Center Speaker Clarity

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
Thanks for the reply.

Had to look up what cocktail party effect is. Reading that description I've never been good at that. I'm typically very aware of whats happening around me. The exception would be for working I am equally good at tuning others out. However in terms of getting some testing done. I'd rather table that for now with all the epidemic stuff happening. Perhaps when things are a bit more normal I would revisit that aspect.

I'd be up for the second part as best I can. I have no experience or idea how this is done however. Let me know what you'd like me to try/check.

I'll write a brief outline of my room below.

General shape would be rectangular with a few area's that have "chimney's or the likes going up" so its not a perfect rectangle. There is an open archway to another rectangular room. There is another archway that leads to a hallway. Technically speaking there are 2 windows but these windows do not lead directly outside anymore. There is now an enclosed porch on the other side of them.

The windows have reasonably heavy light blocking curtains.

The floors would be hardwood with a decent carpet that covers most of it in that room.

The walls are all plaster and lath (not drywall) ; unless there is a heavy bass from the sub or the volume is quite high its usually reasonably quiet in the house outside that room (not a lot of sound escapes)

Furniture: couch and a comfy chair. There are a few oak pieces and a coffee table with a glass top.

Cheers!
Pics. Need some pics. The description helps but you know, "a picture is worth...".

Matthew J Poes

Matthew J Poes

Audioholic Chief
Staff member
Thanks for the reply.

Had to look up what cocktail party effect is. Reading that description I've never been good at that. I'm typically very aware of whats happening around me. The exception would be for working I am equally good at tuning others out. However in terms of getting some testing done. I'd rather table that for now with all the epidemic stuff happening. Perhaps when things are a bit more normal I would revisit that aspect.

I'd be up for the second part as best I can. I have no experience or idea how this is done however. Let me know what you'd like me to try/check.

I'll write a brief outline of my room below.

General shape would be rectangular with a few area's that have "chimney's or the likes going up" so its not a perfect rectangle. There is an open archway to another rectangular room. There is another archway that leads to a hallway. Technically speaking there are 2 windows but these windows do not lead directly outside anymore. There is now an enclosed porch on the other side of them.

The windows have reasonably heavy light blocking curtains.

The floors would be hardwood with a decent carpet that covers most of it in that room.

The walls are all plaster and lath (not drywall) ; unless there is a heavy bass from the sub or the volume is quite high its usually reasonably quiet in the house outside that room (not a lot of sound escapes)

Furniture: couch and a comfy chair. There are a few oak pieces and a coffee table with a glass top.

Cheers!
As someone already noted, a pic would help.

can you get a pic of the carpet? Lift up the corner so I can see it’s thickness and what is underneath?

what brand and model phone do you have?

Q

qwaven

Audioholic Intern
Hi all,

Yeah I'm not terribly eager to be posting pictures of my home on the open internet. I have however attached a picture of my carpet.

I have a Samsung S20 Ultra

Cheers!

Attachments

Matthew J Poes

Matthew J Poes

Audioholic Chief
Staff member
Hi all,

Yeah I'm not terribly eager to be posting pictures of my home on the open internet. I have however attached a picture of my carpet.

Cheers!
Ok so before making any other changes I would really like to get some measurements. Since you don’t have experience with this, let me look into what is available for your phone.

what I need to have happen is for you to play back a file and then record it.

if I can’t figure out a way for you to use your phone for this, do you own any kind of microphone?

NINaudio

NINaudio

Audioholic Samurai
Nobody is going to know where you live from a picture of your living room!

Q

qwaven

Audioholic Intern
Yeah that's ok I prefer to keep personal separate from the internet when possible.

However in an effort to not waste anyones time. I do feel that for the most part my question has been answered with what seems like the source content is more the issue. I'm happy to continue on with testing but I would like to make sure it is clear that I wouldn't anticipate there being much ability on my part to be able to make any drastic changes. IE not about to go buy new furniture...etc. It is after all a shared space. It would be completely a different story if it were a dedicated theater space. :) So yeah if these tests will be just to gain more info and understanding than that's great but I wouldn't have high hopes that anything will actually get fixed unless it is something really minor.

Anyway thanks for all the input.

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
Hi all,

Cheers!
Okay guys, I recognize the texture, color and napping of those carpet fibers and have triangulated the region where it's sold. Will have a fix on the location in about 15 minutes...

I'm sorry, I kid. Couldn't help myself... :p

William Lemmerhirt

William Lemmerhirt

Audioholic Overlord
I’ll show you mine if you show me.....
Nvm...

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
You guys know the story of Shia LaBeouf and his defiant white flag art project? He set up a live stream in an undisclosed location and was going to let that flag fly as long as Trump is in office. All you could see in the live stream was the flag and the sky behind it.

The dregs of humanity over at 4chan decided it'd be fun to mess with Shia. I'll copy paste the story below. I'm blown away they pulled this off.

The trolls using only the live stream of the flag, started, I poop you not, studying the flight patterns and contrails of the airplanes passing overhead. They mapped out what they saw and took their findings to flight radars to try and pinpoint a general area. Using the knowledge gleaned from the flight patterns they found that the location was near Greeneville, Tennessee.

Then they turned to studying the star patterns and their movements and with that, plus a tweet that Labeouf sent out in a Tennessee diner, the trolls were able to narrow the area even further—to a small patch of land between a house and a river.

This is when their man on the ground came into play. The channers were able to enlist a local troll to drive around the area and repeatedly honk his horn.

The horn was picked up on the live stream and the troll posted his location to 4Chan. In probably the sweetest moment of his lil' life, the channer made his way to claim his prize. Down went Shia's white flag of defiance, up went a red Trump hat, and the most pointlessly convoluted game of capture the flag of all time came to an end.

It seems that the troll who successfully stole the flag now has it proudly hung, fittingly, in his basement. The latest iteration of He Will Not Divide Us Lasted a little over 37 hours.

William Lemmerhirt

William Lemmerhirt

Audioholic Overlord
You guys know the story of Shia LaBeouf and his defiant white flag art project? He set up a live stream in an undisclosed location and was going to let that flag fly as long as Trump is in office. All you could see in the live stream was the flag and the sky behind it.

The dregs of humanity over at 4chan decided it'd be fun to mess with Shia. I'll copy paste the story below. I'm blown away they pulled this off.

The trolls using only the live stream of the flag, started, I poop you not, studying the flight patterns and contrails of the airplanes passing overhead. They mapped out what they saw and took their findings to flight radars to try and pinpoint a general area. Using the knowledge gleaned from the flight patterns they found that the location was near Greeneville, Tennessee.

Then they turned to studying the star patterns and their movements and with that, plus a tweet that Labeouf sent out in a Tennessee diner, the trolls were able to narrow the area even further—to a small patch of land between a house and a river.

This is when their man on the ground came into play. The channers were able to enlist a local troll to drive around the area and repeatedly honk his horn.

The horn was picked up on the live stream and the troll posted his location to 4Chan. In probably the sweetest moment of his lil' life, the channer made his way to claim his prize. Down went Shia's white flag of defiance, up went a red Trump hat, and the most pointlessly convoluted game of capture the flag of all time came to an end.

It seems that the troll who successfully stole the flag now has it proudly hung, fittingly, in his basement. The latest iteration of He Will Not Divide Us Lasted a little over 37 hours.

I’m gonna check this out. Had no idea!
FWIW, I think he would be fun as Fukk to hang with. Kinda weird, but I like him. Ever seen peanut butter falcon? I know lots of people think he’s a douche, but who knows how douchey some of us would seem if we were followed around by paparazzi and exploited all the time.
Anyway, gonna check our his flag thing.

B

bigalbeco

Audiophyte
I have had the same problem with every center speaker that I have tried from Definitive Technology that has had two mid woofers in them for 20 years now. I blame my room though because I don't have the same problem in my upstairs room which is pretty much square. Because of a screen that comes down for a projector I changed from tower speakers to Definitive BP2 bookshelf speakers and have tried matching a center but in the end I tried a Definitive C1Jr with one woofer and matching tweeter and problem solved. Dialogue is clear, even with the extra noise movies pump through that they think you need to hear.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis