T

Trebdp83

Audioholic Ninja
Not sure if I mentioned it in one of my long winded posts, but check the Apple TV’s Music app settings. If you want Lossless two channel versions at all times and no lossy Dolby Atmos or Dolby Audio(5.1) versions played, switch the Dolby Atmos setting in the Music app to OFF. When it is set to Automatic, the Dolby Atmos and Dolby Audio versions will play by default.

If the receiver sound mode is set to Stereo, it will output sound from just the front speakers when playing Dolby Atmos or Dolby Audio versions. You will notice what seems like a lack of dynamics because they do come in at lower volume compared to the Lossless versions.

To make the settings adjustments, go to Settings>Apps>Music>Audio and turn Dolby Atmos OFF. Then, make sure Lossless ALAC is selected in Audio Quality, not High Quality AAC.

Below those two settings is the Sound Check setting. Leave it OFF. It will level out the volume of all music so nothing comes on too loud and all play at the same volume
. But, it levels them out at the lower volume track levels and louder tracks get gimped. I leave it OFF myself.

F

Focus SE

Junior Audioholic
Not sure if I mentioned it in one of my long winded posts, but check the Apple TV’s Music app settings. If you want Lossless two channel versions at all times and no lossy Dolby Atmos or Dolby Audio(5.1) versions played, switch the Dolby Atmos setting in the Music app to OFF. When it is set to Automatic, the Dolby Atmos and Dolby Audio versions will play by default.

If the receiver sound mode is set to Stereo, it will output sound from just the front speakers when playing Dolby Atmos or Dolby Audio versions. You will notice what seems like a lack of dynamics because they do come in at lower volume compared to the Lossless versions.

To make the settings adjustments, go to Settings>Apps>Music>Audio and turn Dolby Atmos OFF. Then, make sure Lossless ALAC is selected in Audio Quality, not High Quality AAC.

Below those two settings is the Sound Check setting. Leave it OFF. It will level out the volume of all music so nothing comes on too loud and all play at the same volume
. But, it levels them out at the lower volume track levels and louder tracks get gimped. I leave it OFF myself.
Sound check level was on. It is now off. Even with sound check on, I am constantly chasing the volume because of recording levels from artist to artist. So now it's going to be no different. I would rather adjust the volume than have poor sound.
No more changes for me for a long time. I'm going to enjoy what I have for now. Although I did see your post from awhile back about how you ripped your music and are playing it back on a mac mini. Sure, why not aggravate myself with more crap.

T

Trebdp83

Audioholic Ninja
Apple Music Lossless/Hi-res ALAC sounds as good as any other streaming service I’ve used. Apple just did a horrific job of putting it all together.

Those wanting to play with Dolby Atmos tracks from Apple Music on their Dolby Atmos configured surround sound systems can currently only do so with the Apple TV 4K. Macs do not support Dolby Atmos over HDMI. Though, they do now support hi-res 24/192 over HDMI.

If I want to listen to Dolby Atmos tracks, I use the Apple TV 4K. For two channel Lossless and Hi-Res streams from Amazon Music Unlimited, Apple Music, Qobuz or Tidal, I use the Mac mini M1. If working on something in another room, Pandora for background music on another receiver will do in a pinch.

I didn’t even scratch the surface in ripping my CDs as streaming from services is so easily done. But, there are times when an album is not available from any service and I will have to rip those CDs.

F

Focus SE

Junior Audioholic
The two guys from Best Buy both commented about how they were not a fan of Apple Music. One had Quobuz and the other had both Quobuz and Tidal. After resetting the Apple TV setting and listening on Bluetooth and Airplay and Apple TV they both said They needed to revisit their opinions. They recommended that I change nothing other than the router. The one guy pointed out the obvious limitation of the acoustics of my room but noted that even with that in his opinion it was as good as some extensive set ups not to mention expensive, that he's heard. I'm not suggesting anyone ditch what is working for them. But I would suggest to anyone getting started not to totally discount Apple Music if it can integrate with your whole system.

The fact that all but one album from an artist is available blows my mind. Outside of that I'm not sure I want to go through and rip all of my original CD's because a good portion of them have been remastered and I don't have those copies and they are available to stream.

I read an article that Apple was incentivizing artist to record in atmos. The hope was that by paying more per play on streaming they could get them to record in that format even if it isn't listened to in that format. IMO that is just mass marketing to the surround sound crowd as opposed to two channel stereo.

T

Trebdp83

Audioholic Ninja
There are some great Dolby Atmos music mixes and some absolutely awful mixes. It is best used with electronic type music for those wanting effects to bounce around the room.

There are some albums on blu-ray disc featuring lossless Dolby Atmos/TrueHD. I’ve only three of them so far.

Lossless/Hi-res two channel ALAC tracks from Apple Music are as good as those Lossless/Hi-res FLAC streams from the others. But, getting any of them unaltered to the speakers can be tricky based on the device and service combo used for playback. Dolby Atmos is trickier still.

C

clopgsane

Audiophyte
I never BT anything from my iphone to my AVR while at home. I do everything over Airplay. Maybe I missed in in your post, but I am wondering if your connection between phone and ATV is AIRPLAY vs BTto the AVR.

Last edited:
F

Focus SE

Junior Audioholic
I never BT anything from my iphone to my AVR while at home. I do everything over Airplay. Maybe I missed in in your post, but I am wondering if your connection between phone and ATV is AIRPLAY vs BTto the AVR.
Your confusion is warranted. My connection originally was BT to AVR. That was the plan until funds were made available to get a quality streamer. After developing a static noise, I attempted to put ATV in the system to be able to make a hard connection via HDMI to the AVR.That was the lowest cost solution until a preferred streamer was acquired. In the process I struggled with my own misunderstanding of Airplay. By the time I figured AP out I had the ATV. I had a setting on the ATV causing the issue of bad sound. It was the limit loud sounds setting that was set to on and stripping all of the life of the sound out making everything very flat sounding.

So, as it stands, I am primarily streaming from ATV to the AVR via HDMI with the ATV being directly connected to the router via a Lan connection. (I've been gone for two weeks and haven't really looked into it But I still have a little confusion as well) Obviously both my ATV and iPhone are devices synced to my apple account. The user interface on the phone it better than ATV. As part of the ATV app I can control the ATV remote from my phone making the interface of my phone control the ATV. BUT it appears as though when I do that it looks like I've gone back to AP mode. (I am just confusing, mainly me, out loud right now) By allowing a phone to control a device is convenient but it appears ease of connectivity is Apples goal and they achieved that, but the best quality of output is mine. I have a long way to go, in many areas. but for the time being it is what it is and its pretty dang good. the next step is a designated room in my house so until then I got what I got!
hopefully that makes sense.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis