Cheap closed-screw banana plugs at Monoprice

sawzalot

sawzalot

Audioholic Samurai
Just grabbed ten myself, great price for this item, Thanks for the heads up, sawz..:)

adk highlander

adk highlander

Sith Lord
Figures I just did an order earlier in the week and did not buy them and got some off ebay and could have gotten these cheaper. Oh well it was only 8 bucks more.:rolleyes:

strube

strube

Audioholic Field Marshall
Figures I just did an order earlier in the week and did not buy them and got some off ebay and could have gotten these cheaper. Oh well it was only 8 bucks more.:rolleyes:
Yeah, that is pretty much how it goes, isn't it? I ordered a bunch of HDMI cables from them a while ago for a family member and the next day they were the "today's deal." :rolleyes:

Adam

Adam

Audioholic Jedi
Sweet! Thanks, Strube!

I've been checking pretty much every day for you since you mentioned that you wanted some (in case you were busy with the thesis and didn't check), but you are on top of it. I might get some for my buddy who just got a new receiver and speakers. I appreciate the heads up!

ParadigmDawg

ParadigmDawg

Audioholic Overlord
I don't need any Bananas but that is inexpensive so I better get some.

I have some giant blue and clear bi-wire cable that the Monkey gave me. I guess I can build a set of emergency speaker cables.

J

jostenmeat

Audioholic Spartan
The deal of the next few days is the closed-screw type banana plugs I have been waiting for. I ordered the maximum. :D

http://www.monoprice.com/products/product.asp?c_id=104&cp_id=10401&cs_id=1040115&p_id=2801&seq=1&format=2
Thanks for spending my money. I ordered the max too, and I think I'll split em up, and give two sets of gifts. I added an HDMI cable for the hell of it (hey I'm already paying shipping).

gratuitous random thought:

I recently realized that I've finally rid myself of all Monster products, except for the power units. I just looked at an APC unit at Amazon for $150, 3 left, but there is one complaint about the annoying clicking when it regulates voltage. I wonder if AHers have had issue. Voltage is pretty regular here, varies by 1 to 2 max it seems. If I did buy it, I'd give away one Monster unit as a gift... and I'd have just one thing with Monster written on it left . . .

strube

strube

Sweet! Thanks, Strube!

I've been checking pretty much every day for you since you mentioned that you wanted some (in case you were busy with the thesis and didn't check), but you are on top of it. I might get some for my buddy who just got a new receiver and speakers. I appreciate the heads up!
Certainly. You know, I should be busy on my thesis...well, I have been doing good (12-14 hours a day including weekends isn't too bad) so I thought I could slack off a little today. :)

I don't need any Bananas but that is inexpensive so I better get some.

I have some giant blue and clear bi-wire cable that the Monkey gave me. I guess I can build a set of emergency speaker cables.
You can never have too many banana plugs, especially at less than a buck each... :)

Thanks for spending my money. I ordered the max too, and I think I'll split em up, and give two sets of gifts. I added an HDMI cable for the hell of it (hey I'm already paying shipping).
That's what they keep me around for, right? :D

I figured similar things. I will probably throw 5 pairs in my dad's stocking for Christmas. I am sure his theater won't be done by then (...cough...stupid thesis...cough...). :) I got to thinking after ordering it that I had wanted to buy a better stand for my monitor that can do height adjustments, but I spaced it - oh well. I should probably wait until the stand is on the deal of the day anyway.

I recently realized that I've finally rid myself of all Monster products, except for the power units. I just looked at an APC unit at Amazon for $150, 3 left, but there is one complaint about the annoying clicking when it regulates voltage. I wonder if AHers have had issue. Voltage is pretty regular here, varies by 1 to 2 max it seems. If I did buy it, I'd give away one Monster unit as a gift... and I'd have just one thing with Monster written on it left . . .
That is an honorable quest. I have an APC something-or-other that I bought on clearance from the AH store (H10, I believe - maybe H15...). I have pretty clean, constant power and mine is silent so I can't really say how it works with dirty power, but I have heard that APC has pretty good warranty/customer service if you have any problems.

Last edited:
sawzalot

sawzalot

Audioholic Samurai

I have the APC 15 and have never experienced any clicking or any other noise so to speak. I do wonder about one thing though I have very acute tinnutis and the ringing is pretty intense, had it for 9 plus years and I once read , maybe hear, that the APC adds to this horrible problem, now I have disconnected the unit for two weeks at a time and have noticed some relief and then hooked everything back up and wham the tea kettle starts to boil again , in my ears. Is this really happening or what, I think I will remove it again and see if I get some relief and if I do I will never hook this unit up again it will be e-bayed or something but it will not have a home here. :(

Do you have a Monster unit that could take the place of my APC maybe we could make a swap, let me know what you think. sawz..

The thread was here:http://forums.audioholics.com/forums/showthread.php?t=54837&highlight=tinnitus
Can it be or am I paranoid? How can this be measured to know for sure I hate the damn ringing.

Last edited:
J

jostenmeat

Audioholic Spartan
Thanks much for the offer sawz. I appreciate your honest description about the paranoia regarding the unit, and I have to admit I am a little apprehensive about it. The unit I would first get rid of is for stereo only, where the lowest noise floor is desired (over 95% classical music is played on it). I'll mull it over, but I am afraid I am going to decline. I'll let you know, thanks for the heads up.

njedpx3

njedpx3

Audioholic General
closed screw

I have bought these from Monoprice before and they are good banana plugs, but not the best IMHO.

Closed screw ...does not mean a set screw or double set screw which I like the best.

You feed the wire up through a center hole and have some wire past the end. The you screw down the banana end plug. If you get too much wire, you cannot screw down. If you get too little, the plug is not really physically secure and can pull loose.

Again I like set screw tightening the best and double set screw is even better.

These cost more from Unique Products Online, 6 pair for $42. http://www.uniqueproductsonline.com/lobapl12pa6p.html They have 2 set screw and form a very tigth secure connection.

Just my two cents worth --I also have the monoprice ( in fact I have a lot of extra :rolleyes: )

Good Luck!

Forest Man

Adam

Adam

Audioholic Jedi
Those do look nice, Forest Man. You have me thinking about it. I own eight pairs of the Monoprice closed-screw design. I think that they are extremely well made for 50 cents/each. I got the same impression about getting the wire to fit and be tight as you mentioned.

Does anyone have any tricks to using the Monoprice plugs outside of trial-and-error to get the right size of wire bundle inside? Thanks.

strube

strube

Those do look nice, Forest Man. You have me thinking about it. I own eight pairs of the Monoprice closed-screw design. I think that they are extremely well made for 50 cents/each. I got the same impression about getting the wire to fit and be tight as you mentioned.

Does anyone have any tricks to using the Monoprice plugs outside of trial-and-error to get the right size of wire bundle inside? Thanks.
I put about 3/16" through and then feather it around the edge, then screw them together. On a few of them I have blobbed a little solder down the center, but I have really never had problems with getting it to work or having loose wires, even without solder. :confused:

It might be because I use 12awg wire most of the time though...

MidnightSensi

MidnightSensi

Audioholic Samurai

If you buy a voltage regulator, it will make some slight clicking sounds. I can hear mine when its quiet, but just a bit. It's just the nature of a variable transformer. They work kind of like a solenoid, so when they "re-tap" there is a physical connection and you can hear it because its a beefy part.

If you buy a power conditioner, it probably won't make any noise.

I use a Monster Power AVS2000 voltage regulator. I'm not a fan of Monster either, but, I bought it right and it works well. My voltage varies from -2 to +9 throughout the day, so voltage regulation is pretty important.

Also, just FYI, another way to have voltage regulation is by using a battery backup unit. I do this for my computers. The wall charges the battery, which outputs to the outlets. So the output is 120, even if the input is different. This can also work for smaller home theaters, but if you have huges amps then it starts to make more sense to get a voltage regulator because of the current draw.

J

jostenmeat

Audioholic Spartan
Closed screw ...does not mean a set screw or double set screw which I like the best.

You feed the wire up through a center hole and have some wire past the end. The you screw down the banana end plug. If you get too much wire, you cannot screw down. If you get too little, the plug is not really physically secure and can pull loose.

Again I like set screw tightening the best and double set screw is even better.

These cost more from Unique Products Online, 6 pair for $42. http://www.uniqueproductsonline.com/lobapl12pa6p.html They have 2 set screw and form a very tigth secure connection.
Thanks for the comparative review. I use those Unique plugs, but as they are my first, I have nothing to compare them to. They work fine though. I read about them first in a thread here (started by a member who suffered Mike C's Ban Button Pro).

njedpx3

njedpx3

Audioholic General
I put about 3/16" through and then feather it around the edge, then screw them together. On a few of them I have blobbed a little solder down the center, but I have really never had problems with getting it to work or having loose wires, even without solder. :confused:

It might be because I use 12awg wire most of the time though...

Strube has hit the nail on the head. GREAT ADVICE on how to connect ;)

Forest Man !

P.S.- Great day measuring at the Forest Cabin and now the wife is excited and ordering furniture, beds, etc. Life is good!

Adam

Adam

Audioholic Jedi
Just ordered the max. I'm getting some for my buddy who just bought a new receiver and speakers. He mentioned that he wanted banana plugs but that they cost too much.

sawzalot

sawzalot

Audioholic Samurai
Just ordered the max. I'm getting some for my buddy who just bought a new receiver and speakers. He mentioned that he wanted banana plugs but that they cost too much.
So when you let him know that you picked up these babies for just under twenty five dollars, :D , he's gonna be so happy to get them hooked up, hey what are Buddies for :rolleyes: geez, with friends like....
I hope your gonna hook them up for him too :)

E

Exit

Audioholic Chief
Excuse my ignorance but are the outer jackets isolated from the power. It looks like everything is all metal so I was wondering.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis