Class D and Me Too!... The Hypex Path

everettT

everettT

Audioholic Spartan
I have not seen that the NC400s need any buffer stage or additional OpAmp. They are commonly part of the builds using the NC500 and the Purifi Modules.
Quick perusal of the Apollon and Nord Amps using those modules will show you the same thing, along with how ATI is building theirs out: they use the NC500 Modules.

I know the ASR review of the NC400 build did not include a buffer stage, IIRC, it was a 2-Ch Amp with a shared power supply.
Thanks, I'll try to see if that was it.

ryanosaur

ryanosaur

Audioholic Overlord
More boxes:

Wonder what’s inside?

And then?

Hmmm... something isn’t right. The box said it was the right SMPS, but where are the Heat Sinks?

Ya... that’s not an SMPS600, that’s an OEM Amp Module, the NC250MP.

Hmmmmph.

Sent from a handheld device using a silly little app.

ryanosaur

ryanosaur

Audioholic Overlord
And so I dig a little deeper...
They sent me two of those mispacked NC250s!
But that means I have 3 of the proper units!

Anybody wanna see?

Ok, heat sinks, check.

Yup!

Ah, yes.

Sent from a handheld device using a silly little app.

ryanosaur

ryanosaur

Audioholic Overlord
Allright... I have a new box from Hypex! :D Can't wait to open it and see if the parts are right!!!

KEW

KEW

Audioholic Overlord
Allright... I have a new box from Hypex! :D Can't wait to open it and see if the parts are right!!!
Just get to it whenever you can...

No rush...

Don't mind us...

Any time now...

We'll just wait...

Dum-dee-dum-dee-dum ...

Yep! I'll just clip my finger nails while I'm waiting...

Take your time, I'm gonna get a sandwich...

Hmm, I need to clean the cobwebs off of the ceiling...

Whenever you're ready...

Good God, man, have ye no compassion!!!

You're killing us!!!

ryanosaur

ryanosaur

Audioholic Overlord
Yay! They got that right.
Now it's just the Chassis I have to deal with...
Trying to find out about Customs and the Ghent Audio Chassis. This is not a great time to be talking Chinese and Aluminum in the same sentence. I saw mention somewhere of possibly an 80% Tariff on the cost of the order! :eek:
Not so attractive.

DIY Audio Store has some interesting Aluminum Chassis options... these are coming out of Italy. I may be able to fit all 5 channels in the Chassis, which would be nice, frankly. The downside is that they are not readily available for Hypex parts the way the Ghent ones are. I am reaching out to them to determine if the work can be done (they offer Custom services) and how much it would cost to do. If the import cost from Italy is lower, the Chassis and custom work may well come out less expensive than anything from Ghent.
Without Tariffs, Ghent would be just under $500 for two Chassis, ready to go.
It looks I could get a basic 4U Chassis for $129 from DIY... then its just a matter of how much for the additional milling to be done for mounting the Amp components, balanced inputs, Binding Posts or SpeakOns...
*Sighs
Still a bit to go on this... probably not much in the answer department for another week, assuming I can get a customs person, somehow, to answer my calls!

'Til later!

M

MrBoat

Audioholic Ninja
I took the icepower boards out of the Ghent case. It's *too* overdone to the point of being predictable for my rather crude tastes. Welding/fabricating aluminum has been my day job for nearly 30 years. I am mulling over a design to make it my own but it will likely include welding. I could do something with stock extrusions as well but we will see.

My Pass DIY chassis I made in my back yard under the old oak tree. My kids will end up with these so, it's more along the lines of what they would expect of me. Hopefully, that adds some personal value enough to where they treasure it instead of hocking them for beer or pot. :D

KEW

KEW

Audioholic Overlord
@ryanosaur (and @MrBoat )

I thought you'd like to keep an eye on this link:

You can get a sense of what your efforts are worth and also might be a way to help support your audio "habit" if things get lean while Coronavirus is making us all it's bitch!

Edit: I linked the AudioScienceReview thread instead of going directly to ebay because I thought there might be interesting comments, but so far, nada!
It is interesting that the seller listed this under the "dealer" subforum instead of the "for sale" subforum. I suspect the dealer subforum attracts much less traffic.

Last edited:
M

MrBoat

Audioholic Ninja
@ryanosaur (and @MrBoat )

I thought you'd like to keep an eye on this link:

You can get a sense of what your efforts are worth and also might be a way to help support your audio "habit" if things get lean while Coronavirus is making us all it's bitch!

Edit: I linked the AudioScienceReview thread instead of going directly to ebay because I thought there might be interesting comments, but so far, nada!
It is interesting that the seller listed this under the "dealer" subforum instead of the "for sale" subforum. I suspect the dealer subforum attracts much less traffic.
A friend of mine borrowed my amp and my JBL S38 (the ones I got from a member of this forum) speakers about 3 months ago and wouldn't give them back! After about a month of him (nothing really serious, but he did try to play that covid social distance card) avoiding me, I had to physically go take them back from him. When I pulled up into his driveway, I could hear him listening to them. I don't think it cooled off the whole time he had it. He's a Nad and Parasound fan.

I've since taken it apart to finally finish the case I am making for it but just got real busy lately with other house stuff and hobbies (the latter of which I have too many). Maybe I finish it the next couple weeks. Either way, he would love to buy it from me and maybe I surprise him if I ever happen to catch the power module back in stock.

ryanosaur

ryanosaur

Audioholic Overlord
Is this build still waiting on a chassis?
Sadly, yes. This project has gotten strapped to the luggage rack on top of the old Buick. ;)
(I don’t drive a Buick, but you get the idea.)
Life has gotten in the way. Helping manage a cafe in the middle of a pandemic filled with willful people not wanting to protect humanity from themselves, much less themselves, is a bold challenge of insanity.

I stare at those 10 little white boxes daily.

I will follow up with DIY Store on my weekend starting tomorrow.

ryanosaur

ryanosaur

Audioholic Overlord
Like a stampede of banana slugs…

Two chassis from Ghent are (finally) ordered.

Updates will follow.

highfigh

highfigh

Seriously, I have no life.
Like a stampede of banana slugs…

Two chassis from Ghent are (finally) ordered.

Updates will follow.
Scanning is a really bad way to read- the first time I saw this post, I thought you wrote "Like a stampede of banana plugs.

ryanosaur

ryanosaur

Audioholic Overlord
Ghent is back to work after a Covid shutdown in Shanghai!

My chassis are shipping!!!
Ha, @Shanman ... I see you! ;) But it is really happening. I got the Fed Ex email, too.

Now the question... how long do you quarantine Chinese Aluminum being shipped from an active Covid Hotspot.

:p

(Unlike my new Apple products, where I open them and immediately inhale the packaged air... I'm thinking open these outside and leave them in direct sunlight for 3 days.)
bitch, bitch please, arika sato, arikasato, bitch, please Gif For Fun –  Businesses in USA

Swerd

Swerd

Audioholic Warlord
Now the question... how long do you quarantine Chinese Aluminum being shipped from an active Covid Hotspot.
If you're worried about this, make a dilute solution of powdered dish washer detergent, roughly a table spoon in a small bowl of hot water. It should quickly dissolve. The alkaline detergent, roughly pH 8 to 9, will inactivate viruses and other microorganisms.

Wear rubber gloves. Dip a sponge in that solution and wipe down the aluminum case. Do this twice, but don't let it dry. Then rinse twice with hot water. Hot rinse water lets it dry faster.

If the case is anodized black, you can go slower without worrying about pitting the aluminum. If it's polished aluminum (not anodized), work faster.

Don't do this to the electronic boards. Leave them alone.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis