Choose 2 subs for my new theater room! (Details inside)

pcosmic

pcosmic

Senior Audioholic
You could always put 2 or 4 subs in your ceiling. In ceiling speakers sound like ass, for instance. But, in the case of subwoofers, it should be fine.

S

shadyJ

Speaker of the House
Staff member
You could always put 2 or 4 subs in your ceiling. In ceiling speakers sound like ass, for instance. But, in the case of subwoofers, it should be fine.
I don't think there are any in-ceiling subs that can equal these box (or cylinder) subs at any price. The in-ceiling subs that could begin to approach the performance of these subs would be far more expensive, not to mention very cumbersome to install.

Landmonster

Landmonster

Audioholic
If all in-ceiling speakers are ass, what should I do for my atmos layer?

mazersteven

mazersteven

Audioholic Warlord
Ya come and listen to my ass system tell me if you can tell where the sound is coming from I guarantee you can't

pcosmic

pcosmic

Senior Audioholic
I had a 25ish ft vaulted ceiling in my previous setup and i made atmos work without ass in-ceiling speakers. It doesn't look like you have the kinda ceiling for a legit atmos setup.. In your case, it may be a better idea to go with quality over quantity in life man. Personally , i would stick with 5 'very good' speakers on the ground and switch over to DTS X/Neural X. Leave that Dolby in the dirt if you simply don't have the room size or ceiling height. DTS doesn't really care if you have ass speakers in the ceiling or not and offers more flexibility (more forgiving). Those DTS engineers are smarter and more considerate than the dudes at Dolby man ;)

Landmonster

Landmonster

Audioholic
That is something I hadn’t really gotten into. I’m not sure what to do with ceiling speakers in that room configuration, since the ceilings are angled

mazersteven

mazersteven

Audioholic Warlord
That is something I hadn’t really gotten into. I’m not sure what to do with ceiling speakers in that room configuration, since the ceilings are angled
There are inceilings w/ Pivoting Tweeters and Drivers to Aim at Listening Positions

Landmonster

Landmonster

Audioholic
So it seems like, for this room, I have essentially 2 or 3 options.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Option 1)
Place the tower speakers close to the side-walls, with the subs inside each tower speaker.
This creates a fairly large area on the back wall where I can mount a screen. This is a pretty traditional setup.

Option 2)
Place the subwoofers in the corners, close to the side-walls, with the tower speakers inside each sub. This configuration allows for the POTENTIAL for a 9.1 system, where I could still conceivably have front wides, and perhaps also get better bass response from the subs. The problem is... it creates a narrower gap in the middle of the wall where I could mount a screen. In this scenario, I'd probably just have to use a television upto 75".

Option 3)
Construct a false wall across the entire front of the room, with an acoustically transparent screen in front of the speakers and subs. This brings the room in from 20 feet deep, to around 17 feet deep. This could be fine, but may cause a problem due to the angular shape of the ceiling.

Do you guys have any thoughts?

Attachments

Last edited:

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis