Clint DeBoer, Was That You?

G

GeorgeM

Audioholic
While viewing the End Credits (yeah, I always watch 'em) for a DVD that I recently bought, I saw Clint E DeBoer listed as a Dialog Editor. Was that the 'real you' or someone else's name that I saw on the big screen?

The movie title was 'The Cure.'

Just curious,

-GeorgeM

Tom Andry

Tom Andry

Speaker of the House
Dude, you watch the credits? You are HARDCORE!!!!!!! :eek: :D

That's me. Boy, that brings back memories... good movie.

You can see the films I worked on at imdb.com

Obviously I'm no longer editing sound - and thank goodness as that industry is tough on families.

Takeereasy

Takeereasy

Audioholic General
I have you to blame for timecop? Just kidding. I actually liked that movie. I think it represents the end of JCVD's credible list. Although I'm not sure how credible a list it ever really was. Cheesy action films seemed so cool when I was a young teen, but if I try and rewatch them now it's just painfull.

He certainly has become "direct to video" man - along with Steven Segal.

That movie (TimeCop) was insane to work on as it involved cutting together ridiculously intercut fight scenes where they insisted on using the original dialogue instead of doing ADR. Spent weeks on it - when they could have taken care of it in a single 1-2 hour looping session. That film was the one I cut my teeth on (as an assistant), with my buddy Neal Anderson providing the mentoring and most of the actual editing.

Had some of the funniest sounding lines - when spoken by JC. Near the end he tells his wife to tell his "past" self about her pregnancy... Comes out like "tellimboutdababee" we would walk around saying it in the studio along with his other memorable translations:

Everytime I see someone get punched on TV I still can't help but say "ooh, dasgatuhet" (JC for 'Ooh. That's got to hurt') - Of course Bruce Cambell should really own that quote for all time.

Rock&Roll Ninja

Rock&Roll Ninja

Audioholic Field Marshall
Although I'm not sure how credible a list it ever really was.
HERESY! Bloodsport remains one of the crown jewels of American cinema!

Takeereasy

Takeereasy

Audioholic General
That's a cool story Clint. It's always funny to hear insider stuff like that (I think at least). As far as I'm concerned you could have a whole section just debating over the coolest Bruce Campbell sayings. Army of darness has the best onliners in history IMHO. "Shop smart, shop S-Mart"

True bloodsport was a pretty darn sweet movie for it's day. And a guilty little secret is I can still watch it to this day.

I need to rent Evil Dead Part 2 (can't do part 1 due to the tree scene). I've told my wife all about it... trouble is, it's been many years and I'm not certain if it will live up to my hype.

Takeereasy

Takeereasy

Audioholic General
What is the tree scene? I'm drawing a blank. Evil dead was the first horror movie I ever saw. I watched it when I was only about 5 or 6. It scared me so bad I wouldn't rewatch it untill I was about 16. Now when i see the claymation special effects I laugh, but for their day they did the trick. I think that the part I found the scariest was the end of the movie. The good guys don't win, the guy doesn't save the girl, and the bad things could come for you in the daytime if they wanted. Very disturbing to a little kid.
Part two is half comedy, and it has some great lines too, told as only Ash can. My favourite is,"Who's laughing now?" told with tears running down his face while he thinks he's going crazy. For me Bruce Campbell will always be Ash, something I'm sure he'd be glad to hear. Nothing an actor likes more than being pigeon-holed.

Takeereasy

Takeereasy

Audioholic General
Ah, that tree scene. To be honest I always thought that they were vines that were on the forest floor. I just never put those together for some reason.

G

GeorgeM

Audioholic
The Evil Dead: That would be a nice little group to invite to 'liven' up (pun intended) a party! :eek: :eek: :eek: BYOT (Bring your own tree). :D

For Clint DeBoer:

1. Just by coincidence, Wooly Boys was released on DVD this week and among the headliners was Joe Mazzello who played the little boy in The Cure (not a little boy anymore!!!) Peter Fonda, Kris Kristofferson, and Keith Carradine were among the others in "A comedy about good friends and bad habits." Good flick.

2. Different subject: Does the Sound Editing process that is done for an original film have to be repeated for a DVD before it goes to press?

-------------------------------------------------------------------

For Mrnomas in Jayville:

It was kinda' amusing to read your HARDCORE reference :) . Just recently I read a comment by a movie critic on the web somewhere who stated that anyone who remains in their seat in a theater to watch the End Credits was either asleep or the equivalent of a pompous twit who was trying to impress someone; I think he was having a bad day :confused: . I can't migrate into any of those categories but since in my younger days I always wanted to stay to listen to the music that accompanied the credits. Sometimes it was a repeat of the film's theme; other times, something new.

And now, thanks to the magic of DVD's and the pause button, you can match an actor to the role (the one's ya' didn't know during the movie). identify that song or artist the 'gray matter' would not immediately reveal and discover the location where the film was shot (when it's not so obvious).

And finally, we discovered that Clint DeBoer was a member of that unique Hollywood fraternity although I don't he has a star yet on the Walk of Fame :) .

-GeorgeM

I wuz jest wunderin', do ya' have nightmares for a year if you watch the Evil Dead?

GeorgeM said:
2. Different subject: Does the Sound Editing process that is done for an original film have to be repeated for a DVD before it goes to press?
No - it's come a long way, but my understanding is that the final mix makes it to DVD. This is actually why THX post processing comes in handy to alter some things that are done specifically for cinema.

Everything is mixed into "stems" - Music, Effects, Backgrounds, Dialogue... as part of the post production process - including a final M&E (Music & Effects - basically everything but dialogue) version. (I believe they now even automatically ADR alternate lines for the eventual "TV" version.)

In addition, for films like Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon - they can then take the M&E track and add the English dub in later. Then all they need to do is remix the stems and they have a DVD that comes out with an option for English in 5.1 surround - voila!

For some reason they didn't do this for Jet Li's Hero, but I suppose they had a reason...

Tom Andry

Tom Andry

Speaker of the House
Good Show

George,

I'm glad you took my comment in the spirit it was intended. :)

I used to religiously stay to the end of a movie (or fast forward past the credits) just to see if they included any "extras" or bloopers. With the advent of DVD's and the Special Features section, this has all but vanished. I always felt like a member of an exclusive club for having caught the extras after the credits knowing that most other people weren't as "hardcore" as I was. I kinda miss that feeling.

C

claudermilk

Full Audioholic
mrnomas said:
George,

I'm glad you took my comment in the spirit it was intended. :)

I used to religiously stay to the end of a movie (or fast forward past the credits) just to see if they included any "extras" or bloopers. With the advent of DVD's and the Special Features section, this has all but vanished. I always felt like a member of an exclusive club for having caught the extras after the credits knowing that most other people weren't as "hardcore" as I was. I kinda miss that feeling.
LOL! I still do that...although in part it's to let the mad rush crowd its way out of the theater & leave me a nice, relaxed exit.

C

Cygnus

Senior Audioholic
Clint DeBoer said:
I do not recommend viewing this link for those with any sense of decency.

Ohh....and I looked at it! :( :p :D

Clint thats pretty cool, we can all say now "hey i know that guy!" :)

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis