bypass the Longshoreman’s Union (American workers) and avoid the Teamsters Union (more American workers). They can have cheaper Mexican labor do the work instead.

Hey everybody - 3 cheers for less higher paying jobs, more low paying jobs, and more conservative values.

Hip Hip Hooray

Read about it here…
http://www.humaneventsonline.com/article.php?id=15497

Enjoy,
Panther

PS. Please forgive the comments about conservatives. I just did it because of a headline in another thread.
Hey Panther. You still haven't told us in what country you live. Hmmm?

b_panther_g

b_panther_g

Audioholic
rjbudz said:
Hey Panther. You still haven't told us in what country you live. Hmmm?
Sorry. I didn't know anyone wanted to know.

I live in the USA. Born and raised. Right now I'm in NYC. What about you?

b_panther_g said:
Now good conservatives and their supporters can bypass the Longshoreman’s Union (American workers) and avoid the Teamsters Union (more American workers). They can have cheaper Mexican labor do the work instead.
Actually, in my opinion these unions are unnecessary, corrupt and generally destructive to American workers. Ultimately they put companies (like Bethlehem Steel) out of business. There are certainly other mitigating factors besides the unions, but these in particular are nothing but trouble and are unnecessary in today's economy and work environment.

I dont know that I agree with the "superhighway" having just heard of it yesterday, but I am very anti-union.

M

markw

Audioholic Overlord
An ex steelworker, eh?

Clint DeBoer said:
Actually, in my opinion these unions are unnecessary, corrupt and generally destructive to American workers. Ultimately they put companies (like Bethlehem Steel) out of business. There are certainly other mitigating factors besides the unions, but these in particular are nothing but trouble and are unnecessary in today's economy and work environment.

I dont know that I agree with the "superhighway" having just heard of it yesterday, but I am very anti-union.
I worked for Carpenter Technology in the late 70's and clearly 80's and saw first hand how the union killed that company although, I must say, management helped by forcing the union to sacrifice quality for numbers.

Tomorrow

Tomorrow

Audioholic Ninja
b_panther_g said:
Sorry. I didn't know anyone wanted to know.

I live in the USA. Born and raised. Right now I'm in NYC. What about you?
My bad....thinking of someone else. :eek:

Tsunamii

Tsunamii

Full Audioholic
Unions are a thing of the past. Great idea that served its time and that time passed when the Unions threw the workers under the bus. I have a family member that worked for Lucent for years they can tell you how much the Union helped out as they shifted most of their work force to Mexico. They did nothing but collect dues and expect you to strike when it suited them. And if you were on strike that means after a short period of time you lose your health bennifits because the union requires you to work so many days a month or no bennys, even if they are the ones keeping you from work.

b_panther_g

b_panther_g

Audioholic
Clint DeBoer said:

I dont know that I agree with teh "superhighway" haveing just heard of it yesterday, but I am very anti-union.

I agree that the unions mentioned above are corrupt (I'm not a fan of big unions either). They are simply too big, too powerful, and have a virtual monopoly over workers job descriptions and wages in their industry. That is too much control.

But, having said that, I don’t agree that unions are completely unnecessary in today’s economy. Here’s why…

The US government and major media outlets are too closely aligned with big multinational corporations. Lobbyists and special interest groups simply pay key members of Congress and the House of Reps to pass the laws they want. This allows the business people with the deepest pockets to…

1) Eliminate competition
2) Maximize profits for the top directors and the board of trustees
3) Massage the reporting of their deals to minimize any negative press

"The only difference between the Republican and Democratic parties is the velocities with which their knees hit the floor when corporations knock on their door." -- Ralph Nader

Why is this important? Because it creates an environment for poorer working conditions and lower wages. Currently our US government isn’t truly addressing this issue. And the news isn’t reporting on this issue.

Unions are necessary but, as with all things, their power needs to be limited. If a union (or some other organization) were limited to fighting for higher wages, safer working conditions (within reason), but not indiscriminately redefining job requirements it would help to balance things out. But regarding the super-highway…

I’d rather American workers keep their jobs (even with the bad unions) than the US government giving most of their jobs to a foreign country.

The problem with the unions can be solved – it may require some unpopular decisions but it can be solved. But once the jobs are gone - they don’t come back!

America as a whole loses.

Enjoy,
Panther

Buckeyefan 1

Buckeyefan 1

Audioholic Ninja
Within the last year or so, I've noticed more and more Latin commercials, billboards, and job listings than ever before. Sure, I need them to do roofing (can't find enough rednecks anymore to swing a hammer - no offense Sheep ;) ). And yeah, I have a redneck from estimating outdoors, but no way in hell will I swing a hammer on a 12/12 pitch roof in 90 degree heat. So in one aspect, I'm glad we have that workforce.

In the better neighborhoods, you won't find anyone else but Latinos doing landscaping. Heck, in Texas, they build brick and stucco houses. There are very few masons left in Texas. They can't make a living. Drywall? They've got that market cornered from the southeast coast to the southwest. It's only a matter of time when they migrate to small town USA and take over all the specialty blue collar jobs.

Columbus doens't need more Mexican restaurants. We've got more than Cancun!

Now, how much am I paying for that super highway?

M

Mort Corey

Senior Audioholic
b_panther_g said:
The US government and major media outlets are too closely aligned with big multinational corporations. Lobbyists and special interest groups simply pay key members of Congress and the House of Reps to pass the laws they want. This allows the business people with the deepest pockets to…

1) Eliminate competition
2) Maximize profits for the top directors and the board of trustees
3) Massage the reporting of their deals to minimize any negative press
Interesting thing is that the largest number of union members now work for government.....so your perception is spot on ;)

Mort

Rock&Roll Ninja

Rock&Roll Ninja

Audioholic Field Marshall
That trans-continental superhighway is gonna be awesome for bikers who want to join the Iron Butt Association.

JeffD2.

JeffD2.

Audioholic
Clint DeBoer said:

Unions are the reason why the taxes in NYS are among the highest in the country. You would not believe the amount of time off, benefits, retirement packages, etc, ALL FREE, while the average Joe has payroll deductions to cover his family.

Also we have the highest amount of gov't employees per capita. Last time I looked it was like one government employee for every seven or eight people in the state! If you're inept at your job, no prob, file a greivance. You won't be fired, you'll be tranferred to different department. I have friends who work for the state, it's standard procedure.

As for this "highway" I'll believe it when I see it.

JeffD2.

JeffD2.

Audioholic
Union's effect on your taxes....

Clint, you inspired me to a bit of research.....

1) NYS Taxes, Hooray, We're #1!
http://www.ppinys.org/reports/jtf2004/taxburdens.htm

2) Highest paying gov't jobs? Only 2nd place. New York's CSEA and PEF unions are slacking off.
http://www.ppinys.org/reports/jtf2004/stlocgovtpay.htm

3) Want to start a business? What's the last place in the country you'd want to locate?
http://www.ppinys.org/reports/jtf/businesstax.htm

4) And now finally, who is #1 in the country in percentage of unionized workers per state in the country? You guessed it!
http://www.ppinys.org/reports/jtf/unionrep.html

Connect the dots. We all pay union dues, not just union members.

C

Craig234

Audioholic
And the other side

Few people know much of the history of unions - the role they played in moving our society from the initial impverishment of the industrial revolution and the gilded age, with much poverty and misery, child labor, few educated, 14 hours days and 6 day work weeks in unsafe conditions, etc., to the golden age of the enrichment of the middle class, all because the workers obtained some balance in the power with the owners. Those were battles paid for in blood.

Isn't it funny that the 'golden age' of the American economy's great growth for the middle class happens to have been at times of peak unions and taxes? Hm.

But that doesn't fir the right-wing ideology.

Anyway, since NYS is #1 or #2 in all the big bad things above, let's use a little logic to see where the right-wing paradise is on the opposite side.

Who is at the other end of each of those charts? I will list the two or three at the other end, to avoid any 'anomolies' misrepresenting the result.

48 Mississippi 2,275 23 104
49 Tennessee 2,241 50 84
50 Alabama 2,170 48 88

49 ARKANSAS $30,237 153,382 57 25
50 MISSISSIPPI $28,563 186,130 65 7

1 Wyoming 7.47 26
2 South Dakota 7.38 27
3 Alaska 6.99

48 Georgia 6.0%
49 North Carolina 3.9%
50 South Carolina 3.3%

Woo hoo, who wants to live in poverty-filled, backwards New York State, when you can live in the right-wing shining lights of Alabama, Mississippi, Wyoming and South Carolina? Why, those states must have the greatest standard of living for the citizens, since they are 'right' on so many key economic and tax policies! The oveflowing government coffers from the low tax rates/high tax revenues! The culture! The educational system! The best-in-the-nation um, somethings.

I'll buy you a one-way ticket if you will relocate there. Just send me your address.

B

Buckeye_Nut

Audioholic Field Marshall
JeffD2. said:
Clint, you inspired me to a bit of research.....

1) NYS Taxes, Hooray, We're #1!
http://www.ppinys.org/reports/jtf2004/taxburdens.htm

2) Highest paying gov't jobs? Only 2nd place. New York's CSEA and PEF unions are slacking off.
http://www.ppinys.org/reports/jtf2004/stlocgovtpay.htm

3) Want to start a business? What's the last place in the country you'd want to locate?
http://www.ppinys.org/reports/jtf/businesstax.htm

4) And now finally, who is #1 in the country in percentage of unionized workers per state in the country? You guessed it!
http://www.ppinys.org/reports/jtf/unionrep.html

Connect the dots. We all pay union dues, not just union members.
One of the many benefits of living in a blue state:rolleyes:

Last edited:
Craig234 said:
Why, those states must have the greatest standard of living for the citizens, since they are 'right' on so many key economic and tax policies!
You are funny. Those are some of the most pleasant places to live in the US. Only a person who's never left the city would criticize places like Georgia, South Carolina, Tennessee, North Carolina, Alaska, etc... You're entitled to your opinion, but don't be so publicly ignorant - it's embarrassing.

warhummer

warhummer

Junior Audioholic
Craig234 said:
Few people know much of the history of unions... Those were battles paid for in blood.
Yes, good things did arise from those movements. However, like all good ideas turned sour, people in charge lose sight of why they are there and the union becomes a parasite, sucking its members of their hard earned wages.

Here's a novel idea: Good companies don't need unions. Get the MBA-toting retards with no "shop" experience out on the floor to really see how a company is run. Drop the management-worker curtain and promote from within the company to the maximum extent possible. Look at Grumman (before the 70's). More recently, Frank Lanza did an absolutely amazing job with L-3 communications. Here was an engineer who built one of the aerospace industry's largest and most successful companies almost from scratch in less than a decade. Good leaders promote good communication within the company, diminishing the "us-versus-the suits" mentality.

Craig234 said:
Woo hoo, who wants to live in poverty-filled, backwards New York State, when you can live in the right-wing shining lights of Alabama, Mississippi, Wyoming and South Carolina? Why, those states must have the greatest standard of living for the citizens, since they are 'right' on so many key economic and tax policies! The oveflowing government coffers from the low tax rates/high tax revenues! The culture! The educational system! The best-in-the-nation um, somethings.
NEWSFLASH! In case you haven't been paying attention, there's been a huge shift of industry to the South. BMW, Northrop Grumman, Boeing, Honda, etc. Could it be a more favorable business climate (i.e. don't get raped by the state tax-man).

Let's look at another stat...annual salaries of government employees. Their salaries are based on cost of living. You can get by easier on $33,000 a year in South Carolina versus $52,000 in California. So that leads to another question, why is the cost of living so high? Maybe it's because these states are just more "enlightened".

Show me one sane retiree who wants to stay in the NYC-metro area without having their retirement savings sucked away by the state.

warhummer

warhummer

Junior Audioholic
Clint DeBoer said:
You are funny. Those are some of the most pleasant places to live in the US. Only a person who's never left the city would criticize places like Georgia, South Carolina, Tennessee, North Carolina, Alaska, etc... You're entitled to your opinion, but don't be so publicly ignorant - it's embarrassing.
You beat me to the punch...:)

Tsunamii

Tsunamii

Full Audioholic
Clint DeBoer said:
LMAO, now that is a good laugh to start the morning with :) Thanks Clint..

Status
Not open for further replies.
newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis