Cherry Audio Class D Amplifier Review with Measurements!

Matthew J Poes

Matthew J Poes

Audioholic Chief
Staff member
I use DEQ as well. I know a lot of people who know their stuff typically advise against using it, but I've always liked the way it makes the bass sound in my system. I also prefer the bass measurements I get with it when measuring in REW. My measurements look similar to yours: without DEQ the frequency response looks fairly flat. However, with DEQ it has that overall tilt in the bass, which I find sounds much better.
In theory DEQ is a good thing and makes sound better at any level below around 85-90dB. The problem is the impact on dynamics that it seems to sometimes have. And apparently the effect on surround levels.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
In theory DEQ is a good thing and makes sound better at any level below around 85-90dB. The problem is the impact on dynamics that it seems to sometimes have. And apparently the effect on surround levels.
Curious, have examples of particular music where the dynamics of DEQ compromise the recording (audibly)? What volume level to become noticeable? Did you measure the difference or more a subjective thing? FWIW I do use DEQ frequently, as I'm not listening much above 85dB typically but have always found it bows out well enough if I twist the volume knob towards reference, and I do tend to turn the level on surrounds down a bit.

M

MrBoat

Audioholic Ninja
$6k for what's in that box? The audio world has gone stark raving mad.

S

shadyJ

Speaker of the House
Staff member
Can you point us to an amp that has that kind of technical performance combined with that level of power for significantly less money?

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
$6K Cherry class D amp THD+N is 0.0056% (AH).

$2K ATI 522NC class D amp THD+N is 0.001% (ASR).

Not that we can hear any of these THD+N, but I wonder how these compare to the amp sections of the Denon and Yamaha AVR?

J

JStewart

Audioholic Intern
The amp is not a good value but certainly not stark raving mad.
This $3500 cable is stark raving mad

And theCherry Amp actually does something!

Can you point us to an amp that has that kind of technical performance combined with that level of power for significantly less money?
Would two of these be a fair comparison spec wise at about half the cost?

M

MrBoat

Audioholic Ninja
And this bit from the review.
"Cons
  • Needs pricey capacitor and transformer upgrade options to match other SOTA amps
  • Expensive"
Sorry but, Class D should not be this expensive, and pretty much anything designed at this point of available tech, should all measure pretty much 'audibly' perfect.

P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord
"Cons
  • Needs pricey capacitor and transformer upgrade options to match other SOTA amps
  • Expensive"
Sorry but, Class D should not be this expensive, and pretty much anything designed at this point of available tech, should all measure pretty much 'audibly' perfect.
Agreed, and thanks to Matthew for including measurements in the review so people can make their more informed decision.

For me, I cannot think of a single reason to buy this amp. If I want a comparable class D amp there are at least several choices I can think of, for much less money. The linear power supply is not a positive at all, especially if it appears to be a noisy one.

M

MrBoat

Audioholic Ninja
Agreed, and thanks to Matthew for including measurements in the review so people can make their more informed decision.

For me, I cannot think of a single reason to buy this amp. If I want a comparable class D amp there are at least several choices I can think of, for much less money. The linear power supply is not a positive at all, especially if it appears to be a noisy one.
Class D amplification has been rather exciting to watch and play with, and especially the efficiency/cost ratios that can't help but improve over time. But you can't sell a box that weighs only 4#, for $6k.

I dunno. I was hoping this technology was just too efficiently cheap to be high ended like this. I guess it just comes down to having to afford all the non-doers that have their hands in all the pies, these days.

3db

3db

Audioholic Slumlord

Agreed. $6K is a lot of money to spend for a problematic power supply.

P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord
Class D amplification has been rather exciting to watch and play with, and especially the efficiency/cost ratios that can't help but improve over time. But you can't sell a box that weighs only 4#, for $6k.

I dunno. I was hoping this technology was just too efficiently cheap to be high ended like this. I guess it just comes down to having to afford all the non-doers that have their hands in all the pies, these days.
I think some manufacturers figured out that they could sell anything if their hire marketing people who know what/how to write and price the products high enough to pre bias the right group of audiophiles/audioholics.:D

Out-Of-Phase

Out-Of-Phase

Audioholic General
"I could go on, but the most important way I can sum up what the Sigma NRv2 power cord does (particularly when it is used with a Denali v2) is to say that it sounds as if you are in the room with the musicians as they create the music in the moment. With the Sigma NR v2, my traditional perspectives on what a stereo system can reproduce has shifted away from a language that describes gear to a language and sensibility that describes music. Remarkable, truly remarkable."

Price: $3500

It would be far cheaper to be 'in a room with the musicians as they create the music in the moment'.

J

JStewart

Audioholic Intern
"I could go on, but the most important way I can sum up what the Sigma NRv2 power cord does (particularly when it is used with a Denali v2) is to say that it sounds as if you are in the room with the musicians as they create the music in the moment. With the Sigma NR v2, my traditional perspectives on what a stereo system can reproduce has shifted away from a language that describes gear to a language and sensibility that describes music. Remarkable, truly remarkable."

It would be far cheaper to be 'in a room with the musicians as they create the music in the moment'.
Right. That’s what a $3500 power cord does. It makes @PENG ’s point!

Bucknekked

Bucknekked

Audioholic Samurai

For $3500 I will come and play for you. Mind you, I will use the cheap power cord on my Fender amp and not a fancy one, but I assume you won't notice because you will be enthralled with the music.

Power cords : another example of "audio gone stark raving mad". For real.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
I think if people were gonna spend $6K on a stereo amp, they would probably buy a McIntosh for the pretty face or a Bryston for the 20-YEAR Warranty.

P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord
I hope I am still on topic, by using another example of how high price+smart marketing could work:

A USD 1,050 passive preamp:
The Truth Pre Amp Review | Audio Science Review (ASR) Forum

Got a good laugh that the RCAs were labelled with a Sharpie, made me wonder if Amir was the one who labelled them just so he wouldn't make a mistake when testing it.:D

1622908949555.png

Again, you made it, someone will buy it, even if the inside looks like this ([Listening test] The Truth Pre Amp (tnt-audio.com) :

Even my first DIY looks better. Truly incredible!!

1622909487282.png

}Fear_Inoculum{

}Fear_Inoculum{

Senior Audioholic
6k is a pretty penny to spend on any piece of audio equipment for the average person. Much less an amp. Much less an amp with a problematic power supply.

I mean, I'm really a rookie at this. But even I can see that this isn't close to being "worth" what it's selling for.

This is for people with f#$^ you money, that just go in and spend because they were told to buy it (IMO).

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
"Cons
  • Expensive"
So.....upgrading to the pricey capacitors and transformers ($7,500 Stereo Amp) will reduce the THD+N from about 0.006% down to 0.001%? :D

Last edited:

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis