Common Mistakes When Setting Up a Home Theater System

AbbyDaddy

AbbyDaddy

Audioholic Intern
Call me an idiot, but I am just getting into home audio/video, but what is the reasoning behind not getting rid of the black lines? There are no black lines in a movie theater. Be gentle, as again, I am a newb.

AJM

AJM

Audioholic Intern
Call me an idiot, but I am just getting into home audio/video, but what is the reasoning behind not getting rid of the black lines? There are no black lines in a movie theater. Be gentle, as again, I am a newb.
Haven't you heard? "Black lines matter."

Sorry. Couldn't resist.

S

shadyJ

Speaker of the House
Staff member
The black bars are there to fit the entire movie picture in your display. Many movies are filmed and projected in commercial theaters a bit wider than standard home videos displays. In order to show the whole picture, your display has to 'zoom out' to encompass the entire picture, and the black bars fill in the top and bottom of your home video picture. In the older days of VHS and early DVDs, they would just slice off a large chunk of the left or right side of the picture, and you miss a good 75% of the film due to this.

P

Prasanna Opatha

Audiophyte
hi

I have fixed Yamaha Rx-A840 to Samsung UA55JU7000k( From HDMI ) and worked well first two days now the signals not coming from the AV receiver .there is massage says change the resolution in your device . please advice on this .

B

BKS

Audiophyte
You guys are a real piece of work.

I come to your site to get honest advice about my system because I am not a home theater expert. I happen to be an expert in an entirely different field in which I have built myself a very successful business and comfortable income. Much of which is available for purchasing audio and theater gear. However, not one cent will be spent on your site.

Do you honestly believe it's productive or good business practice to post a video making fun of and ridiculing people like me who might have otherwise been a customer, about all the dumb things inexperienced people do when setting up their gear? Are you so totally full of yourself that you find it necessary to demean other people in order to boost your own ego? Does it make you feel big and smart by running down people who don't happen to have experience in home theater design? Pathetic.

As a business person who helps people on a daily basis, I find your self centered, egotistical, narcissistic, condecension absolutely revolting and at the vey least self destructive and puzzling.

You must be raking in so much money that it doesn't bother you that professional people such as myself would never ever do business with you 2 boneheads.

Unfortunately, you'll probably make some off color remark about my post and you'll never stop to think about what I'm telling you. Your huge self indulgent egos will never let you realize that from a business perspective , what I am telling you is exactly right.

I admit that I'm not a home theater expert, but I will be going somewhere else where they don't run down, laugh at, an ridicule their own potential customers..

BTW, I rarely post on websites, but you two geniuses were so over the top and insulting to me I simply could not resist expressing my total disdain for both of you, and your disgusting unprofessional behavior..

The road to ruin is paved with a million good ideas that failed for one reason or another. Your imminent failure is clearly visible from a million miles away. Everyone can see it but you!

KenM10759

KenM10759

Audioholic Samurai
I don't know how BKS gets that. There's a generous amount of "tongue in cheek" here, but I never felt any of the admins to be anything but truthful and helpful. Usually with a great deal of patience too, given how much valid information is available here with just a wee bit of searching.

D

dirtylarry

Audiophyte
I agree 100% Instead of claiming how stupid people are and being cocky about it why not explain stuff in a more professional non egotistical way? Knowledge is power...Ignorance is bliss..

S

Strum und Drang

Enthusiast
I just set up a 5.1 home theater in my living room on August 9th, last month. I'm happy with the results and have done some experimenting to work things out better. I'll be upgrading my sub (current sub will go into my bedroom/office as part of a 2.1 system) and getting a new TV early next year. The biggest surprise for me has been how easy the Yamaha RX-A2060 has been to setup and then to operate. I'm still learning, but the results so far have been very good.

The advice for upgrading found at this website was very useful and helpful. I waited for model year-end AVR close-out sales. I bought my new receiver in early August thru Amazon for almost half price. My speakers are Polk Audio RTI A5 small towers, RTI A1 surrounds and CSI A6 center. My living room is about 200 sq feet. The Yamaha has plenty of power for 5 channel and the towers like the 140 watts RMS for two channel. The audio quality for 2 channel is very good. The only difference I found between the 2016 and 2017 models was Yamaha updated its Cinema 3D to Enhanced Cinema DSP HD3. The 2016 model does a very good job with Dolby and DTS.

On some of my older DVDs that have only Dolby 2.0 sound, the receiver is able to do a credible job of creating 5.0 surround sound (I have the first season of 24 in Dolby 2.0). I have the Lord of the Rings in both DVD and Blu-Ray (DVD is Dolby 5.1, Blu Ray DTS HD) and it handles both the older and the newer surround sound sound tracks just fine. The older version Cinema 3D is pretty good, though I have not heard the newer enhanced version. I have Xfinity Cable TV and many programs are broadcast either in Dolby 2.0 or 5.1 and I've been very pleased with the results. 5.1 surround sound for movies is much better than 2.1 stereo.

This is a good article because it helps one to avoid some pitfalls and do things right. I was interested in some other receivers because of their price, but by waiting for a close out, I got my new receiver for 1/4 less than a new RX-A1060. The 2060 was actually what I wanted all along, but considered other options because of price. By shopping for deals, I got my speakers and receiver for about 55% of the cost of full retail at Amazon.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis