Choosing a new projector

killdozzer

killdozzer

Audioholic Samurai
Hi all,

I'm thinking about replacing my old projector when the lamp comes close to the end rather than buying a new lamp and I would like to ask for your help, comments and advice. My projector has its bugs and although it served me well, I think I can find something better since there has been some development.

First and foremost I'm not going for the 4K. Full HD is optimal for me. I guess that's the first place to cut the price.

My budget would be around 1300$ (please try not to push me into much higher prices because I'll will yield :D)

I'm very much into REC. 709 as I'd like to go for the best image and not much else matters to me. Wireless being the only other thing that interests me. I’m looking into DLP as I read all over forums that they do deep black much better. I don't need 3D or big zoom or side projection, nor do I need good sound from the projector, sound will come through my speakers. I'm going for the best image I can get + if possible; wireless. The thing is, it has to be placed near our heads, so I’m looking for a model that really boasts how silent it is. I’m going for the 100” max. with this one.

I can have my room pitch black in broad daylight. I have 9 feet distance so I'm taking Short Throw projectors into consideration, but it’s not a must have.

I have a feeling that projector brands are much more global than audio, so I expect no problems in that department. Available to me are the following: Benq, Epson, Optoma, Sony, Panasonic, JVC, InFocus (also Canon, Hitachi, LG)

It doesn’t have to be this year’s model, nor the last year’s.

I’m trying hard to pick the winner of the “best buy” award. The best image I can get for 1300$.

Most important in a specific order:
  • Best possible picture for the money (1300$)
  • If possible – wireless (send a video clip from your iPhone directly to the projector)
  • As quiet as possible
  • Reliable brand

Last edited:
TheWarrior

TheWarrior

Audioholic Ninja
I nabbed an Epson 3100 during holiday sales for about $900. Considering the cost to get a JVC, I think the Epson represents excellent value - AND Epson makes their own lamps. I think I paid $80 for a back up 3100 lamp!

Out of the box color is pretty good, lamp warms up quickly, no obnoxious noises. Happy customer!

killdozzer

killdozzer

Audioholic Samurai
I nabbed an Epson 3100 during holiday sales for about $900. Considering the cost to get a JVC, I think the Epson represents excellent value - AND Epson makes their own lamps. I think I paid $80 for a back up 3100 lamp!

Out of the box color is pretty good, lamp warms up quickly, no obnoxious noises. Happy customer!
Thank you, I'll definitely check it out.

The reason I ask is I suddenly find a million models on the market. Not brands, but models of each brand and shops don't always carry a lot of info on their web sites. For example, BenQ doesn't have an archive and the market is volatile as hell. Check this:
Audioholics1.jpg

Audioholics2.jpg

This is a crazy, astronomical difference of almost my entire budget. In the first pic, the red price is what I would have to pay, that's incl. tax. The second, again the red price is 24% off. But even without the discount it would be half the price of this other shop.

And in US$ this is like 2090$ in one shop and 890 in another. So am I getting the chance of a life time or what? AV forum doesn't have a review on this particular model.

Also I'm not stuck on this model. That's why I ask, I wanted to hear a couple of "audition-worthy" model suggestions from you to narrow this field down. I'm getting lost.

Now I see that you have FullHD business/presentation projectors, not that I see any use of it. These come with a stronger lamp, but I don't know what else is different. Are they suitable for movies.

British WhatHiFi has a winner in my category and it's Optoma UHD40 But I'm not sure about that brand. I don't have any experience with it. (I must add I'm happy to see that still today the budget winner is my Epson at least for the WhatHiFi.)

If anyone else heard of a projector that really has great image for the HT and doesn't cost much, please give me a tip. What do you think is the best you can get for the money?

I checked the Audioholics' recommendations for 2018, but saw no projector there.

• If possible – wireless (send a video clip from your iPhone directly to the projector)
  • As quiet as possible
  • Reliable brand

Last edited:
TheWarrior

TheWarrior

Audioholic Ninja
Thank you, I'll definitely check it out.

The reason I ask is I suddenly find a million models on the market. Not brands, but models of each brand and shops don't always carry a lot of info on their web sites. For example, BenQ doesn't have an archive and the market is volatile as hell. Check this:

• As quiet as possible
  • Reliable brand
The BenQ W2000 also uses a $219 lamp - aside from the fact that it is no longer in production!

The "chance of a lifetime" as you called it, is just someone trying to make extra money off of a close-out product.

I honestly believe that the best value for a New 1080p projector is the Epson 3100.

It is a big step in performance from my Epson 2045 that got me started on the road to projection. But because I wanted to build my own loudspeaker, as well as needing a Perforated Screen for my bedroom set up, I opted for a modest projector upgrade with the 3100 - instead of going nuts with a new JVC. (maybe next year :)

Good luck!

killdozzer

killdozzer

Audioholic Samurai
The BenQ W2000 also uses a $219 lamp - aside from the fact that it is no longer in production!

The "chance of a lifetime" as you called it, is just someone trying to make extra money off of a close-out product.

I honestly believe that the best value for a New 1080p projector is the Epson 3100.

It is a big step in performance from my Epson 2045 that got me started on the road to projection. But because I wanted to build my own loudspeaker, as well as needing a Perforated Screen for my bedroom set up, I opted for a modest projector upgrade with the 3100 - instead of going nuts with a new JVC. (maybe next year :)

Good luck!
I dared say brands woldn't be a problem, now of course they are a problem:). I'm having a hard time finding the model number by which it goes outside US. I found for some other models, but not this one. Is it possible it's only meant for US market?

BMXTRIX

BMXTRIX

Audioholic Warlord
The BenQ HT2050A is still considered one of the absolute best images you can get for entry level projection under $1,000. You don't add much at $1,300 as you start getting into the UHD DLP pixel shifters at that price point. The pixel shifters do not have the contrast of the 1080p models and IMO aren't going to be a step up for anyone who lives in a 1080p world.

Wireless is a joke, a myth, a stupid thing to expect a projector to do. If you want wireless, get a AppleTV with Airplay, or a Chromecast and attach it to your home network and your A/V receiver. Don't ever ask or expect this from a projector. You will quickly find out how cruddy (almost all) wireless is.

If I were buying new, the BenQ HT2050A is the way I would go. It can give you a 100" diagonal from as close as 8'4" lens to screen. This throw distance matters a LOT as 9' lens to screen for a 100" diagonal is rarely possible.
It is worth noting that the W2000 appears to be a very similar international version of the HT2050A. I'm never sure with non-US models what is what, but Projector Central has the specs for both, and they are nearly identical.
https://www.projectorcentral.com/BenQ-W2000.htm
https://www.projectorcentral.com/BenQ-HT2050A.htm

I'm not sure what projector you have right now, and what you would consider an upgrade. You typically aren't going to get 'silent' from a small, bright, box projector.
I would consider the Sony HW45ES, used, if you can find one at a good price. It is one of the best out there for being dead silent and delivering on great image quality. It is not LCD or DLP, but LCoS, which is generally considered king of the hill in terms of image quality.
Likewise, a used JVC RS46 can be had for under $1,000 and will outperform the Sony, which in turns outperforms the BenQ.
But, used models carry risks and no warranty, which may not be something you want to deal with. Still, the jump in quality is huge. The ISSUE? Neither the Sony nor the JVC can hit a 100" diagonal from 9' lens to screen.

killdozzer

killdozzer

Audioholic Samurai
The BenQ HT2050A is still considered one of the absolute best images you can get for entry level projection under $1,000. You don't add much at $1,300 as you start getting into the UHD DLP pixel shifters at that price point. The pixel shifters do not have the contrast of the 1080p models and IMO aren't going to be a step up for anyone who lives in a 1080p world.

Wireless is a joke, a myth, a stupid thing to expect a projector to do. If you want wireless, get a AppleTV with Airplay, or a Chromecast and attach it to your home network and your A/V receiver. Don't ever ask or expect this from a projector. You will quickly find out how cruddy (almost all) wireless is.

If I were buying new, the BenQ HT2050A is the way I would go. It can give you a 100" diagonal from as close as 8'4" lens to screen. This throw distance matters a LOT as 9' lens to screen for a 100" diagonal is rarely possible.
It is worth noting that the W2000 appears to be a very similar international version of the HT2050A. I'm never sure with non-US models what is what, but Projector Central has the specs for both, and they are nearly identical.
https://www.projectorcentral.com/BenQ-W2000.htm
https://www.projectorcentral.com/BenQ-HT2050A.htm

I'm not sure what projector you have right now, and what you would consider an upgrade. You typically aren't going to get 'silent' from a small, bright, box projector.
I would consider the Sony HW45ES, used, if you can find one at a good price. It is one of the best out there for being dead silent and delivering on great image quality. It is not LCD or DLP, but LCoS, which is generally considered king of the hill in terms of image quality.
Likewise, a used JVC RS46 can be had for under $1,000 and will outperform the Sony, which in turns outperforms the BenQ.
But, used models carry risks and no warranty, which may not be something you want to deal with. Still, the jump in quality is huge. The ISSUE? Neither the Sony nor the JVC can hit a 100" diagonal from 9' lens to screen.
I read a lot of your posts in the past and I am inclined to take your word on the subject. But hey:
a stupid thing to expect
no need for name calling. :) Just kidding. I didn't know it's that bad. I want to have a projector in my bedroom. It would be great to connect it via Bluetooth so that I don't need to bring any sort of player into the room. Even to connect it Internet and stream a movie from some on line service. No cables, no nothin'.

Even better than what you assumed, 2050a is suppose to be w1110 in Europe, so w2000 is a step up. I guess if I can get it at 890$, I should.

This is what I have at the moment. It was the cheapest 1080 I could find at the time. I'm very happy with it. The image impresses everyone who sees it. But I think it should be set up in a way that doesn't require keystone.

I had it for a couple of years and the lamp is moving to the end. In the meantime I noticed that even on flatest surfaces, not every part of the picture is equaly sharp.
Also, with no signal, projecting just the black/dark square onto the wall, you can see a purple spot just of the centre to the left. The size of a dinner plate. I opened the projector and tried cleaning everything I could (by air mostly, no worries), but nothing affected the purple spot. So I’m guessing it’s on one of the LCD displays or somewhere out of my reach.

I am expecting improvement in colours, some in detail and sharpness. I also expect to have darker blacks with far less green in them. But improvement is not the main reason for buying new. I see this one closing to an end, so I’m trying to buy the entry level HD again as I did the first time. Since I was happy with this one, I’m not worried. I just don't want go down the ladder.

TheWarrior

TheWarrior

Audioholic Ninja
I dared say brands woldn't be a problem, now of course they are a problem:). I'm having a hard time finding the model number by which it goes outside US. I found for some other models, but not this one. Is it possible it's only meant for US market?
Hey this is fun, I just shopped Epson Croatia!

EH-6700 appears to be what I am calling the 3100 - there seems to be a Wifi variant.

Also amusing, the projector you have currently IS the model I started with and am moving to the bedroom. If I ever become willing to throw down the money for a JVC, the old Epson will be sold, and the 3100 will take its place in the bedroom.

That said, BMXTRIX has been installing systems for a long time, so I do not doubt his recommendation of the BenQ. I was pleased with my first Epson purchase and along with the inexpensive lamps felt it was an easy choice.

Be sure to share whatever you end up with!

killdozzer

killdozzer

Audioholic Samurai
Hey this is fun, I just shopped Epson Croatia!

EH-6700 appears to be what I am calling the 3100 - there seems to be a Wifi variant.

Also amusing, the projector you have currently IS the model I started with and am moving to the bedroom. If I ever become willing to throw down the money for a JVC, the old Epson will be sold, and the 3100 will take its place in the bedroom.

That said, BMXTRIX has been installing systems for a long time, so I do not doubt his recommendation of the BenQ. I was pleased with my first Epson purchase and along with the inexpensive lamps felt it was an easy choice.

Be sure to share whatever you end up with!
I'm glad we agree on the entry level Epson. It is really good. What I do is set to fine processing what is meant for gaming and this results in smother feel an less jerky pic. When camera is panning across, sometimes I have a smoother action than even in cinema.

I also want to end up with two. I just love falling asleep while watching something and with less and less free time, my movie time gets pushed to later hours, so it's bed time/movie time. Mounting a projector over my head is no problem, but if I have to bring all the equipment and do all the cabling, it'll get too much. I imagine a shelf four feet from the ground and a projector siting atop. Over time one power cable will be inside the wall, and that's it. One wireless mouse is what I'd like, click on the Internet - some streaming service that has HD material and just play. That would be great.

TheWarrior

TheWarrior

Audioholic Ninja
I'm glad we agree on the entry level Epson. It is really good. What I do is set to fine processing what is meant for gaming and this results in smother feel an less jerky pic. When camera is panning across, sometimes I have a smoother action than even in cinema.

I also want to end up with two. I just love falling asleep while watching something and with less and less free time, my movie time gets pushed to later hours, so it's bed time/movie time. Mounting a projector over my head is no problem, but if I have to bring all the equipment and do all the cabling, it'll get too much. I imagine a shelf four feet from the ground and a projector siting atop. Over time one power cable will be inside the wall, and that's it. One wireless mouse is what I'd like, click on the Internet - some streaming service that has HD material and just play. That would be great.
Thanks for the tip! I never tried any of the gaming modes, just made some minor picture adjustments.

I've been repurposing an electronics cabinet that I built, and have been placing the projector on it - the 'entry level' model filled the screen perfectly at that distance.

But I do want to get it out the way so there is nothing between the ears and the speakers. As soon as travel lets up, I can get both projectors hung and finally try out this Stewart Perforated screen I've been sitting on.....

Have you ordered a projector?

BMXTRIX

BMXTRIX

Audioholic Warlord
I didn't know it's that bad. I want to have a projector in my bedroom. It would be great to connect it via Bluetooth so that I don't need to bring any sort of player into the room. Even to connect it Internet and stream a movie from some on line service. No cables, no nothin'.

Even better than what you assumed, 2050a is suppose to be w1110 in Europe, so w2000 is a step up. I guess if I can get it at 890$, I should.
I'm not sure if it has a US equivalent. It may be similar to the HT3050. Solid model.

The biggest jump is the black levels and you should get a jump in sharpness. LCD and DLP (6 segment like BenQ has here) have very similar colors as long as you aren't overdriving brightness.

As far as wireless, there's a difference between streaming a movie from Netflix through a wireless player, and playing HDMI video from a different source in the room. So, your PC needs to be wired to the projector or your cable box. But, you can hook up a Roku Stick or a FireStick, or a Chromecast device directly to the projector. You are stuck with projector audio at that point. As is typical, projectors work best with a proper A/V receiver and sources plugged into that. Then plug HDMI out of the receiver into the projector. Not sure if this is how you are doing things or not.

killdozzer

killdozzer

Audioholic Samurai
I'm not sure if it has a US equivalent. It may be similar to the HT3050. Solid model.

The biggest jump is the black levels and you should get a jump in sharpness. LCD and DLP (6 segment like BenQ has here) have very similar colors as long as you aren't overdriving brightness.

As far as wireless, there's a difference between streaming a movie from Netflix through a wireless player, and playing HDMI video from a different source in the room. So, your PC needs to be wired to the projector or your cable box. But, you can hook up a Roku Stick or a FireStick, or a Chromecast device directly to the projector. You are stuck with projector audio at that point. As is typical, projectors work best with a proper A/V receiver and sources plugged into that. Then plug HDMI out of the receiver into the projector. Not sure if this is how you are doing things or not.
At the moment I'm going through HDMI. Since it's the bedroom we're talking about, one shelf (or other type of support) is needed for the projector and then you need a place for the PC (laptop in my case).
Since I'm planning on buying a new projector, I thought it would be a good moment to get rid of extra cables. I and my lady both use lap tops and my end goal is to have some sort of “in-house” cloud, a central PC that will store the lot and we’ll connect to the central PC via our lap tops’ wireless. In that case I would like my Projector to be able to connect to my PC as well. In case of streaming video content from the Internet, I would use the projector screen as interface and I would control it with a wireless mouse that is connected to the central PC. I use the “ease of access” keyboard in such cases when typing the titles of shows I’m looking for.

The central PC would also store all the music digital files I’ve acquired over the years. It would be placed near the audio system and I would connect it to the audio system (this is the reason I was always looking for an amp with a DAC USB as I was always planning to bring the signal in digital domain to a DAC that’s removed from the inner workings of a PC, but let’s not get not that again).

I’m very anti third party cloud computing. No way am I agreeing to that.

So, I want to build a large storage that is reachable from anywhere in the house and my lap top would be a “control device”. I’m cooking in the kitchen and changing albums that play on my main system in the living room. Also, when I go to bed in the evening, main PC’s desktop is visible over the projector as if it were the PC’s monitor.

Have you ordered a projector?
This is the choosing fase. I will order soon, but I still have some other things to sort out first. I had a death in my family recently so...
I gave myself enough time to pick and choose.

BMXTRIX

BMXTRIX

Audioholic Warlord
So, you have some very lofty goals, and I'm not sure there is really a solution to what you want. You see, audio and video are not 'network' based items that are static and you need a PC at any device to decode compressed audio and video files for playback. Some devices, such as 'smart' TVs have a certain amount of file playback ability built in, but projectors are more like computer monitors, they don't typically have any 'smart' built in and are almost entirely built around the concept of showing the video that you feed it.

Compressed internet video is just not 'standard'. That is, it may be encoded with h.265, h.264, it may have surround sound, it may have HD audio, or it may be stereo. You need licensing for different formats of playback, and if you want to keep up with the latest format, you need to update the system to accept that new format.

Which is what a PC can do, but not what your computer monitor can do.

So, what you want to do will likely never be possible with anything built into a projector, but what you can do is look at getting a small device to plug into the projector which can give you some of what you want. That is, there are small form factor PCs which can go with the projector and have enough horsepower to decode streamed video. You can get a PC stick, but I'm not sure how strong they are for video playback. There are other devices for playback of Netflix and Amazon video as well as other streaming services. These devices are inexpensive and wildly popular for online streaming.

For local playback of video files, there are media servers, such as Dune HD which are in use, but are designed as a single playback device. I'm not sure the size of all that they offer.

At the end of the day, I've often wished that there was a in-home streaming network standard where you can connect a device to your network as a source, anywhere in your home, and then any TV in your home on the same network would identify that device and make it available as a source. But, that does not exist yet. It may never. Certainly getting that level of tech into a TV or projector isn't something I see happening anytime soon yet either.

Until then, you get a source and you will have to plug it directly into an A/V receiver or the projector.

killdozzer

killdozzer

Audioholic Samurai
Thank you very much @BMXTRIX for taking the time to think this thru.
Please don't mind if I ask you to confirm, you think this is just marketing BS:
one-stop-wireless-w3000.gif

it's this model.

Last edited:
BMXTRIX

BMXTRIX

Audioholic Warlord
I don't know what product that is. A HDMI splitter to a wireless HDMI repeater is not a unheard of way to get video to two locations at the same time. But, it requires a separate set of parts and pieces to make it all work.

The control is then based on what the sources allow. All this does is mirror the source.

Anything that must go through a computer for software based video encoding will not only have latency, but will also introduce artifacts and degrade image quality. Hardware based video transmission is often uncompressed and works point-to-point with support for 3Gb/s video/audio. It is pricey and still only takes a source HDMI signal and sends it to a destination. It has no control over the source remotely.

So, we are talking about two different things really.

You can do complete wireless through things like a AppleTV (Airplay) or Chromecast device. But, it is heavily compressed video and doesn't match the source.
You can do wireless HDMI, but you will pay more for uncompressed solutions, they are ALL very questionable on quality. And they just mirror a source's HDMI output, they aren't pure 'wireless'.

Sources have HDMI output.

I can say, there are some projectors, like the XGimi H1/H2 models which have built in decoding (smartTV style) and can play back both audio and video files from the network. I had good luck with my H.264 encoded .mkv files across my network. It also has built in Netflix which seemed to work well. I guess it is based on Android. It's not great, and the instructions are (literally) non-existent.

The projector is decent. It's absolutely usable at 100" diagonal. The projector must be level with the bottom of the screen or upside down at the top of the screen. It has minimal zoom and no lens shift. It MUST go where it MUST go. So, if you want a projector in a specific location, you have to get a projector which works at that location. I really likely the XGimi model for what it was. But, it wasn't flexible at all in the setup, and the Bluetooth remote was an issue as I use universal remotes to run everything and it wasn't compatible.

Plus, you can get a AndroidTV online and get the same functionality, or better and just put it right on top of your projector.

killdozzer

killdozzer

Audioholic Samurai
@BMXTRIX
I do understand what you're saying, don't get me wrong, but I have a feeling a failed to explain myself.

First of, I clearly made the link to the product too small. It is under the gif, the link goes to BenQ W1070+, they claim full HD wireless. BenQ is not a bad company and I wouldn't write it of immediately.

Burying few meters of HDMI cable from my living room to my bedroom is not an option (there’s also supposed to be a recommendable length for HDMI).

I would like to see this working, but you gave me an idea if it fails. I’ll slap a small HTPC under the projector shelf.

Until then, you said something about mirroring. This could be good enough. I can connect to my GF’s laptop and start a video clip. If it’s DivX it won’t lag, but if it’s HD it will. Someone told me this is due to slow communication between two laptops. So, I was planning to connect everything over the Internet’s router.

But I guess buying a small HTPC, like this one:

1550007604877.png

And fixing it under the projector’s shelf might work for me as long as it has a decent amount of storage and can at least connect wireless to my other two laptops. I'll just reverse it. The problem is that one projector should be in the bedroom and another in the living room. I'll figure it out.

Last edited:
BMXTRIX

BMXTRIX

Audioholic Warlord
Yeah, I missed that link.

So, what BenQ offers is an embedded (maybe) wireless HDMI receiver and then you need a HDMI transmitter which connects to whatever source may be in use. This is similar to what I was discussing above. It's not a network-based solution, but a point-to-point HDMI solution. It can operate up to 1080p at 60fps, maybe. But, these units can also be buggy and any interference can cause them to fail. That includes walls and microwave ovens.

The page for this device (or similar) is here...
https://www.benq.com/en-us/projector/accessory/wireless-fhd-kit-wdp02.html

Reports on these devices follow that same pattern of being a huge question mark.

So, on the one side you have all that you want your sources to be able to do, and the other side is then connecting it to a projector wirelessly. I think that it MAY work, with a wireless HDMI adapter, but some work well, and others don't work at all. Those that work well, often do so only in limited conditions. I have a client that does use a wireless HDMI transmitter/receiver for his TV. He says when it works, it works well, but from time to time he has to reboot it to get it to work. The transmitter and receiver are in the same room without any walls between them.

As long as you know that it is a gamble for performance and reliability from the start, then you can move forward with that knowledge. Performance could be perfect, but having to reboot once a day may not be acceptable. Likewise, it may work perfectly, except for higher bandwidth content, then it starts dropping frames and blocking the image up. And, there's just no possible way to tell ahead of time what results you will get. Perfection... or something else.

In terms of media file playback, that's all about having a computer or media player which can play back files off the network quickly and reliably with good video decoding. The Android boxes are a common way to do that. Videos can be stored anywhere on the home network and can be retrieved through a wired or wireless connection. The main thing is that the network needs to be fast enough to support the data rate required for good video. I think I was using HD .MKV files in h.264 format, and it worked fine over my wireless connection. So, with a good network, you shouldn't have issues with wireless connectivity and the right player. It depends on what you want to play back. It is also good to go to a central network storage device, that way any files downloaded can be put there, instead of on a single PC. The media players can just access the files wherever you end up storing them and you can get multiple players for all of your displays as you want.

Since I'm just not at all aware of your familiarity with media player devices (not cloud based!), if you haven't done so yet, you may want to take a look at one of the most well reviewed models on the market here...
https://www.amazon.com/NVIDIA-Shield-Streaming-Media-Player/dp/B075RXV2VR/ref=sr_1_4?s=tv&ie=UTF8&qid=1550103152&sr=1-4&keywords=android+TV
Do some homework on the nVidia Shield as it seems to be very well reviewed and respected.

killdozzer

killdozzer

Audioholic Samurai
This is very informative. Thank you!

I only got a feeling I should tell you I never watch TV. I don't own one at all. I would do pretty much the same thing I'm doing now when I use projector like a monitor in a way. I go to, let's say popcorntime, I choose a HD file and watch it on a wall using a projector. The only thing I'm going for is to exclude the HDMI cable.

Anyway, you've answered most of my questions with a heap of info and details. I'm aware of the risk, but I'm willing to try. I believe it's worth the risk because this would ultimately be my home setup.

Of course, I would connect my PC to the router and other devices as well in a private network as I’m informed this is a faster connection then going directly unit to unit.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis