Component Video Cables

D

David Cleghorn

Audiophyte
<font color='#000000'>For a home theater application using a progressive scan DVD player and an HDTV ready monitor with component video inputs, what is the appropriate component video cable (3 ft length)? I notice a wide range in prices, but will the lower price cables work just as well?

These guys show 3 ft cables for as low as 6.95

http://www.lastar.net/product_list.asp?cat%5Fid=5902

but also others for 19.95

http://www.lastar.net/product_list.asp?cat%5Fid=5904

Retailers like Radio Shack, Best Buy, Circuit City typically have the 6 footers for 30 to 40 bucks. Why so high and who has the best deal?</font>

Rob Babcock

Rob Babcock

<font color='#000000'>For the most part the prices are high because the hucksters and snake oil salesmen have learned they can appeal to the vanity, ego and foolishness of those with more money than common sense to sell their super magical cables for several thousand percent markup.

In my HT setup I needed a 25 foot set of component vid cables; the prices of that long a cable usually will give you a heart attack, but I bought them at PacificCable.com; I paid only $35 with shipping!  The cables themselves are well made, true 75 ohm cables- the picture is as good as any other cables I've used.

They also sell pretty nice CAT6 cables for rediculously low prices- try $25 for a hundred foot CAT6!  And really well made.

BTW, they're good guys to deal with, too. Fast, friendly and courteous.</font>

G

<font color='#000000'>do they have any wallplates to separate component video/audio?

i would like to run a long component video/audio cord to another room from where the receiver actually is and was wondering how i go through the wall.

thanks</font>

G

<font color='#000000'>My common rule of thumb is -
If you can, stay away from any extra couplers or connectors. You could nick-pick that each joint/connection increases resistance.

Unless someone out there knows of a good source for a quailty wall plate ( I have yet to find them ).

Rob</font>

P

petermwilson

Audioholic
<font color='#000000'>Hi,
I do feel that there is a difference in cable quality. &nbsp;there is also a point of diminishing returns.

My first rule of thumb for any type of cable/wire is the shorter the distance between component A and B the better.

I use a video scaler with an SDI modified Panasonic RP82. &nbsp;The SDI portion keeps the signal digital all the way through, so there is no A/D, D/A conversion. &nbsp;All this cable is, is a good quality 75ohm video cable with BNC connections at both ends.

SDI connections are used by the broadcast industry when the have long runs and want to prevent signal degradation.

If you can find a local electronics shop that sells both audio and video wire/cable by the foot. &nbsp;He will attach whatever connections you need generally and will be much ceaper that those Blister pack ones that could be from the same manufacture.
So if you need a 9' component set, why pay for 12' plus the packaging. &nbsp;You should also find connectors in bulk at an 80% discount to the Blister pack versions.

Anyone in the Toronto area can E-Mail me for suh a place.

Peter m.</font>

J

jjadams

Enthusiast
If you only want to spend $6.95 then you won't want what I have hooked up to 6 DVD changers, 'Reference' 1 meter for 6 incoming and 2 meter to the 1 Y-Pb-Pr component jack on my HDTV. Curious www.bettercables.com and converted computer switcher IN3506, when on look at the bandwith available for this made in USA product, I used Belkin BNC to phono jack for incoming component cabels www.inlineinc.com/products/matrix/3506.htm and the 2 meter to go from last one to back of HDTV. Want a guess/estimate do the math and be your own proof. :)

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis