Class D and Me Too!... The Hypex Path

ryanosaur

ryanosaur

Audioholic Overlord
What is a JST connector?

Can you post a photo of the connections?
JST is a similar connector to Molex. Here is a page from the Ghent site showing some of them.
The housing can be seen on the SMPS module, front left:
1681486446078.png

More details will be seen when I get photos up.

ryanosaur

ryanosaur

Audioholic Overlord
So after some communication with Hypex, the thought of one of their guys is that it is a grounding issue in the 2-channel Chassis.
While I was careful to perform every step the same across all five channels, it certainly is a possibility that I borked something along the way: I would be a fool to not think that a possibility.

After a press of work gets cleared, I will try a few different things to see if I can identify what is happening. The easy one is to unplug the external inputs from the XLR connections and see if the Amps still make the unwanted sounds (this is the primary step Hypex asked me to take next and if I follow they want to eliminate something outside of the Female Chassis Mount XLR Connector being responsible for the noise; so powered on while connected to Speakers with no cable connecting to input).
The other thing I will likely do if that test still results in noise is to switch amp modules from the 2-CH to the 3-CH Chassis as this will absolutely answer whether it is a bad module or a bad build.
If the latter, I may just need to scrap the current XLRs in the 2-CH Chassis for new ones and start that process over again...
...Somehow, my biggest concern is that I will need to redo the XLR connections and whatnot in the 2-CH Chassis and not that the two modules are bad. (While it is absolutely possible one or both could be bad, it just really doesn't seem all that likely that I got two lemons and they just happened to both end up in the same Chassis... Yes it is within the realm of possibility, but much less probable than anything I would place a bet on. ;) )

It's looking like by Wednesday I can sit down and start playing Amp doctor. *fingers crossed

ryanosaur

ryanosaur

Audioholic Overlord
OK. It's done. And I'm not gonna pretend to understand this one. But all 5 channels are working.

I opened them both up today, switched the questionable modules around with 2 from the 3-channel Chassis and hooked it up with no input plugged in. And I got the same noise.
"D@mn!"
I switched it off and started to unhook things, then thought I should try the "good" channel that was originally in that chassis, so I switched the "center" Speaker to "right" channel (which was the good module I left in the Chassis)... AND GOT THE SAME SOUND!
Baffled, I decided that for whatever reason I was testing these on some Spare Speakers, they hadn't blown up and the BMRs that this particular Amp Module was powering were fine, so I said "d@mn the torpedos" and plugged in the Phil3...

And there was Silence.

Somehow my Test Speakers were causing the problem!

All Hypex Amps are fully reassembled and fully integrated back into the system complete with Audyssey and some level tweaking.

So relieved, and quite befuddled by all this. But they work!

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
OK. It's done. And I'm not gonna pretend to understand this one. But all 5 channels are working.

I opened them both up today, switched the questionable modules around with 2 from the 3-channel Chassis and hooked it up with no input plugged in. And I got the same noise.
"D@mn!"
I switched it off and started to unhook things, then thought I should try the "good" channel that was originally in that chassis, so I switched the "center" Speaker to "right" channel (which was the good module I left in the Chassis)... AND GOT THE SAME SOUND!
Baffled, I decided that for whatever reason I was testing these on some Spare Speakers, they hadn't blown up and the BMRs that this particular Amp Module was powering were fine, so I said "d@mn the torpedos" and plugged in the Phil3...

And there was Silence.

All Hypex Amps are fully reassembled and fully integrated back into the system complete with Audyssey and some level tweaking.

But did it open new horizons? Make things "sing"? Did you come harder?

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

Seriously, I have no life.

"D@mn!"

And there was Silence.

What were the speakers you were testing with? Capacitative loads can make amps oscillate. I have no experience with class D amps though. I have actually only heard of this problem when driving electrostatic speakers, but I highly doubt you would be driving one of those.

ryanosaur

ryanosaur

Audioholic Overlord
But did it open new horizons? Make things "sing"? Did you come harder?
I thought we were about Truth In Audio, here? :p

No veils lifting or mountaintops... No stories of Pace Rhythm & Timing improvements... The Lady didn't yell from the Kitchen that the system sounded better, somehow...

It is just the thing we all hope for: Good clean power that doesn't introduce any unwanted coloration. :D

That and the satisfaction that I assembled them, and they work... and moreover, they didn't blow up my rig!

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
I thought we were about Truth In Audio, here? :p

No veils lifting or mountaintops... No stories of Pace Rhythm & Timing improvements... The Lady didn't yell from the Kitchen that the system sounded better, somehow...

It is just the thing we all hope for: Good clean power that doesn't introduce any unwanted coloration. :D

That and the satisfaction that I assembled them, and they work... and moreover, they didn't blow up my rig!
Good to know and congrats on the finished build! You're one of my audio heroes :)

ryanosaur

ryanosaur

Audioholic Overlord
What were the speakers you were testing with? Capacitative loads can make amps oscillate. I have no experience with class D amps though. I have actually only heard of this problem when driving electrostatic speakers, but I highly doubt you would be driving one of those.
They were my old Philharmonic AA+ monitors that I modded with the Morel Tweeter. They worked before I shelved them. I'm gonna check them with the Multi-meter tomorrow and plug them into the Outlaws just to make certain... but they should be solid.

CB22

CB22

Senior Audioholic

"D@mn!"

And there was Silence.

Looking forward to seeing some pics of this amp!

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis