"Ceramic" tweeter - Canton Vento 820.2 vs Paradigm S2

S

snakeeyes

Audioholic Ninja
I am not sure I addressed this directly.
IMHO, while the technology may be similar, the Vento ceramic tweeter is a step above the Infinity CMMD tweeter.
The CMMD tweeter used in the Infinity Reference R162 is an outstanding tweeter especially considering it is in a speaker with a MSRP of $450/pr. (or <$200 when on sale, as it is now!).
https://www.harmanaudio.com/R162BK.html?mrkgcl=989&mrkgadid=3317797016&utm_campaign=Con|GSC|Product&utm_source=Google&utm_medium=paid-search&utm_term=554317961959_channel_online_brand_infinity_product_type_home_audio_speakers_p&product_id=R162BK&utm_content=Infinity&creative=289428576674&device=c&matchtype=&network=g&gclid=Cj0KCQjw5rbsBRCFARIsAGEYRwd8A8U7Ni8LeFOzMU7WXl0suYgfF8XhJOpaSlnMxIz-9zj2xYXCrnwaAsaYEALw_wcB
It has extension beyond my experience of what is possible with a soft dome, but no indication of breakup (like the Paradigm Studio20 v.3 had - cymbals had a "bacon frying" sound to them that was subtle, but became apparent when directly A-B'ed against Paradigm Signature S-2 v.2 w/Be tweeter).
The difference between the Infinity CMMD tweeter and the Be tweeter shows up most obviously in the fullness of the harmonics of Orchestral chimes, where the S-2's Be tweeter simply outclasses the Infinity CMMD tweeter.

The Vento variant of ceramic-aluminium tweeter is marginally better than the S-2's Be tweeter, and marginally behind the Focal Solo6Be tweeter, so I would consider it in the same class as the Be tweeters!
I believe Monitor Audio uses Ceramic on their tweeter in the Silver series. I wonder how the Silver 1 would compare.

TheWarrior

TheWarrior

Audioholic Ninja
I was revisiting this thread and wanted to ask... when you say Floyd Toole used the tweeter from the Infinity speakers, what does that mean? Are you talking about his speakers at home? Or his preferred speaker in the test lab when evaluating certain aspects of human preferences?
I really don't know his history aside from the great body of research he has contributed.
Been outta town.... Floyd used to have a 7ch Infinity On wall system, at his home, now known as Revel M10. They made my RBH WM30's sound 'pedestrian' at best. (you know me and silk vs hard dome)

B

Bkid23

Audiophyte
Anyone have experience with the vento 802 bookshelves?? Seeing some used deals, but wondering if this is one of the better tweeters. It’s listed as “aluminum-maganese”.

Last edited:
afterlife2

afterlife2

Audioholic Warlord
Anyone have experience with the vento 802 booshelves?? Seeing some used deals, but wondering if this is one of the better tweeters. It’s listed as “aluminum-maganese”.
Ceramic is loved here and is one of their best tweets, which I’ve heard and it’s the best I’ve heard from Canton. Hopefully KEW will chime in if he’s heard the AM tweet.

KEW

KEW

Audioholic Overlord
Anyone have experience with the vento 802 bookshelves?? Seeing some used deals, but wondering if this is one of the better tweeters. It’s listed as “aluminum-maganese”.
Sorry, I have no experience with those.
I have the Chrono 502.2 which may use the same tweeter, and it is a fine aluminum tweeter, but does not offer the exceptional sound of the ceramic tweeter.
If you've found a good deal on the 802's and are on a tight budget, the 802's are likely a great "stepping stone" on your way to a better speaker as you save up.

Also, my quick search for the Vento 802 led me to this link on that generation of Ventos which I had not found before.
For some good general (but mostly out of date) info:

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis