"Ceramic" tweeter - Canton Vento 820.2 vs Paradigm S2

S

snakeeyes

Audioholic Ninja
Ya I hear you but there are a few options I can live with including waiting a full year for the front 3 in the HT if I have to. Even the lower canton beat my QA 3020 if you read zeigl’s thread. The 3020 and 3090 center are joining my old 55 plasma in the living room soon. They got the WAF green light recently...

KEW

KEW

Audioholic Overlord
I’m curious on some of the Canton towers but only at clearance prices. I’m also willing to wait a couple months. :)
Give a4l a call. They may or may not have info they are willing to share on upcoming sales and inventory.
Last year was the first time I have noticed Canton having such great discounts. Don't know if it can be expected this year or not!

S

snakeeyes

Audioholic Ninja
Give a4l a call. They may or may not have info they are willing to share on upcoming sales and inventory.
Last year was the first time I have noticed Canton having such great discounts. Don't know if it can be expected this year or not!
Ya after hearing about the Revel troubles I am zeroing in on Canton or I may just order a few SVS ultra bookshelves if I get the itch to audition early... I can always put a few in my bedroom if they don’t work for HT. There is a pair of used Revel F36 towers near me still... Bottomline I have funds tied up until late August. I also had considered ematthews old towers a while back that he sold since then. And I’m curious about KEF still because of the concentric driver in the center channel... :)

ematthews

ematthews

Audioholic General
Ya after hearing about the Revel troubles I am zeroing in on Canton or I may just order a few SVS ultra bookshelves if I get the itch to audition early... I can always put a few in my bedroom if they don’t work for HT. There is a pair of used Revel F36 towers near me still... Bottomline I have funds tied up until late August. I also had considered ematthews old towers a while back that he sold since then. And I’m curious about KEF still because of the concentric driver in the center channel... :)
Just note that the Revel's have a very smooth top end to them. I prefer a little brighter speaker and after going back and forth with my Revel, I preferred the Canton. This may be why I like the KEF LS50 so much as well. KEF R series is on sale right now as they will have a different version later this year.

S

snakeeyes

Audioholic Ninja
What size amp are you guys using when you listen to the cantons? Or just AVR?

ematthews

ematthews

Audioholic General
I am running mine with the Parasound Halo Integrated. 150 WPC.. I also tried out my Marantz PM8004 which is 80 WPC and sounds the same.

S

snakeeyes

Audioholic Ninja
I am running mine with the Parasound Halo Integrated. 150 WPC.. I also tried out my Marantz PM8004 which is 80 WPC and sounds the same.
Ok my Yamaha 2060 should be enough. I will eventually try out an amp but not at first

ematthews

ematthews

Audioholic General
I also have a much larger ATI 2002 amp that I haven't tried out yet. Although my Parasound does seem to push speakers more than the ATI.

Kvn_Walker

Kvn_Walker

Audioholic Field Marshall
I'm using a Yamaha AX596, and it does a great job driving the GLE 496's. Even for being their budget line, they are great sounding. A little bright but not fatiguing at all. I just love the midrange they put out.

S

snakeeyes

Audioholic Ninja
Ya end game for me is 5.2.4 but would be cool to have 2 full range towers and a somewhat matching bookshelf for center. But want to put off the amp and 2nd sub purchase a bit and focus on front 3. I love bookshelves for music but for movies I like towers. First world problems... :)

S

snakeeyes

Audioholic Ninja
Update, since there are no speakers in my bedroom anymore with the QA 3020 moving to the living room, today I ordered a pair of Canton Vento 820.2 bookshelf speakers to be my new 2.1 setup in the master bedroom.

The 10% discounts on Canton are back on A4L! :)

The HT room will still need speaker upgrades but will wait a bit. :)

KEW

KEW

Audioholic Overlord
FYI, I drive my Vento 820.2 with a standard mid-level AVR in the 100 watt territory (Marantz SR-6001) with good results. YMMV if you really like to crank it hard. I don't know how much power I had left, but don't think you'll have much problem driving them with any decent AVR/amp.

S

snakeeyes

Audioholic Ninja
FYI, I drive my Vento 820.2 with a standard mid-level AVR in the 100 watt territory (Marantz SR-6001) with good results. YMMV if you really like to crank it hard. I don't know how much power I had left, but don't think you'll have much problem driving them with any decent AVR/amp.
Ya l will first try my 90w Yamaha 681 to gauge if I need something similar or more serious. I want to stay at or near 80hz crossover to my Rythmik L12 sub. :)

Any classical cds that should be on my radar?

Last edited:
KEW

KEW

Audioholic Overlord
Ya l will first try my 90w Yamaha 681 to gauge if I need something similar or more serious. I want to stay at or near 80hz crossover to my Rythmik L12 sub. :)

Any classical cds that should be on my radar?
Well I am always happy to recommend Bach's Brandenberg Concertos as performed by the English Concert the recording is excellent, and while I would normally think why hamper the musicians with playing on authentic period instruments, when you hear the wooden resonance of the recorder instead of a modern flute (disc 1, track 11) you'll recognize that it wouldn't be the same!
If you have a basic Amazon Prime account, you can listen free (but I doubt the quality is as good as the CD).
I'm thinking tracks 7 and 10 of disc 1 would sound especially nice on the Vento's!

https://www.amazon.com/Bach-Brandenburg-Concertos-Orchestral-Suites/dp/B000VHOC0G/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1534374761&sr=8-2&keywords=bach+brandenburg+pinnock

PS - I'm not familiar with the orchestral suites included in this 3 CD set.
I have these two CD's (it is the same recording of the Concertos):
https://www.amazon.com/Brandenburg-Concerti-1-3-Bach/dp/B0000057CB/ref=sr_1_7?ie=UTF8&qid=1534375720&sr=8-7&keywords=bach+brandenburg+pinnock
https://www.amazon.com/Brandenburg-Concerti-4-5-6/dp/B0000057CC/ref=pd_sbs_15_2?_encoding=UTF8&pd_rd_i=B0000057CC&pd_rd_r=182924b1-a0e3-11e8-b7cc-ff088c583269&pd_rd_w=kwQSg&pd_rd_wg=aDgia&pf_rd_i=desktop-dp-sims&pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_p=ebf3f80b-3878-4fb9-8381-bbec92f92693&pf_rd_r=F58K4W1GTMK305FSMXSN&pf_rd_s=desktop-dp-sims&pf_rd_t=40701&psc=1&refRID=F58K4W1GTMK305FSMXSN

zieglj01

zieglj01

Audioholic Spartan
Update, since there are no speakers in my bedroom anymore with the QA 3020 moving to the living room, today I ordered a pair of Canton Vento 820.2 bookshelf speakers to be my new 2.1 setup in the master bedroom.
Enjoy the adventure

ematthews

ematthews

Audioholic General
I tell you what. If I could find the Canton Reference Vento 9.2 DC in the tower version. I would be all set. The bookshelf I own is so good, I could only imagine what a full tower would sound like.

S

snakeeyes

Audioholic Ninja
I tell you what. If I could find the Canton Reference Vento 9.2 DC in the tower version. I would be all set. The bookshelf I own is so good, I could only imagine what a full tower would sound like.
I can’t wait to get my Ventos. I really am hoping I have found a winner for at least one of my 3 systems. I also am buying the GF a new Apple IPad and the Apple TV 4K thru DirectTV now. Just to even things out a bit. :)

KEW

KEW

Audioholic Overlord
So not enough curiosity to check out their A45 Towers?
https://www.accessories4less.com/make-a-store/item/canta45blka/canton-a45-45th-anniversary-limited-edition-speaker-black-each/1.html#!specifications

I surely would like to hear your Vento 9.2 DC to compare against my Vento 820.2

Edit:
I see Kvn Walker beat me to it!

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis