Come On, All You "Unfortunate Souls" That Must "Suffer" with a 50" or Less TV...

bandphan

bandphan

Banned
Neither of my displays are large enough and they have the best PQ around. Displays both FP and Plasma are very cheap all things considered. A fixed screen and a very good projector will run you about 3-4k, that's cheap for 120+ viewing. You can half that and still get a good setup if your willing to do a little work.

P

PearlcorderS701

Banned
That may be "cheap" for that kind of viewing, but many of us simply don't have the 2 to 3 grand necessary for that kind of indulgence.

gmichael

gmichael

Audioholic Spartan
That may be "cheap" for that kind of viewing, but many of us simply don't have the 2 to 3 grand necessary for that kind of indulgence.
There are 1080p projectors available for just under $1000. Many people make their own screens for about $100.
When I bought mine, it was either $4k for a 50" plasma or the same $4k for two projectors.

P

PearlcorderS701

Banned
That's still a good deal of coin for many people right now, and I wouldn't even know where to begin making a screen of my own...:eek:

gmichael

gmichael

Audioholic Spartan
That's still a good deal of coin for many people right now, and I wouldn't even know where to begin making a screen of my own...:eek:
Yes it is. I would upgrade to 1080p if I could right now, but I can't. Not in the budget. It was the best deal for me at the time.
There are many DIY instructions available for screens if you ever do go that way.

bandphan

bandphan

Banned
If one is willing to take some advice for no reservations one can do a FP for 1200 - 1600 that has very good pq.
Edit. What would be nuts is if wanted to match my Plasma PQ with a FP (all new and drop screen, masked curtains) I'd drop at least 8-10k.

P

PearlcorderS701

Banned
Yes it is.
Not sure what you're saying here; you mentioned those prices in response to my reply of band's suggestion being too much money -- but now you're agreeing that it is indeed a lot?

I would upgrade to 1080p if I could right now, but I can't. Not in the budget. It was the best deal for me at the time.
Your display isn't 1080p? Are you running a TV or front projector?

There are many DIY instructions available for screens if you ever do go that way.
What I would really like to do is get the screen that drops down in front of our wall unit/TV for serious film viewing; but that would involve motorized components and such, and I just can't justify it.

T

templemaners

Senior Audioholic
My living room TV is a 32" LCD, and I sit about 8.5' away. :rolleyes: I was limited by that size when I bought it since I am still using my old entertainment center, which was designed for a tube TV.

It works ok for normal TV shows, but for a lot of video games and especially movies, it's quite underwhelming. Considering it still works, and the fact that I need to buy some other home theater parts first (like a receiver, center channel, and a more modern entertainment center), it'll probably stick around for quite a while longer. :(

bandphan

bandphan

Banned
audio and video purchases should be at the very least equal cost purchases when talking HT. The guy with the 5k audio setup and the 1k display is really missing out;)

P

PearlcorderS701

Banned
My living room TV is a 32" LCD, and I sit about 8.5' away. :rolleyes: I was limited by that size when I bought it since I am still using my old entertainment center, which was designed for a tube TV.

It works ok for normal TV shows, but for a lot of video games and especially movies, it's quite underwhelming. Considering it still works, and the fact that I need to buy some other home theater parts first (like a receiver, center channel, and a more modern entertainment center), it'll probably stick around for quite a while longer. :(

I COMPLETELY feel your pains, temple -- at least you're 8.5 feet away from your 32 inch! We're 13 feet from our 50, and this is because of the new room the TV is in, the entertainment center/wall unit we bought for the new house (which will hold at maximum a 58") and seating arrangements in the room. :rolleyes: :mad:

P

PearlcorderS701

Banned
audio and video purchases should be at the very least equal cost purchases when talking HT. The guy with the 5k audio setup and the 1k display is really missing out;)
I agree to a point, but sometimes these aren't one and the same -- just because someone spent $1K on a display doesn't mean it can't just about equal the audio system's performance; maybe the person got a really good deal on the display, etc. ;)

bandphan

bandphan

Banned
I hear ya but I'm not talking discounts but retail and this can get a little skewed with I'd companies great pricing.

P

PearlcorderS701

Banned
Okay; understood. Just sometimes the $1K purchase doesn't mean it would really "underperform" next to the more expensive audio stuff...:)

bandphan

bandphan

Banned
All good. Just an FYI its probably the fact that I've made a living in this industry and from a selling vs customer satisfaction stand point, I'm strong willed in my convictions. Remember I'm the guy that thinks everyone needs to spend at lease 1k on their remotes when they get to a certain level. :eek: I'm a system control nut and think that is way undervalued for the average user.

BoredSysAdmin

BoredSysAdmin

Audioholic Slumlord
I have aging 42" plasma (720p) and we sit about 9-10ft away...
Feels kinda ok, I wish I had twice the size and native 1080p, but budget isn't there yet. We still rent the place and all extra $ goes to saving for down payment

P

PearlcorderS701

Banned
I have aging 42" plasma (720p) and we sit about 9-10ft away...
Feels kinda ok, I wish I had twice the size and native 1080p, but budget isn't there yet. We still rent the place and all extra $ goes to saving for down payment
I TOTALLY feel your pains, too, man...but do yourself the favor and save up for that house! We did the same when we left our last rental, and once you're in, you can look at upgrading the screen. The room we're in can easily hold a 100 inch screen of some kind -- or larger -- but we simply can't do it.

N

Nugu

Audioholic
My dream is of a dedicated room with 7.2 surround a 58+ lcd and a projector. Instead of having them on the same wall though I want them on opposite walls with swiveling recliners centered in the room. I'd have to find some kind of speaker switch to change the layout but it's doable.

Until then I'm happy with my cheap 42" 1080p and 5.1. It's mounted higher than normal on the wall (eye-level while sitting = bottom edge of TV) to accommodate my reclined viewing angle. I'm ~6 ft away upright and 7 ft reclined. I stay reclined :D

P

PearlcorderS701

Banned
My dream is of a dedicated room with 7.2 surround a 58+ lcd and a projector. Instead of having them on the same wall though I want them on opposite walls with swiveling recliners centered in the room. I'd have to find some kind of speaker switch to change the layout but it's doable.

Until then I'm happy with my cheap 42" 1080p and 5.1. It's mounted higher than normal on the wall (eye-level while sitting = bottom edge of TV) to accommodate my reclined viewing angle. I'm ~6 ft away upright and 7 ft reclined. I stay reclined :D
I hear ya, Nugu. ;)

What constitutes "cheap" though? I am sure your 42" wasn't chump change for you -- why do you call it cheap?

dapack69

dapack69

Senior Audioholic
The reason I've not upgraded yet is I'm suppose to move in the next 2 months and don't want to take a chance of the movers breaking anything. Now once I get into the new place I'll be buying a 58" as that's the largest I can find for under $2000.

N

Nugu

Audioholic
What constitutes "cheap" though? I am sure your 42" wasn't chump change for you -- why do you call it cheap?
It was ~520$ around a year ago, Sanyo DP42849. It's really nice for what it cost at the time even if it's only 60 hz. The menu is very limited but between it and the fact that I use it mostly via my PC's HDMI (Loads of color/etc control) I've been able to get the colors pretty accurate and it hasn't gave me any problems.

Worst case is it'll become a secondary TV if I can ever get a income that isn't peanuts.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis