Cherry Audio Class D Amplifier Review with Measurements!

gene

gene

Audioholics Master Chief
Administrator
If you're looking for energy efficient, high resolution amplification, check out our review of the Cherry Audio MEGAschino Mk2 Standard Edition Class D Amplifier. This $6k state-of-the-art amplifier has an extremely high signal-to-noise ratio and ultra low distortion and high power output (>400wpc, 8 ohms).

The MEGAschino is the top of the line series that uses a Proprietary Class D amplifier with a novel feedback design. Among many of its highlights, it can output 1,000 watts into 4 ohms and 2,000 watts into 2 ohms and is 95% efficient at full power. It has a signal-to-Noise Ratio of 120dB relative to full power and distortion as low as .001%. It has a linear power supply with a large 750-watt toroidal transformer in the standard version and a 1500-watt power supply in the ‘King’ version.

cherry.jpg

There are many more expensive audiophile amplifiers out there that do not have the power output specs of the MEGAschino, so what separates it from the others? Read on to find out.

Read: Cherry Audio MEGAschino MK2 Amplifier Review

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Nice to see one of Tommy's amps reviewed here, thanks

B

buckchester

Junior Audioholic
Matthew,

Now this is how an amplifier review should read! Very objective, which is something that is all too often missing from reviews of this sort.

I’ve enjoyed reading your reviews and watching your videos on the past. You sure seem to know your stuff. You are always very objective and offer technical reasons for things, which is great. What is your educational background?

I have a question for you. How does one know if their amplifier is reaching its limits without doing an A/B test like you’ve done?

I bought a pair of Revel F208 speakers last year. I power them with a 100w per channel AVR and high pass them to a pair of subs at 80hz. It sounds great to my ears. I typically don’t listen much louder than -15 on the AVR’s volume dial and this can give me peaks in excess of 100db, depending o the material. However, everyone always says these speakers should be paired with a more powerful amp. Is there any way to know if I am reaching the AVR’s limits?

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
Matthew,

Now this is how an amplifier review should read! Very objective, which is something that is all too often missing from reviews of this sort.

I’ve enjoyed reading your reviews and watching your videos on the past. You sure seem to know your stuff. You are always very objective and offer technical reasons for things, which is great. What is your educational background?

I have a question for you. How does one know if their amplifier is reaching its limits without doing an A/B test like you’ve done?

I bought a pair of Revel F208 speakers last year. I power them with a 100w per channel AVR and high pass them to a pair of subs at 80hz. It sounds great to my ears. I typically don’t listen much louder than -15 on the AVR’s volume dial and this can give me peaks in excess of 100db, depending o the material. However, everyone always says these speakers should be paired with a more powerful amp. Is there any way to know if I am reaching the AVR’s limits?
How far do you sit from your speakers and how loud do you like it? Your speakers' sensitivity is 88.5 dB. How do you know you're exceeding 100 db with the dial set at -15? Did you measure with a spl meter? Did you run any type of calibration or room correction? 100 db peaks with that volume setting seems unlikely, but that does depend somewhat on source material. In general I can't hit 100 db peaks until my volume is all the way up to reference (0).

This spl calculator is a pretty neat tool to give you an idea of power needs, tho not necessarily accurate for all speakers. It's does a decent job of ballparking it tho. Punch in 100 watts, then double it to 200 watts and look at what's gained. You have to double your power for every 3 dB increase in volume.

B

buckchester

Junior Audioholic
How far do you sit from your speakers and how loud do you like it? Your speakers' sensitivity is 88.5 dB. How do you know you're exceeding 100 db with the dial set at -15? Did you measure with a spl meter? Did you run any type of calibration or room correction? 100 db peaks with that volume setting seems unlikely, but that does depend somewhat on source material. In general I can't hit 100 db peaks until my volume is all the way up to reference (0).

This spl calculator is a pretty neat tool to give you an idea of power needs, tho not necessarily accurate for all speakers. It's does a decent job of ballparking it tho. Punch in 100 watts, then double it to 200 watts and look at what's gained. You have to double your power for every 3 dB increase in volume.

I've measured the volume with REW and a UMIK-1. I've also used an app on my iphone called DecibelX, which seems to give very similar measurements.

Yes I use room correction (Audyssey) on the subs. Not on the speakers. I do EQ the speakers with a MiniDSP NanoAVR up to the room transition frequency. I think I set it to limit any boosts to about 2db. I believe my AVR bumps my speakers up about 2bd as well.

I've used that SPL calculator, along with others. The info I get seems to suggest that I am around the cusp of needing more power. Those things also don't take into account if you high pass your speakers with subs. Based on measurements, it seems to be the hardest part of the load is below 80hz with my particular speakers.

I don't actually know if I am reaching my AVR's limits. If I am, it doesn't sound bad to me. Without going through the trouble of spending a ton of money on a new amp to see if I notice any difference, I am curious to know if there is any other way to know more precisely if I am ever reaching my AVR's limits.

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
I've measured the volume with REW and a UMIK-1. I've also used an app on my iphone called DecibelX, which seems to give very similar measurements.

Yes I use room correction (Audyssey) on the subs. Not on the speakers. I do EQ the speakers with a MiniDSP NanoAVR up to the room transition frequency. I think I set it to limit any boosts to about 2db. I believe my AVR bumps my speakers up about 2bd as well.

I've used that SPL calculator, along with others. The info I get seems to suggest that I am around the cusp of needing more power. Those things also don't take into account if you high pass your speakers with subs. Based on measurements, it seems to be the hardest part of the load is below 80hz with my particular speakers.

I don't actually know if I am reaching my AVR's limits. If I am, it doesn't sound bad to me. Without going through the trouble of spending a ton of money on a new amp to see if I notice any difference, I am curious to know if there is any other way to know more precisely if I am ever reaching my AVR's limits.
I doubt you are hitting limits. I'm in the same boat. Don't really need it, but more wanted it. I didn't notice any audible differences, but my avr does run cooler. I've done some measuring as well, and when my volume is -15 the average volume for music is ~85 dB with 5 or 10 dB peaks, depending on the source. I've never exceeded 100 db below the 0 setting on my avr. I know that Audyssey does try to calibrate for 85 dB at 0 with room for 20 dB peaks. It sounds like you're running a little hot of you're exceeding 100 dB peaks at -15 as a rule and it's not just certain sources.

Matthew J Poes

Matthew J Poes

Audioholic Chief
Staff member
Matthew,

To be honest, it can be hard to tell. It is not uncommon for people to conflate distortion with "too loud." One of the things people often note when they hear a system capable of much higher output limits is that suddenly they listen louder and it doesn't sound as loud. We often interpret sound that is distorting and compressing as being too loud.

There is a training factor too. If you listen to clipping amplifiers enough, you get a sense of what that sounds like. James and I have had a few situations where we ran sweeps at different levels and noted that we where hearing clipping, and then had the background realization that this also comes from experience. That to even notice this won't be obvious to everyone. That doesn't mean it isn't audible or objectionable, it just means that you might not recognize what it is you are hearing.

I've clipped receivers that measurably produce over 120 watts RMS into 8 ohms into my Geddes speakers. I was using the center channel and surround channel amplifiers in the receiver while using an outboard amp for the L-R speakers. I run the Geddes speakers full range, so do keep that in mind, that matters. I watched a bunch of movies and heard a distinct change in the sound, a kind of edginess or hardness as certain loud effects panned across the screen. I had a tweeter diaphragm move out of the gap once causing a similar effect, so I had worried it was either that or a blown tweeter (mind you, I couldn't figure out how I could have blown a pro audio compression driver). I asked a friend with more experience than I have blowing up compression drivers and he assured me it would be next to impossible to have blown the tweeter, and suggested it might be clipping. I thought that should be impossible, these are very sensitive speakers afterall. I decided to try a simple test, highpass just the center at 80hz, and rewatch the same sequence. Sure enough, the problem went away. A more objective test that followed was to run sweeps on the speaker at the same volume level with the same settings. Sure enough, amplifier clipping was evident in the distortion measurements, as was compression of the output. Adding the 80hz highpass filter added back some headroom. Since that situation (likely a decade ago) I have since noticed that same phenomena with many speakers connected to receivers or amps of lower power.

I've shared this view with a number of other enthusiasts and experts who have shared back similar thoughts and experiences. When I shared this experience with Martijn from Dutch & Dutch, he responded that amplifier clipping is far more common than people realize and he had to size his amplifiers accordingly. There have been some "studies" by engineers who developed clipping boxes who then claimed that clipping was exceedingly rare, but I would note that a) We don't know how quickly those devices could measure clipping and we don't know if any other measures of clipping or distortion were being captured such as the test I did, b) It is possible the type of content used was simply unlikely to stress the amp or that the levels played back were not the same levels I am talking about here.
This one was better, but only music was used. I'd love to see this device used with movies, I would guess that with the right amplifier, we might see that peak power double.

With average speakers of typical sensitivity (say 87dB to 90dB) you need amps with roughly 300-500 watts to be able to achieve reference levels. It honestly blows my mind that more people don't notice clipping issues and my honest opinion is that this is because they don't know what to look for, and they probably are clipping their amps more often than they realize.

As for my academic background, I've noted it a few times actually, and most people are shocked to hear this. I have degrees in human development, psychology, and statistics. Before heading in that direction, I had this dream of going into robotics, so my first year of college was in electrical and computer engineering at Rochester Institute of Technology. While working on a PhD at Purdue University, I had finished my coursework and needed to maintain a 12 credit hour course load outside of just research, so I was offered the option to take additional courses in anything else I want. I am sure the idea should have been something more relevant to human development, but there were no other courses available that I could take (It is not uncommon for PhD courses to be limited to just 10-15 students), so I chose acoustical physics. They had a lab doing research on human perception, and my background gave me expertise in studying human perception, which their physicists didn't have. As such, I worked on some projects in that lab and took a number of acoustical physics courses at the Masters and PhD level, though not for credit. Earl Geddes had been like a mentor to me at that time and had encouraged me to consider doing that. That gave me a lot of course background knowledge and some hands on experience. I then earned additional real world experience starting around 10 years ago when I began working with some experts I knew who needed help in either testing products (like A/T projector screens) or designing and setting up rooms (I did a few hotels and conference spaces, a broken down recording studio, and eventually residential spaces, which is what I now do on my own).

Matthew J Poes

Matthew J Poes

Audioholic Chief
Staff member
I doubt you are hitting limits. I'm in the same boat. Don't really need it, but more wanted it. I didn't notice any audible differences, but my avr does run cooler. I've done some measuring as well, and when my volume is -15 the average volume for music is ~85 dB with 5 or 10 dB peaks, depending on the source. I've never exceeded 100 db below the 0 setting on my avr. I know that Audyssey does try to calibrate for 85 dB at 0 with room for 20 dB peaks. It sounds like you're running a little hot of you're exceeding 100 dB peaks at -15 as a rule and it's not just certain sources.
Out of curiosity, which Audyssey settings/modes do you use? Do you turn on Dynamic EQ or Dynamic Volume? As you probably know, Dynamic Volume is straight up compression, so it will dramatically reduce this issue. However, I kept turning on Dynamic EQ (which was a loudness compensation system) and disliking the dynamics. I eventually measured what it was doing and found it too adds compression. With very "loud" music, it isn't noticed, but with more dynamic music, it is (and again, would reduce the likelihood you are going to clip your receiver).

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
Out of curiosity, which Audyssey settings/modes do you use? Do you turn on Dynamic EQ or Dynamic Volume? As you probably know, Dynamic Volume is straight up compression, so it will dramatically reduce this issue. However, I kept turning on Dynamic EQ (which was a loudness compensation system) and disliking the dynamics. I eventually measured what it was doing and found it too adds compression. With very "loud" music, it isn't noticed, but with more dynamic music, it is (and again, would reduce the likelihood you are going to clip your receiver).
I never use dynamic volume, but do turn on DEQ, RLO 10. When I calibrate my subs (HSU VTF-3 MK5s) I use EQ 1, one port plugged, or "deepest extension mode" and go for as flat as possible, then use my subs' onboard tuning (pull the port plug and switch to EQ 2) and DEQ for the house curve. I did do a bunch of sweeps to illustrate.

06-22-20 final fr.jpg

06-22-20 DEQ RLO EQ1.jpg
06-22-20 DEQ RLO EQ2.jpg
06-22-20 house curve.jpg

M

Movie2099

Audioholic General
Is this a "Gotta Have It!" item?? haha!

I was looking into getting the MEGAschino's to pair with a full JTR setup!

It's down to Cherry or ATI class D. Nice head to head battle.

B

buckchester

Junior Audioholic

I've used that SPL calculator, along with others. The info I get seems to suggest that I am around the cusp of needing more power. However, I don't actually know if I am reaching my AVR's limits. If I am, it doesn't sound bad to me. Without going through the trouble of spending a ton of money on a new amp to see if I notice any difference, I am curious to know if there is any other way to know more precisely if I am ever reaching my AVR's limits.
Ya I've often thought if I'm only at -15 on the volume, wouldn't it be unlikely that I would be coming close to my AVR's limits?

At -15 I'd say my volume is around 90db most times with peaks in the 95db range. This is with music. WIth movies I get much louder peaks. But I believe that has a lot to do with the LFE track in movies. The loudest peaks I measure seem to be when there is a lot of bass and these can definitely exceed 100db at -15.

J

JStewart

Audioholic Intern
Very fair take on all aspects of the review.

Value seems to be the biggest drawback with this amp. It would be hard to choose it over something Hypex NC1200 based that can be found for near 1/2 the price.

B

buckchester

Junior Audioholic
To be honest, it can be hard to tell. It is not uncommon for people to conflate distortion with "too loud." One of the things people often note when they hear a system capable of much higher output limits is that suddenly they listen louder and it doesn't sound as loud. We often interpret sound that is distorting and compressing as being too loud.

There is a training factor too. If you listen to clipping amplifiers enough, you get a sense of what that sounds like. James and I have had a few situations where we ran sweeps at different levels and noted that we where hearing clipping, and then had the background realization that this also comes from experience. That to even notice this won't be obvious to everyone. That doesn't mean it isn't audible or objectionable, it just means that you might not recognize what it is you are hearing.

I've clipped receivers that measurably produce over 120 watts RMS into 8 ohms into my Geddes speakers. I was using the center channel and surround channel amplifiers in the receiver while using an outboard amp for the L-R speakers. I run the Geddes speakers full range, so do keep that in mind, that matters. I watched a bunch of movies and heard a distinct change in the sound, a kind of edginess or hardness as certain loud effects panned across the screen. I had a tweeter diaphragm move out of the gap once causing a similar effect, so I had worried it was either that or a blown tweeter (mind you, I couldn't figure out how I could have blown a pro audio compression driver). I asked a friend with more experience than I have blowing up compression drivers and he assured me it would be next to impossible to have blown the tweeter, and suggested it might be clipping. I thought that should be impossible, these are very sensitive speakers afterall. I decided to try a simple test, highpass just the center at 80hz, and rewatch the same sequence. Sure enough, the problem went away. A more objective test that followed was to run sweeps on the speaker at the same volume level with the same settings. Sure enough, amplifier clipping was evident in the distortion measurements, as was compression of the output. Adding the 80hz highpass filter added back some headroom. Since that situation (likely a decade ago) I have since noticed that same phenomena with many speakers connected to receivers or amps of lower power.

I've shared this view with a number of other enthusiasts and experts who have shared back similar thoughts and experiences. When I shared this experience with Martijn from Dutch & Dutch, he responded that amplifier clipping is far more common than people realize and he had to size his amplifiers accordingly. There have been some "studies" by engineers who developed clipping boxes who then claimed that clipping was exceedingly rare, but I would note that a) We don't know how quickly those devices could measure clipping and we don't know if any other measures of clipping or distortion were being captured such as the test I did, b) It is possible the type of content used was simply unlikely to stress the amp or that the levels played back were not the same levels I am talking about here.
This one was better, but only music was used. I'd love to see this device used with movies, I would guess that with the right amplifier, we might see that peak power double.

With average speakers of typical sensitivity (say 87dB to 90dB) you need amps with roughly 300-500 watts to be able to achieve reference levels. It honestly blows my mind that more people don't notice clipping issues and my honest opinion is that this is because they don't know what to look for, and they probably are clipping their amps more often than they realize.

As for my academic background, I've noted it a few times actually, and most people are shocked to hear this. I have degrees in human development, psychology, and statistics. Before heading in that direction, I had this dream of going into robotics, so my first year of college was in electrical and computer engineering at Rochester Institute of Technology. While working on a PhD at Purdue University, I had finished my coursework and needed to maintain a 12 credit hour course load outside of just research, so I was offered the option to take additional courses in anything else I want. I am sure the idea should have been something more relevant to human development, but there were no other courses available that I could take (It is not uncommon for PhD courses to be limited to just 10-15 students), so I chose acoustical physics. They had a lab doing research on human perception, and my background gave me expertise in studying human perception, which their physicists didn't have. As such, I worked on some projects in that lab and took a number of acoustical physics courses at the Masters and PhD level, though not for credit. Earl Geddes had been like a mentor to me at that time and had encouraged me to consider doing that. That gave me a lot of course background knowledge and some hands on experience. I then earned additional real world experience starting around 10 years ago when I began working with some experts I knew who needed help in either testing products (like A/T projector screens) or designing and setting up rooms (I did a few hotels and conference spaces, a broken down recording studio, and eventually residential spaces, which is what I now do on my own).
Thanks for this very detailed reply. This is great information.

One more question off the top of my head is you mention 300-500 watts for reference levels. Would this be for a system where the speakers are not not high passed to subs? If so, any idea how these figures might be adjusted for such a system with subs?

B

buckchester

Junior Audioholic
I never use dynamic volume, but do turn on DEQ, RLO 10. When I calibrate my subs (HSU VTF-3 MK5s) I use EQ 1, one port plugged, or "deepest extension mode" and go for as flat as possible, then use my subs' onboard tuning (pull the port plug and switch to EQ 2) and DEQ for the house curve. I did do a bunch of sweeps to illustrate.

View attachment 48288
View attachment 48286View attachment 48287View attachment 48289
I use DEQ as well. I know a lot of people who know their stuff typically advise against using it, but I've always liked the way it makes the bass sound in my system. I also prefer the bass measurements I get with it when measuring in REW. My measurements look similar to yours: without DEQ the frequency response looks fairly flat. However, with DEQ it has that overall tilt in the bass, which I find sounds much better.

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
Ya I've often thought if I'm only at -15 on the volume, wouldn't it be unlikely that I would be coming close to my AVR's limits?

At -15 I'd say my volume is around 90db most times with peaks in the 95db range. This is with music. WIth movies I get much louder peaks. But I believe that has a lot to do with the LFE track in movies. The loudest peaks I measure seem to be when there is a lot of bass and these can definitely exceed 100db at -15.
Yeah, I'd guess for most of your listening your avr is sufficient, but if you are really concerned about reference peaks of 105 dB I don't think an amp would be a silly purchase for you. Like I said, I got one and don't think it's really necessary per se, but it's nice knowing I have it on tap and on the rare occasions where I really let 'r rip I know I don't have to worry too much about clipping.

Trell

Trell

Audioholic Spartan
I use DEQ as well. I know a lot of people who know their stuff typically advise against using it, but I've always liked the way it makes the bass sound in my system. I also prefer the bass measurements I get with it when measuring in REW. My measurements look similar to yours: without DEQ the frequency response looks fairly flat. However, with DEQ it has that overall tilt in the bass, which I find sounds much better.
I too like DEQ and I'm unsure why Dirac has not implemented something similar. With DEQ I don't like that it also increases the volume of the surrounds which in my room is too much and can make the front stage collapse on some material. I think it would be nice if Audyssey added a level offset for surround similar to reference level offset.

Eppie

Eppie

Audioholic Ninja

How well is the average person able to perceive detail at reference volumes? I'm curious because I find that nearing reference volumes it is not so much the system that has limits but my hearing. Above certain levels I find that the sound begins to break up or distort in my ears, not at the speakers. At live venues I've been wearing musician ear plugs for years as the music is so loud it distorts my hearing and ear plugs clean it up. Finally got my Umik-1 today so I'll be able to get some measurements in my room and see at what levels this occurs. Could also be an effect from years of live concerts in my 20s so I may not be able to handle the high SPL as well as others. Sucks getting old. :D

Trell

Trell

Audioholic Spartan
How well is the average person able to perceive detail at reference volumes? I'm curious because I find that nearing reference volumes it is not so much the system that has limits but my hearing. Above certain levels I find that the sound begins to break up or distort in my ears, not at the speakers. At live venues I've been wearing musician ear plugs for years as the music is so loud it distorts my hearing and ear plugs clean it up. Finally got my Umik-1 today so I'll be able to get some measurements in my room and see at what levels this occurs. Could also be an effect from years of live concerts in my 20s so I may not be able to handle the high SPL as well as others. Sucks getting old. :D
When you are young you have excellent hearing but no money, and when old you have money but bad hearing :D

}Fear_Inoculum{

}Fear_Inoculum{

Senior Audioholic
When you are young you have excellent hearing but no money, and when old you have money but bad hearing :D
My hearing is still excellent, especially for someone who loves listening to loud music, has seen ~300+ live bands, and has worked in construction for most of his adult life (I'm 48 now).

20210604_120706.jpg

Hearing test from Nov. 2020

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis