Choosing active subwoofer

S

sand87

Audioholic
I am looking to purchase an active subwoofer that would be paired with a RXV-685 and i have very less knowledge about a good one in the market even after reading through many articles.
I was on te lookout for a POLK HTS 10 considering the price.Though i got suggested SVS too and came across BIC and elacs too.The ones i saw are
1.Polk HTS 10 - 491$(Rs36000)
2.Polk HTS12 - 642$(Rs 47000)
2.SVS SB 1000 - 1052$(Rs77000)
3.SVS PB1000-1052$(Rs77000)
4.ELAC 3010-806$(59000)
5.BIC PL200 II - 683$(49980Rs)

Many of these except polk are really costly>
My room is 15*14 ft and the front speakers i use are Polk signature series S20 bookshelves.

Could you guys suggest
1.any better subwoofer at reasonable costs that will fit my room
2.The driver size suitable for my room

Please consider the pricing as SVS almost all are in the 1000$ range here in india.

S

shadyJ

Speaker of the House
Staff member
I think the best sub from that bunch will be the SVS PB-1000. I think a good alternative would be 2 Polk HTS12 subs though, if you can get a discount on them.

mazersteven

mazersteven

Audioholic Warlord
true but in the 500-750 dollar range wat would u suggest.if there is any other brand than the ones i mentioned pls do let me know
So you say you willing to go to 750 and at the SVS is 1000. In my opinion save another 250 and get the proper subwoofer the others you mentioned are just noisemakers

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
true but in the 500-750 dollar range wat would u suggest.if there is any other brand than the ones i mentioned pls do let me know
Have no idea what your choices are there outside of your listing.....I know we have far more choices at about half the prices or better here in the US. I just build my own these days....but that won't necessarily save you money....and you may not have the choices in drivers/amps/building materials, or a place and tools to build with like I do. Depends what quality level you can live with for the cost. I like Shady's advice (he's our sub reviewer if you didn't know). Usually Polk doesn't even get recommended, but these HTS ones are an improvement over their past offerings....they may work well enough for you.....

S

sand87

Audioholic
So you say you willing to go to 750 and at the SVS is 1000. In my opinion save another 250 and get the proper subwoofer the others you mentioned are just noisemakers
no cant go that high though i know it will always be better but hey compromises.i just want to know as to what will be the best bang for the buck in this range.if i had that much to splurge i wud surely go for it.

S

sand87

Audioholic
Have no idea what your choices are there outside of your listing.....I know we have far more choices at about half the prices or better here in the US. I just build my own these days....but that won't necessarily save you money....and you may not have the choices in drivers/amps/building materials, or a place and tools to build with like I do. Depends what quality level you can live with for the cost. I like Shady's advice (he's our sub reviewer if you didn't know). Usually Polk doesn't even get recommended, but these HTS ones are an improvement over their past offerings....they may work well enough for you.....
yea polks are really not my go to choice too.here i have seen almost all woofers.svs sadly is too costly here but if u were to suggest wat would u?i for one know that i dont want the boomy muddy bass but the right tight kind if bass that isnt mushy.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
yes of course.but see the diff.svs pb1000 and polk hts are close.but here the cost is different by a huge margin.though the polks are 642 dollars but svs goes upto 1000 dollars.told in dollars just to give u an idea.i dont know why this huge diff though
Price differences could be due volume of sales, transportation/duties, distribution layers....do you have any taxes on top of the prices?

S

sand87

Audioholic
Price differences could be due volume of sales, transportation/duties, distribution layers....do you have any taxes on top of the prices?
thankfully on top of this no.its 77k in india and kind of a yamaha aventage 880 cms at this price to give a rough idea.the 500$ is ok to imagine.it cms to around 36k in india.this is almost more than twice the amt

K

kini

Full Audioholic
yes of course.but see the diff.svs pb1000 and polk hts are close.but here the cost is different by a huge margin.though the polks are 642 dollars but svs goes upto 1000 dollars.told in dollars just to give u an idea.i dont know why this huge diff though
Go with the Polk HTS12. It will only be giving up a little output under 25hz to the PB1000 but will have more above 30hz. Based on user reviews and one review on another forum it's a good sub.

S

sand87

Audioholic
Go with the Polk HTS12. It will only be giving up a little output under 25hz to the PB1000 but will have more above 30hz. Based on user reviews and one review on another forum it's a good sub.
so considering my room size is it ok to go the polk HTS 10'' way?

William Lemmerhirt

William Lemmerhirt

Audioholic Overlord
so considering my room size is it ok to go the polk HTS 10'' way?
Imo only if you’re gonna use two. I would get at least the 12, and ideally two. Polk has come a long way in making subs and these new ones are pretty decent, considering the cost especially. Personally, if the SVS is within reach, I’d go that way as it is better, plus you have the bill of rights, and the upgrade option for the future.
Two of the hts12 would be louder and be able to even out the bass response throughout the seating, but they’ll be all done by 25hz no matter how many you add. So for my use case, I’d get the Pb1000 and try to add one as soon as I could. Or trade it in and upgrade.

afterlife2

afterlife2

Audioholic Warlord
I think the best sub from that bunch will be the SVS PB-1000. I think a good alternative would be 2 Polk HTS12 subs though, if you can get a discount on them.
I agree with a Shady. Are they easily returnable? If anything get 2 Polk 10 inch and see if you get good results. Also see if you can find a Dayton 1500 or two 1200.

S

sand87

Audioholic
I agree with a Shady. Are they easily returnable? If anything get 2 Polk 10 inch and see if you get good results. Also see if you can find a Dayton 1500 or two 1200.
no not easily returnable.dayton i will try.are there anybother good subwoofers in the polk HTS12 range considering indian prices mentioned above that i can go for?

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Imo only if you’re gonna use two. I would get at least the 12, and ideally two. Polk has come a long way in making subs and these new ones are pretty decent, considering the cost especially. Personally, if the SVS is within reach, I’d go that way as it is better, plus you have the bill of rights, and the upgrade option for the future.
Two of the hts12 would be louder and be able to even out the bass response throughout the seating, but they’ll be all done by 25hz no matter how many you add. So for my use case, I’d get the Pb1000 and try to add one as soon as I could. Or trade it in and upgrade.
He's in India and the extra SVS customer service stuff isn't gonna happen.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis