M

MrBoat

Audioholic Ninja
I'm not *that* set on vintage electronics. I enjoy my vintage gear and ways, but I know just enough about electronics/electricity to not kill myself with it. Also, enough to gather pretty much the best of, and the capabilities of what's new-ish. I also know some brilliant and capable electronics engineers. Some of who work in audio, and some in things well above that industry. So when these EEs tell me that Class D is as capable (and even more so, especially with regard to efficiency) I believe them.

Anyway, I broke down and bought the Icepower 200asc based stereo amp kit from PE. It's my first plug and play type of thing beyond desktop PCs, really. Ordered the Ghent case that fits it as well. Not sure if I will leave it in this one or make my own case eventually, but this included almost all of the wiring harness to build the stereo amp, which has two separate boards. One of which, (the actual ASC board) contains the onboard power supply. For most of my 8 ohm speakers, I'm getting roughly 100W out of it, I reckon.

Currently using my Denon 3805 as a preamp to it and this little box makes my speakers sound as good as they ever could. What I really like is, the lack of heat and weight that typically comes with just about everything else I own. About the only real mental adjustment I am aware of is that this shouldn't sound as good and with as much power that something this small and light actually has. Either way, I am sold. The boards are well built, and I would grade them as aviation quality build at least. Solder joints are flawless, to my eye. If this thing holds up for a reasonable amount of time and abuse, I may never look back.

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
Haven't seen you in a while Boat! Nice post tho! Quality over quantity? :p

Good to see you're still having fun with this hobby and trying out some newer stuff. I haven't gone class d yet myself, and probably never will. Only because I'm pretty set now and into the future for amplification. If I were in the market tho I'd definitely make a point to check out some class d models. They really do seem to be coming into their own now.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
For some reason thought you already had a Crown XLS amp before....

ryanosaur

ryanosaur

Audioholic Overlord
;) I might be starting my own post along these lines, soon...
Stay tuned!
:cool:

M

MrBoat

Audioholic Ninja
Haven't seen you in a while Boat! Nice post tho! Quality over quantity? :p

Good to see you're still having fun with this hobby and trying out some newer stuff. I haven't gone class d yet myself, and probably never will. Only because I'm pretty set now and into the future for amplification. If I were in the market tho I'd definitely make a point to check out some class d models. They really do seem to be coming into their own now.
Multiple systems. This one is currently in my bedroom with my Paul Carmody Classix 2 speakers. Listened to two complete Patricia Barber CDs, back-to-back on it's first run, and I could live with this one amp. I also own an Adcom GFA-5500, and a couple Pass DIY amps, which are the Amp Camp mono blocks and the F5. This little Icepower deal sounds as good as anything I have ever owned and better than some, I imagine, if I cared to do a A/B trial. Also did a couple gain clones awhile back and in spite of all of these different ideas, it has been my finding that it's still the speakers that run the show.

M

MrBoat

Audioholic Ninja
For some reason thought you already had a Crown XLS amp before....
I have the Behringer 3000 dsp amp but only used it for subs. Haven't had my subs on in a long time since moving my Fusion-12 speakers into what has to be one of the best near field setups I have ever heard. I originally built this amp to use with my turntable and other speakers I like to use, just to keep the moths out of things.

William Lemmerhirt

William Lemmerhirt

Audioholic Overlord
Hey mr. boat!!! Long time. Glad to see you post some interesting stuff. As usual...
Hope them JBL’s are still getting some playtime. Hope you’re all good.

ryanosaur

ryanosaur

Audioholic Overlord
;) I might be starting my own post along these lines, soon...
Stay tuned!
:cool:
:)

M

MrBoat

Audioholic Ninja
I guess I should show the thing lit up without smoke. It is an excellent amp. I especially like what amounts to the portability of it and the lack of heat. So then, this, a small set of exceptional desk/shelf speakers, a couple cords and a cell phone and you could bring a pretty decent level of hi-fi all around the world with you.

I have to say, I am not one of those people who are surprised by small speakers bass response. I'm sorry but, anything under a 6.5" woofer (near field, at that) sounds small. I come from the land of displacement. It is a notion that is forever implanted right into my chest. I can sense the vibe in the room. Believe me, I have tried. Thus was the story of these Jamo speakers. I was not ultimately impressed. I am a reference level and above listener. All of these bookshelf types start to fall off there. Still, with the little Icepower amp, they make a decent little system. I could 'get by' with it. Now Paul Carmody's little Classix2s are a different story. Still nearfield nonetheless, but those speakers make me smile up close like. I could live with those.

Last edited:
M

MrBoat

Audioholic Ninja
Took the JBL S38IIs out for a cleaning and to flex their surrounds a bit. They also happen to be a perfect match with this Icepower amp.

William Lemmerhirt

William Lemmerhirt

Audioholic Overlord
Looking good mr boat! Funny, I just mentioned you and those speakers today! Not sure you know, but the JBL logo turns. Just pull it towards you and rotate. Glad to see you workin em out. Hope you’re all good down there.

M

MrBoat

Audioholic Ninja
Looking good mr boat! Funny, I just mentioned you and those speakers today! Not sure you know, but the JBL logo turns. Just pull it towards you and rotate. Glad to see you workin em out. Hope you’re all good down there.
You did me a good favor with these. I really do appreciate it. These are the kinds of things you can treasure for decades. I have some experience with JBL speakers and I suppose that's what they have going for them. I know what JBL is supposed to sound like. I can audition them in a store and tell if it's something I can work with at home. These days, with all of the redundancies of modern designs, and if I were to consider purchasing a commercial brand, JBL would be a pretty safe bet. The modern Studio Series of speakers by them are excellent as well.

William Lemmerhirt

William Lemmerhirt

Audioholic Overlord
You did me a good favor with these. I really do appreciate it. These are the kinds of things you can treasure for decades. I have some experience with JBL speakers and I suppose that's what they have going for them. I know what JBL is supposed to sound like. I can audition them in a store and tell if it's something I can work with at home. These days, with all of the redundancies of modern designs, and if I were to consider purchasing a commercial brand, JBL would be a pretty safe bet. The modern Studio Series of speakers by them are excellent as well.
Ok feel like it was a group effort.

I am very interested in the new HDI line. Kind of a touch expensive though.
Letters look great.

M

MrBoat

Audioholic Ninja
Ok feel like it was a group effort.

I am very interested in the new HDI line. Kind of a touch expensive though.
Letters look great.
I think if you had listened to them up close like this, you may have held onto them. Excellent as near field monitors. I keep trying to hear them trip over something and they just power right through. I am damping the table with my arms by leaning on it and it's an incredible listening experience. 8" woofers is a good scale to life size sound, up close like this. I could honestly live with just this as a system. Take it out of the closet and set it up in 5 minutes and take a hell of a ride, any time.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis