China now a Clear and Present Danger

highfigh

highfigh

Seriously, I have no life.
Except that domestic cats are descended were domesticated from the African wildcat, Felis silvestris lybica, not lions and tigers.
Does this mean that memes must be factual?

Sylvester the Cat disagrees.

M

Mr._Clark

Audioholic Samurai
Except that domestic cats are descended were domesticated from the African wildcat, Felis silvestris lybica, not lions and tigers.
I was thinking the same thing. I don't think domestic cats suffered the level of genetic humiliation (for lack of a better term) as wolves during the domestication process. On the other hand, yeah, it's just a meme.

Edit: If I'm going to get all picky about this I should post a link to the correct wild cat.

Last edited:
cpp

cpp

Audioholic Ninja
If the Chinese are trying to steal the secrets to making good beer, they should have picked a better target.
Got that right,

FYI: Other hack jobs :

After the water system was hacked in Florida in February, the Wisconsin Department of Natural Resources warned state water system officials to update their security.
In February 2020, the City of Racine was hacked causing email, voicemail and online payment systems for the city to be shut down.
That same month, some employees from Advocate Aurora received a memo saying their personal information, including Social Security numbers, bank accounts, birth dates and home address became vulnerable after an incident caused unauthorized and temporary access to the computer system.
In November 2019, Virtual Care Provider Inc., a Milwaukee-based company which provides technology services to more than 100 nursing homes around the country, had their data held hostage by Russian hackers. The hackers asked for $14 million which the company could not afford

One of these days, big cooperations and city work groups will take cyber security a little more serious and not think they are safe,
I would place bets on Russia or China, Turkey, Brazil or little Billy at home with his laptop, just playing.:)
Interesting article a while back on abc, Dec 2019, the top 7 countries on hacking are
7. Romania, (6) Brazil, (5) Taiwan, (4) Russia, (3) Turkey, (2) United States #1 China.

Last edited:
GO-NAD!

GO-NAD!

Audioholic Spartan
Got that right,

FYI: Other hack jobs :

After the water system was hacked in Florida in February, the Wisconsin Department of Natural Resources warned state water system officials to update their security.
In February 2020, the City of Racine was hacked causing email, voicemail and online payment systems for the city to be shut down.
That same month, some employees from Advocate Aurora received a memo saying their personal information, including Social Security numbers, bank accounts, birth dates and home address became vulnerable after an incident caused unauthorized and temporary access to the computer system.
In November 2019, Virtual Care Provider Inc., a Milwaukee-based company which provides technology services to more than 100 nursing homes around the country, had their data held hostage by Russian hackers. The hackers asked for $14 million which the company could not afford

One of these days, big cooperations and city work groups will take cyber security a little more serious and not think they are safe,
I would place bets on Russia or China, Iran, North Korea or little Billy at home with his laptop, just playing.:)
I think it's going to take a complete rethink of how to implement reliable cybersecurity. Relying on some poor shmuck working in hospital or utility administration to not open phishing emails isn't the answer.

highfigh

highfigh

If the Chinese are trying to steal the secrets to making good beer, they should have picked a better target.
The quality of the beer is immaterial- production has stopped and that's a problem. Also, breweries fill cans with fresh water to send it to areas where the water supply has been compromised by storms, earthquake, etc- this would be a bad time for a large-scale need for fresh water in small containers and plastic isn't as recyclable.

You would prefer it happens to LaBatt?

cpp

cpp

Audioholic Ninja
I think it's going to take a complete rethink of how to implement reliable cybersecurity. Relying on some poor shmuck working in hospital or utility administration to not open phishing emails isn't the answer.
For sure, some of these people just think using a over the counter firewall and virus software is protection.

Hell I think these car warranty calls are borderline harassment by some nutcase Cyber/phone Terrorist LOL, LOL , they drive me totally nuts.

Kvn_Walker

Kvn_Walker

Audioholic Field Marshall
The paradox of good IT has never changed... when it's doing its job the suits and beancounters can't see any need for it.

Smart corporations would never question their IT budget. It always costs more when the breach happens.

"Good" IT would block USB access for anything but a mouse and keyboard, block all internet access, and put all email attachments into a queue for approval.

But some upper management idiot invariably will cry bloody murder when they can't use Facebook or check their stock portfolio.

T

TankTop5

Audioholic General
Conspiracy crap here we go again. Coronavirus is found, viruses are found in bats. They are a perfect carrier of a virus like this.
It wasn't made in a lab and deliberately released.

Sent from my Pixel 4 XL using Tapatalk
Purposely released, doesn’t make sense. They were studying the virus in the Wuhon lab which has a terrible safety record and has inadvertently released other Corona viruses which is documented namely SARS.

T

TankTop5

Audioholic General
China and Russia, among other states, are very much cybersecurity threats, but there isn't much we can do to address that since we have a serious internal threat in the Republican party. They gave Russia a pass for all kinds of attacks in the last four years, in fact, they encouraged Russian attacks where it pertained to elections. Read about Donald Trump's reactions when he was told about Russian-based attacks on US assets. It's going to be difficult to fight foreign cybersecurity threats when half of this country's political apparatus is rooting for those attacks to succeed.
That’s flat out dumb! Political wrangling has zero to do with the US military combating cyber warfare. Your lack of understanding of how a military unit operates is evidenced by your statement. I’m not trying to insult you but you really have zero idea of what you’re talking about.

highfigh

highfigh

The paradox of good IT has never changed... when it's doing its job the suits and beancounters can't see any need for it.

Smart corporations would never question their IT budget. It always costs more when the breach happens.

"Good" IT would block USB access for anything but a mouse and keyboard, block all internet access, and put all email attachments into a queue for approval.

But some upper management idiot invariably will cry bloody murder when they can't use Facebook or check their stock portfolio.
Best practice- don't use USB and for keyboard/mouse, go back to the old connection, which wasn't useful for data. Dumb terminals are the only way to stop this.

Kvn_Walker

Kvn_Walker

Audioholic Field Marshall
Best practice- don't use USB and for keyboard/mouse, go back to the old connection, which wasn't useful for data. Dumb terminals are the only way to stop this.
I'm not even sure you can find a ps/2 peripheral that wasn't made 20 years ago.

My company did put in an IT policy a year or two ago that's really strict. USB device installs are automatically blocked, and IT is notified if an un known device is detected. Some intern tried to charge his phone with a USB cord to his desktop, and within minutes his supervisor got an email or call about a "potential security issue.". That was impressive. A lot of incoming attachments are now filtered out of emails too.

Give some, take some though... for reasons I can't imagine, Facebook was unblocked a few years ago.

GO-NAD!

GO-NAD!

Audioholic Spartan
The quality of the beer is immaterial- production has stopped and that's a problem. Also, breweries fill cans with fresh water to send it to areas where the water supply has been compromised by storms, earthquake, etc- this would be a bad time for a large-scale need for fresh water in small containers and plastic isn't as recyclable.

You would prefer it happens to LaBatt?
I guess my attempt at humour missed the mark.

And, I only drink craft beer now.

GO-NAD!

GO-NAD!

Audioholic Spartan

My company did put in an IT policy a year or two ago that's really strict. USB device installs are automatically blocked, and IT is notified if an un known device is detected. Some intern tried to charge his phone with a USB cord to his desktop, and within minutes his supervisor got an email or call about a "potential security issue.". That was impressive. A lot of incoming attachments are now filtered out of emails too.

Give some, take some though... for reasons I can't imagine, Facebook was unblocked a few years ago.
Same where I work, too. Our IT people recently sent out a "test" phishing email to test employees'. I won't mention the numbers of those who clicked on the "infected" link, but it was pretty bad.

highfigh

highfigh

I guess my attempt at humour missed the mark.

And, I only drink craft beer now.
I stopped drinking about ten years ago and never liked Miller, especially that crappy Miller Light. Never was a fan of Coors, either.

I don't like run of the mill brews- they leave a bad taste, literally. I worked with someone who started brewing beer with his brother when they were in high school- they now own a local brewery. Here's a list of their awards-

highfigh

highfigh

You want my old computer? I have the keyboard, mouse and a mic, too.

GO-NAD!

GO-NAD!

Audioholic Spartan
Michael Spavor's trial in China ends without a verdict | CBC News

Italics are mine:
The court hearing for Canadian citizen Michael Spavor, detained by China since late 2018 on suspicion of espionage, ended on Friday after around two hours with no verdict.

Spavor and his lawyer appeared for the hearing and the court will later set a date to issue a verdict, the Dandong Intermediate People's Court said in a statement on its website.

Chinese courts have a conviction rate of over 99 per cent
I can't say I'm surprised, but it's infuriating nevertheless.

highfigh

highfigh

And the US-China meeting in Alaska ended with bickering about human rights and trade.

Let's see how this shakes out......

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis