Connection questions for a Home Theater Newbie

Cain Highwind

Cain Highwind

Enthusiast
BMXTRIX said:
http://www.audioholics.com/techtips/setup/loudspeakers/hometheaterspeakerlayout.php

6.1 is just like 5.1 or 7.1 except you put the rear center speaker directly behind you like a 7.1 speaker, except not to the side.

Sound isn't a huge jump overall with 6.1 vs. 5.1.

BUT: That is not really the important thing.

The speakers on the Onkyo are much larger than the Yamaha - much more significant and will result in a much better range. The Onkyo also has a much better A/V receiver at the core which gives you better power and more inputs & outputs to utilize.

Read the specs at Onkyo:
http://www.us.onkyo.com/model.cfm?m=HT-S770&p=f&class=Systems

I don't call something a great deal without meaning it. It isn't the 'best' product in the world, but I think at that price point, it is by far the best product for the money.

On the link I gave - right about $200.00 shipped which is a total steal for that much of a system.

Actually on the Ecost link it says you *SAVE* $165 from the 490 (making it 360).;)

It's okay though, I found it here, which will make it about 350 Shipped:
http://www.jr.com/JRProductPage.process?Product_Id=4007837&JRSource=dealtime.cii_13736960.08-2355941-2.ONK HTS770B-RB

I'll just have to hold off for a couple weeks for a couple paychecks.

Yes and I do appreciate the "Expert" advice. Is the reason why I posted here. Thanks again!

mulester7

mulester7

Audioholic Samurai
Cain Highwind said:
.....Cain, this is refurbished....I would talk to someone at J&R and make every effort to receive one that has been fixed for sure....I would also ask if the shipment came from Onkyo direct which would imply the fixing of that which was deficient....Onkyo is a pretty good name, you're probably ok, but I would still have someone at J&R say the system has been fixed....best of luck, and lappy histening......

Buckle-meister

Audioholic Field Marshall
I'm starting to get the impression you're leaning towards a certain Onkyo...:rolleyes:

Not to worry. All that matters at the end of the day is that you get the best you can afford. :) Just to answer your question regarding the Yamaha in the event that you go back to it, no, I don't think:

Cain Highwind said:
For the satellite and the VCR, couldn't I just use composite cables from the Audio Out on the TV to one of the Audio Ins on the Reciever?
...this will work, though only because from what I can see, the t.v. only accepts one set of audio connections, and you'd be looking for two.

Best of luck with whatever you decide to get. I'm sure you'll be happy. :)

Regards

Cain Highwind

Cain Highwind

Enthusiast
mulester7 said:
.....Cain, this is refurbished....I would talk to someone at J&R and make every effort to receive one that has been fixed for sure....I would also ask if the shipment came from Onkyo direct which would imply the fixing of that which was deficient....Onkyo is a pretty good name, you're probably ok, but I would still have someone at J&R say the system has been fixed....best of luck, and lappy histening......
Yeah I agree, I'll probably just get an extended warranty just to be safe.

mulester7

mulester7

Audioholic Samurai
Cain Highwind said:
Yeah I agree, I'll probably just get an extended warranty just to be safe.
.....probably a stellar move for your application.....best of luck, seriously.....

BMXTRIX

BMXTRIX

Audioholic Warlord
I think I've had about half a dozen people buy the refurbs and to this point I haven't heard anyone say anything about a problem with them. A lot of refurbs are just returns that have been reboxed after being bench checked. Like my 'refurb' Dell, which saved me $800.00 - but has given me nothing but excellent performance.

I believe that you will get great use out of it. IMO - of course.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis