Choosing a center channel

R

RodHQ

Enthusiast
So what's the difference between speakers of the same line? I'm getting ready to buy my first center, I already have to Klipsch RP 600m so I figured I'd go for a center of the same line to timbre match...and there's 5
1634622855594.png

I know 4 drivers is good to tighten the center even more than with just 2, but other than size, I'm not sure what the difference is between all 4 drive speakers

Is the distance between the 2 fronts and the center relevant? If I were to go for the 504 for example, there's not going to be too much space between the 3 speakers

S

shadyJ

Speaker of the House
Staff member
So what's the difference between speakers of the same line? I'm getting ready to buy my first center, I already have to Klipsch RP 600m so I figured I'd go for a center of the same line to timbre match...and there's 5
View attachment 50910

I know 4 drivers is good to tighten the center even more than with just 2, but other than size, I'm not sure what the difference is between all 4 drive speakers

Is the distance between the 2 fronts and the center relevant? If I were to go for the 504 for example, there's not going to be too much space between the 3 speakers
The RP-600M has a serious crossover problem. I would just get another front left/right. The centers are probably not going to be stellar either. Having four woofers in an MTM center is not a good thing. It makes the off-axis lobing worse. At least Klispch had the sense in making it a 2.5-way center instead of a two-way center, meaning it will only be a little bit worse than a conventional 2-way MTM. I kind of want to measure one out of morbid curiosity. These MTMs compound problems already ingrained into Klipsch speakers.

R

RodHQ

Enthusiast
The RP-600M has a serious crossover problem. I would just get another front left/right. The centers are probably not going to be stellar either. Having four woofers in an MTM center is not a good thing. It makes the off-axis lobing worse. At least Klispch had the sense in making it a 2.5-way center instead of a two-way center, meaning it will only be a little bit worse than a conventional 2-way MTM. I kind of want to measure one out of morbid curiosity. These MTMs compound problems already ingrained into Klipsch speakers.
I was aware of Klipsch's reputation with mids, I've got to do with EQ though. I've been daily driving this pair for a few months now and I'm pretty happy with them so far

I live in Mexico so getting my hands on good equipment isn't the easiest, prices get pretty inflated by shipping fees. The only distributor I'm aware of near me has Bowers, Bose, and Klipsch

Teetertotter?

Teetertotter?

Senior Audioholic
I would think having 6 foot spread min, between the R and L mains, would be ideal for any DD movie surround sound. I never heard the RP-600M Crossover, being an issue, in any reviews, as @shadyJ mentioned. If you have an AVR, most have audio correction or capabilities, to adjust the sound stage.

I had the RP-400C, which is for a small to midsize room. Mid size room is consider a 20X15X8. This smaller speaker did okay in my room that is 10X18X8. I subsequently, replaced with a psb Imagine XC, which is bit more neutral/less harsh.

Last edited:

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis