confederate symbols

SithZedi

SithZedi

Audioholic General
That story was mostly true, but it was in the winter of 1967, a long time ago. (I may have embellished just a bit.) I was young, barely 18 years old, and I hadn't yet learned that most Southerners thought it was bad form to argue so vigorously about anything, much less something as inflammatory as the Civil War. They also thought that 'Lead Mine Boy' was rude and boring.

I later learned that most of those who called me a Yankee were actually pulling my leg – as Yankee baiting was considered great sport. They were also making fun of Rednecks who actually took that 'South Shall Rise Again' crap seriously. The only proper answer to Yankee baiting was to answer them with an exaggerated Southern drawl (use your imagination as I attempt to write in Southeren), saying "I've been meanin' to faht choo (fight you)! Let's you and me get some 6-packs of Bud and go faht in the parking lot! That always got them to laugh and drop the Yankee baiting.

In 1972-73, I was in the Navy, stationed in Southern Italy. Among the Italian friends I had, I was the only American. As such, I had to defend America's racism as well as the war in Vietnam. It was difficult because I didn't want to offend them, and I couldn't easily explain my being in the Navy while also being opposed to that war, much less explain racism. I had to resort to the idea that the USA (at that time) was the only modern western nation that actually had significant numbers of people of different races. It was no wonder that the USA had problems with that. At the time, Italy and most of Europe was uniformly white. African immigrants were not welcomed. Asian immigrants were unheard of. Amazingly, that worked. When I later got orders to return to the USA, every one of my Italian friends admitted, privately, that they would give their right arms to go with me.

Were you ever in Russia or Eastern Europe after the fall of Communism? In the West, we often have great trouble understanding Russian ways of thinking, especially about things like success or failure. We often are baffled by their stubborn refusal to cooperate with others, even if cooperating was for their own benefit.

There is a famous Russian proverb about this mentality. (I’m paraphrasing it from a book I read, Red Notice by Bill Browder.)
The world is a small place. I spent some time in the late 70s in Gaeta (former Duchy of Gaeta as they fondly recall). Yes I did some business in Eastern Europe before and after the wall came down. Got to spend time in East Berlin too, although West Berlin was much more fun. That was a unique city to get in all kinds of trouble in!

Got to Russia and Ukraine only once but did lots of business with some nationals there via London. Those guys could party. Lots of drinking, gambling and revelry in London clubs in the 90s. Your comments on their ways of thinking are spot on. If you expressed any satisfaction with a deal you were negotiating with them they suspected they were getting screwed and would pull back. Could not understand what a Win/Win was with both sides benefiting. That thinking was a difficult barrier to overcome at times. I had to "coach" them by explaining and demonstrating the "Anglo" concept of good sportsmanship and fair play in competition. The overhang of a countries history and culture are tough things to overcome.

highfigh

highfigh

Seriously, I have no life.
The world is a small place. I spent some time in the late 70s in Gaeta (former Duchy of Gaeta as they fondly recall). Yes I did some business in Eastern Europe before and after the wall came down. Got to spend time in East Berlin too, although West Berlin was much more fun. That was a unique city to get in all kinds of trouble in!

Got to Russia and Ukraine only once but did lots of business with some nationals there via London. Those guys could party. Lots of drinking, gambling and revelry in London clubs in the 90s. Your comments on their ways of thinking are spot on. If you expressed any satisfaction with a deal you were negotiating with them they suspected they were getting screwed and would pull back. Could not understand what a Win/Win was with both sides benefiting. That thinking was a difficult barrier to overcome at times. I had to "coach" them by explaining and demonstrating the "Anglo" concept of good sportsmanship and fair play in competition. The overhang of a countries history and culture are tough things to overcome.
You must have seen videos of Soviet government officials who looked like they were gooned- they were. Drank constantly, according to those I have met who came to the US from USSR/Russia/Ukraine..

highfigh

highfigh

Well, when the TV gets it's "news" from shoddy internet "articles" so they can be first without any fact checking, yes.

Denzel Washington put it pretty well.

He's only repeating it, but it does need to be hammered home- people need to be more careful about what they believe.

highfigh

highfigh

It worked. I could see his jaw tighten and veins begin to throb in his temple. He stomped out, declaring that he would never converse with a damned Yank again. Apparently, I had offended his honor :rolleyes:.
Nah, you just offended his delicate sensibilities. He must have 'had the vapors'.

I went to Indiana for technical training when I started working for a boat dealer and one guy had a Chevy dually pickup with two crossed American flags on the doors. He told us about a trip to Tennessee to visit his sister and one evening, they went to a local place for dinner and drinks. He went to the bar to buy a round and a local came up to say "I don't much like whatcha got on your truck, but we'll let ya slide because your'e with her".

They just can't let it go.

SithZedi

SithZedi

Audioholic General
You must have seen videos of Soviet government officials who looked like they were gooned- they were. Drank constantly, according to those I have met who came to the US from USSR/Russia/Ukraine..
Hell yes. All those ex officials became businessmen in a blink, large eyebrows and all! If you have ever seen the Bond film, GoldenEye, and it's "interpretation" of working in Russia on the early 90s and the nightclubs, it's hilariously close. I'm a bourbon guy and there is only so much vodka I could take. The vodka was smooth, went down like water which made it especially dangerous.

SithZedi

SithZedi

Audioholic General
That story was mostly true, but it was in the winter of 1967, a long time ago. (I may have embellished just a bit.) I was young, barely 18 years old, and I hadn't yet learned that most Southerners thought it was bad form to argue so vigorously about anything, much less something as inflammatory as the Civil War. They also thought that 'Lead Mine Boy' was rude and boring.

I later learned that most of those who called me a Yankee were actually pulling my leg – as Yankee baiting was considered great sport. They were also making fun of Rednecks who actually took that 'South Shall Rise Again' crap seriously. The only proper answer to Yankee baiting was to answer them with an exaggerated Southern drawl (use your imagination as I attempt to write in Southeren), saying "I've been meanin' to faht choo (fight you)! Let's you and me get some 6-packs of Bud and go faht in the parking lot! That always got them to laugh and drop the Yankee baiting.

In 1972-73, I was in the Navy, stationed in Southern Italy. Among the Italian friends I had, I was the only American. As such, I had to defend America's racism as well as the war in Vietnam. It was difficult because I didn't want to offend them, and I couldn't easily explain my being in the Navy while also being opposed to that war, much less explain racism. I had to resort to the idea that the USA (at that time) was the only modern western nation that actually had significant numbers of people of different races. It was no wonder that the USA had problems with that. At the time, Italy and most of Europe was uniformly white. African immigrants were not welcomed. Asian immigrants were unheard of. Amazingly, that worked. When I later got orders to return to the USA, every one of my Italian friends admitted, privately, that they would give their right arms to go with me.

Were you ever in Russia or Eastern Europe after the fall of Communism? In the West, we often have great trouble understanding Russian ways of thinking, especially about things like success or failure. We often are baffled by their stubborn refusal to cooperate with others, even if cooperating was for their own benefit.

There is a famous Russian proverb about this mentality. (I’m paraphrasing it from a book I read, Red Notice by Bill Browder.)
Apologies, forgot to thank you for your service in the Navy. I come from a multigenerational miltary family and would have my head cracked for that even at my age!

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Well, when the TV gets it's "news" from shoddy internet "articles" so they can be first without any fact checking, yes.

Denzel Washington put it pretty well.

Yeah but its been that way a long time. The problem comes in certain folk assigning some sort of honesty to the likes of Fox News (of course the original fake news as Jon Stewart brought to us). I like Denzel's attitude but reading about celebrity gossip ain't always that interesting anyways.....even when they're also a politician.

panteragstk

panteragstk

Audioholic Warlord
Yeah but its been that way a long time. The problem comes in certain folk assigning some sort of honesty to the likes of Fox News (of course the original fake news as Jon Stewart brought to us). I like Denzel's attitude but reading about celebrity gossip ain't always that interesting anyways.....even when they're also a politician.
That's the exact problem. Lack of honesty and caring about reporting the truth. Until that comes back, there is no need to watch the "news" to be informed. Sounds like it might be exactly what they want.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
That's the exact problem. Lack of honesty and caring about reporting the truth. Until that comes back, there is no need to watch the "news" to be informed. Sounds like it might be exactly what they want.
I think there's still truth being reported, but you might have to filter it a bit depending on the mouthpieces involved (especially "tv news")....we've never actually had the greatest "news"....it's too often more entertainment/sales based.

Last edited:
MaxInValrico

MaxInValrico

Senior Audioholic
Jon Stewart didn't purport to report news, only commentary on news.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Well in a sense he had to report the news to provide commentary on it. Better job than those folk at Faux News did....(and what I was referring to was Stewart coined the term fake news to help describe places like Faux News....at least that's what my memory says).

ps Seems fake news as a term goes way back....I think it Stewart was the one who brought it to my attention.

Last edited:
panteragstk

panteragstk

Audioholic Warlord
True, but if you hadn't heard the story yet, it was news. That's how I always looked at it.

I really want true news again. You watch, they tell you facts about things and then move on to other stories with more facts. We can watch other shows if we wanted to know what people thought of the facts, but news should just be news.

Mikado463

Mikado463

Audioholic Spartan
I read in the WSJ this AM that the 'woke' nut jobs in Chicago intend to rename the Daniel Boone School. Just another city going down the cesspool ........

here's a clip from other than the WSJ for those that aren't subscribers ......

MaxInValrico

MaxInValrico

Senior Audioholic
I read in the WSJ this AM that the 'woke' nut jobs in Chicago intend to rename the Daniel Boone School. Just another city going down the cesspool ........

here's a clip from other than the WSJ for those that aren't subscribers ......

Who cares what they name or rename a school?

P

Push

Audioholic
I still don't understand why people care so much about things that matter so little. And so many little things too.
I can't speak for others, but I look at these little things that cost taxpayer money, and my blood boils, even if its only a few bucks. Such idiocy, such waste for no gain. My accountant finished my taxes this year; as a service she tallies up all taxes paid throughout the year, and gives you a report. When you count carbon tax, sales taxes, income tax, E&H tax, municipal tax, ad nauseum, ad infinitum, I paid 57% of my gross salary out to tax in one form or another. And a healthy portion goes to morons who have nothing better to do than come up with more stupidity.

panteragstk

panteragstk

Audioholic Warlord
a healthy portion goes to morons who have nothing better to do than come up with more stupidity.
Can't disagree with you on that. Gotta get a better crop of people to run for things, but that's a tall order.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis