Component Video cable

J

Jwheel

Audioholic
This is going to be a really amature question, but I need some help. I have my DVD player hooked up to my reciever (RX V-2500) using a component video cable and the reciever to the TV with a component video cable as well. The picture looks terrible, it is incredibly grainy and too much blue. I have checked it multiple times to make sure that I have it hooked up correctly and everything. If I just use the yellow video cable portion of the RCA jack, the picture looks fine. Any reason why my picture looks terrible with the component video cable? I have used the GUI with the reciever to make sure that all of the I/O assignments are correct. Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Jeff

Nomo

Nomo

Audioholic Samurai
Not really enough info on the TV and DVD player for more than a guess:
Your TV may be looking for a progressive video input while the player is giving it a interlaced one.
Go into the player's set-up menu and check if you can switch it's output.
It may also be a switch on the back of the player as it is on mine.

J

Jwheel

Audioholic
I think I have a bad component video input on my TV. I bypassed the reciever and hooked up the DVD player to the TV and had the same problem. I tried two DVD players with two different component video calbes and had the same problem. Oh well, looks like it is time to upgrade to that big screen I have always wanted.

JohnA

JohnA

Audioholic Chief
Make sure

that the DVD player and the TV are both set to the same resolution

mtrycrafts

mtrycrafts

Seriously, I have no life.
Jwheel said:
This is going to be a really amature question, but I need some help. I have my DVD player hooked up to my reciever (RX V-2500) using a component video cable and the reciever to the TV with a component video cable as well. The picture looks terrible, it is incredibly grainy and too much blue. I have checked it multiple times to make sure that I have it hooked up correctly and everything. If I just use the yellow video cable portion of the RCA jack, the picture looks fine. Any reason why my picture looks terrible with the component video cable? I have used the GUI with the reciever to make sure that all of the I/O assignments are correct. Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Jeff
You are indicating 'a' component cable. How many are you using, really. YOu need 3 cables for component video.

F

flyv65

Full Audioholic
Something else to think about-

Make sure you've properly selected the output from your DVD player: some older or less expensive models will come set up for S-video and the component outs must be activated. I've seen this on an older JVC player, right down to the blue color in the picture.

Bryan...HTH...

M

markw

Audioholic Overlord
Very, very good point.

mtrycrafts said:
You are indicating 'a' component cable. How many are you using, really. YOu need 3 cables for component video.
After carefully reading the posts describing the problem, I think this warrants serious consideration.

"A" (single) cable will work fine for composite video (yellow jack) but you need three individual cables for component cables, one each for red, green and blue. If you use only one cable for component, only one color will be passed and, as you can see, it will look like hell.

Totally different creatures, composite and component video.

J

Jwheel

Audioholic
Thanks for all the good ideas. Just to let you know, I am using all of the three colors (red, green, blue) in the hook up. I can't find a switch on the DVD player itself to switch to component video, nor can I find anything in the setup menu. The DVD player is a JVC XV-S40. I'm about ready to buy a new player.

F

flyv65

Full Audioholic
If it's a JVC, you'll find the selector in the onscreen menu-which means you've got to hookup the DVD player to the tv first using either the composite or the S-video cable so you can actually "see" the menu screen, then toggle around untill you find the video output screen, and *then* pick the component output. After that, you can use the component outputs, I promise.

Bryan...been down this road before...

J

Jwheel

Audioholic
I'll do that and let you know how it turns out. I have another question (hopefully an easy one). Last night I put in Gladiator DTS ES version. When I selected the DTS ES track from the audio section of the menu screen and play, I have no sound. When I select the DD 5.1 track, there is sound. Is there a good explanation for this? I don't know if it matters, but I have the audio of my DVD player hooked up to my reciever using a digital optical cable. As you can obviously tell, I'm new at all this.

H

hopjohn

Full Audioholic
I answered the DTS question for you in the orginal post on the topic. Look there.

J

Jwheel

Audioholic
Okay, while I went home on my break and thanks to hopjohn's comment on how to get my DVD player to play in DTS mode I found a setting that is the only thing that even makes me think controlls the video outputs. Under the system setting in my menu, there is an option titles "AV Compulink" and the setting is adjustable from DVD1, DVD2, and DVD3. It is currently set to DVD1. I'm wondering if DVD2 is s-video or something and DVD3 is component video. I didn't have time to try it out but plan to tonight. I hope that is what does the trick to allow me to use the component video cables. I'm crossing my fingers for sure.

M

MDS

Audioholic Spartan
'Compu-Link' is JVC's system control scheme that allows you to integrate all JVC components. It's similar to Sony's S-Link and Onkyo's Remote Interactive. It has nothing to do with component video.

J

Jwheel

Audioholic
If that is the case, then I am at a total loss. I have no idea to get the thing to output via component video. There is honestly nothing in the players menu that talks about video output whatsoever. What to do now?

Nomo

Nomo

Audioholic Samurai
While the power of your player is on with no disc inserted. Press and hold the stop button. After a few seconds S-video will display. Continue pressing until component shows up. Release. If this actually works this will enable component output.
Give it a try. What's to lose?

F

flyv65

Full Audioholic
Hmmmm, I've heard of a component/composite switch on the back of some of the DVD players, and I've heard of activating the "progressive scan" mode of the player, but I'm at a loss right now. You said in one of the first posts that if you use the yellow composite line it works correctly; you meant in the composite port, right? Maybe it *is* something in the TV setup...but it sure sounds like what happened to me when I had my old JVC player hooked up to a (at the time) new HDTV. And anonymous is spot on: Compu-link was the hardwire connection between JVC components so they would all operate off the same remote (typically the Reccy).

Bryan...do you have model numbers for your player or TV?...

J

Jwheel

Audioholic
I'll give it a try this evening and let you know. I'm absolutely open to ideas. Thanks!! I'll let you know later this evening.

J

Jwheel

Audioholic
Yes, when I have the yellow composite cable in the composite port, it works just fine. I'm going to try and see if the "stop" button on the remote changes it as suggested. I have checked the TV setup menu and the input is set to composite but still the same problem. I can see the picture but there are blue lines across the entire screen.

J

Jwheel

Audioholic
I meant to say that the television input is set to component not composite.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis