Choose 2 subs for my new theater room! (Details inside)

mazersteven

mazersteven

Audioholic Warlord
Any of the Subs mentioned are going to be Awesome in that room.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
While I don't always think of them for subs even now, I'd definitely consider the Monolith subs if I were buying subs. If floor space is tight I think I like the PC SVS models suggested.

Timforhifi

Timforhifi

Full Audioholic
Hate to say it but in a room that narrow I’d build a false wall behind screen. Then put two subs and 3 matching towers behind screen. Rest of the speakers I’d do all in walls. Towers won’t sound any better for surrounds unless you play movies very loud. 10.5 by 20 or 10.5 by 17 really makes little difference. But hiding massive gear and getting a bigger screen will change everything.

Maybe we should ask that question, how loud do you play? Would you play subs over 115db or even up to 125db? If bass gets that loud you don’t want little in wall speakers that only hit 100db max and probably distorting.

I just bought dual monolith 12s for my sons room and damn they rock. If I had to compare them to another sub I’d say Hsu vtf3 mk5 but more deep bass. I’ve had Rythmik Fv15hp and it’s awesome. I’ve had Rythmik fv18pc and incredible. I’ve had jtr2400 and was nice but expected more for premium price. I’ve owned a bunch more too but now I use dual psa v1512df in my main room. Wanted to try something different and they sound great as well with a ton of max spl. Definitely better then hsu vtf15 but after hearing mono 12 I tempted to try mono 15. Very impressed and I think it’s the first 15” sub that beats the Rythmik Fv15hp. I’d skip svs completely unless warranty is important and you love the app. The pb4000 won’t match the mono 15 and the pb16 won’t match Rythmik fv18pc. So really no point. In every price point there’s a better option then svs.

Landmonster

Landmonster

Audioholic
Hi,

My typical listening levels be probably only around 70-80 DB, which is not very extreme by most standards. At times it would get to 80-100... but not for hours on end.

The main reason I like the SVS subs are for looks, I like the gloss black piano finish, it would match well in my theater room. I also like the fact that they have good cell phone apps, and good customer service.

However, once I get towards the PB-16 ultra, the price becomes the same as the entry-level JTR subs. Therefore, the question becomes "does the Captivator RS1 meet or exceed the PB-16 ultra's performance"?

I have a feeling that JTR would exceed the SVS performance.

I still need some kind of definitive reason to pick one brand over the other.

William Lemmerhirt

William Lemmerhirt

Audioholic Overlord
Well I can say if CS is part of the equation, SVS wins all day long. They do build the “bill of rights” and free shipping into the experience, but I’ve seen them send amps and drivers to customers that were well past warranty.
Imo, small room, not terribly loud listening levels. Try a pair of PC2K pros. If you have the money, the pc4k is where I’d go. Good news is you can try them for free.

mazersteven

mazersteven

Audioholic Warlord

As I said before any one of these subwoofers is going to blow that room away.
Would the JTR exceed the SVS. Even if it does are you going to really notice it in that room? Everybody gets tied up on measurements how much of it is truly noticeable when there is that much Headroom

Get the Sub you like

Truthslayer

Truthslayer

Full Audioholic
There doesn't seem to be much love in this thread for the Monolith sub line.

Correct me if I am mistaken in my line of thinking here:

If 2 of the Monolith 12s would have a great amount of output for a room of that size, and they have one of the lowest levels of distortion available, what would I be gaining by going to another sub?

• More headroom that is never utilized?
  • More tactile or pressurizing feel somehow?
  • Cleaner sounding output, despite having more THD+N?
  • Something else?
The monolith 10's go on sale every other week for $449 or less. When you buy 2 or more they are usually $429 each.
So you can get Four, for about $1800. That combo will be hard to beat.
I have two and they have far exceeded my expectations.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Hi,

My typical listening levels be probably only around 70-80 DB, which is not very extreme by most standards. At times it would get to 80-100... but not for hours on end.

The main reason I like the SVS subs are for looks, I like the gloss black piano finish, it would match well in my theater room. I also like the fact that they have good cell phone apps, and good customer service.

However, once I get towards the PB-16 ultra, the price becomes the same as the entry-level JTR subs. Therefore, the question becomes "does the Captivator RS1 meet or exceed the PB-16 ultra's performance"?

While they don't have those particular subs, you could generally compare a coupla SVS subs vs JTR at data-bass.com to perhaps get an idea of capability differences (using the sub comparison option in the measurements section)

Truthslayer

Truthslayer

Full Audioholic
Hi,

The Captivator RS1 and SVS PB16 are both very fine subs. However maybe you should try looking at it another way. How much are you willing to spend ?
SVS PB16 - after taxes $2700 (one sub )
Captivator RS1 - after taxes $3150 (one sub )
Monolith THX 10's - usual sale $449 (sometimes $399) when you buy multiples it's usual another $30 off each sub.
You shouldn't overlook the Monoliths that you were looking at. Just because they are 10's, don't let that cloud your judgement. You can get 4 yes 4 of them after tax for around $1800.
Like I said they literally go on sale every other week. Having 4 of those subs, one in each corner would do amazing things in that room.

I guess it really comes down to your budget. But i would take 4 over 1 any day, especially with how much you will save. Which can go towards another piece of gear. Good luck, let us know what you end up going with.

Timforhifi

Timforhifi

Full Audioholic
The Captivator RS1 and SVS PB16 are both very fine subs. However maybe you should try looking at it another way. How much are you willing to spend ?
SVS PB16 - after taxes $2700 (one sub )
Captivator RS1 - after taxes $3150 (one sub )
Monolith THX 10's - usual sale $449 (sometimes $399) when you buy multiples it's usual another $30 off each sub.
You shouldn't overlook the Monoliths that you were looking at. Just because they are 10's, don't let that cloud your judgement. You can get 4 yes 4 of them after tax for around $1800.
Like I said they literally go on sale every other week. Having 4 of those subs, one in each corner would do amazing things in that room.

I guess it really comes down to your budget. But i would take 4 over 1 any day, especially with how much you will save. Which can go towards another piece of gear. Good luck, let us know what you end up going with.
I agree completely! You could go with 4 monolith 12 too and that would be incredible in that room. Far better overall then one pb16 or one rs1. For your lower listening levels 2 monolith 12s is all you need. In room you’ll hit 110-120db from 16-100hz. Cost would be lower then one jtr and about the same as one pb16 for 4. It would far exceed your 80-100db. Getting monster spl subs for your need would be like getting a Lamborghini to pick the kids up from school. Just pointless. Svs would be a good option too for your needs but the mono 12 is just better to me then pb2000 or pro version. You’ll need pb4k or pb16 to start really being happy with your purchase. At that point you’re over paying in my opinion. I have owned a bunch of svs gear and they have great marketing. Really the first real sub most people own but never a sub people keep long.

Landmonster

Landmonster

Audioholic
Ok. I did not intend to get 1 sub, it was always 2

4 monolith 12s vs 2 JTR RS1?

Timforhifi

Timforhifi

Full Audioholic
4 mono 12s would be excellent. Would get usable output to 10-12hz in room. Super low distortion. In that room if I’d have to guess I’d say 4 mono 12s would hit 115-118db from 16-25hz. Then from 30-100hz you could hit 123-126db. Now this is when you’re really pushing these but still keeping lower distortion and not clipping. Oh also have to say the monolith subs never make bad noises. I’ve heard no port noise or chuffing. Pb16 we had was returned had port noise when overly pushed.

if you only do two the mono 15 would be great as well. If you want high performance plus good looks look at Rythmik Fv15hp in piano black. That would be a great performer and look great. Or a pair of g25 Rythmik in piano or 4 g22 in piano. A lot of great options out there. I won’t recommend psa if you are concerned about appearance. Psa tv18 ipal low tuned would be fun. Psa aren’t great looking but to me look just as good as the standard jtr finish.

Truthslayer

Truthslayer

Full Audioholic

I think we all knew you were getting two vs one. We were Just throwing out things to consider. The one sub comparison was thrown in to show you the price difference (value) of multiple Monoliths.

The Monolith's can get overlooked because it's just not a name people are used to thinking about when considering subs. I was guilty of it myself. I would not have considered them had i not been looking for my boy. But the deal i found was to good to pass up. I would have argued till the cows came in that no way these two 10's could do what they do and do it well.

It really comes down to what your going or willing to spend. Also having four subs will make every seat in that room very enjoyable. I would still take 4 subs, whether it be 10's or 12's over the two sub option. With the room gain you will get, i can't see you ever doing anything more than having those subs just idling along.

K

kini

Full Audioholic

2 S1s for sure. No matter what the numbers show having larger drivers is just different in a good way. Plus if you ever want more down the road having 4 subs with no resale value leaves you know where to go. If you can afford the JTRs then don't even think about bargain basement alternatives even if they're good for the price. They are the price that they are for a reason. ;)

Truthslayer

Truthslayer

Full Audioholic
2 S1s for sure. No matter what the numbers show having larger drivers is just different in a good way. Plus if you ever want more down the road having 4 subs with no resale value leaves you know where to go. If you can afford the JTRs then don't even think about bargain basement alternatives even if they're good for the price. They are the price that they are for a reason. ;)
No one here has mentioned any Bargain Basement Subs as you infer. All the subs listed in this thread will do more than what he has stated are his required listening habits are. We have just given options that wont cost him a small fortune.

S

shadyJ

Speaker of the House
Staff member
No matter what the numbers show having larger drivers is just different in a good way.
I have closely listened to lots of subs with lots of different driver diameters. I haven't heard any difference that a larger driver makes for the same SPL.

Kingnoob

Kingnoob

Audioholic Samurai
No one here has mentioned any Bargain Basement Subs as you infer. All the subs listed in this thread will do more than what he has stated are his required listening habits are. We have just given options that wont cost him a small fortune.
The Dayton looks cool but I wonder how you hook these to avrs ?

It’s still $600+ you gotta do everything yourself not sure we’re you as speaker inputs .
I may need one if my plate amp ever fails on my stereo integrity

Probably less hassle to buy something pre built
Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Timforhifi

Timforhifi

Full Audioholic
Jtr will actually have lower resale value compared to what you paid. It took me months to sell cap 2400 and 4000. Most people just hate the way they look or the size. It’s a huge specialty market to have massive expensive subs. For example it took me 6 months to sell dual fv18pc and I got $2400 for pair. Sold to separate people even. The cap 2400 I got $3000 for pair and again took 5-6 months to sell. So I lost $1300ish on Rythmik and over $2000 on jtr. I don’t even want to say what I had to sell cap4000 for. Now a little mono 10 or 12 will be worth 300-600 for years and I’d be surprised if you lost $500 on a pair after owning them for years.

I’d agree with James also, spl and data show quality, not driver size. Driver size does matter though and obviously is better but at cost. Dual cap4000ulf will destroy dual Rythmik Fv15hp but at a huge cost. Do you want to spend $5000 more for something you’ll never use? They are also hideous unless you can hide in a dark theater room.

Truthslayer

Truthslayer

Full Audioholic
Jtr will actually have lower resale value compared to what you paid. It took me months to sell cap 2400 and 4000. Most people just hate the way they look or the size. It’s a huge specialty market to have massive expensive subs. For example it took me 6 months to sell dual fv18pc and I got $2400 for pair. Sold to separate people even. The cap 2400 I got $3000 for pair and again took 5-6 months to sell. So I lost $1300ish on Rythmik and over $2000 on jtr. I don’t even want to say what I had to sell cap4000 for. Now a little mono 10 or 12 will be worth 300-600 for years and I’d be surprised if you lost $500 on a pair after owning them for years.

I’d agree with James also, spl and data show quality, not driver size. Driver size does matter though and obviously is better but at cost. Dual cap4000ulf will destroy dual Rythmik Fv15hp but at a huge cost. Do you want to spend $5000 more for something you’ll never use? They are also hideous unless you can hide in a dark theater room.
Very good points. Unless you got money to burn and are going to be listening at insane levels, it just doesn't seem logical to spend that amount of money when it's not necessary. If you go by the OP's post, he doesn't seem to listen to anything more than a modest level.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis