Center Speaker Clarity

Q

qwaven

Audioholic Intern
Hi all,

I've been struggling with this issue for a while now. So long that this issue has gone through different rooms for my setup (I moved a few times now) and I'm pretty sure even a different AVR along the way. So hoping someone can help shed some light on my situation. Speakers have not changed.

My issue is that I find my center channel (speaking) clarity often is very difficult to understand. It's often like some of the people talking are mumbling or whispering to a point that its basically impossible to understand what people are saying. Turning up the volume typically results in louder than desirable listening volumes and does not really help a whole lot with the clarity.

I've attempted to adjust the individual speaker volumes and boosting the center channel quite a bit above the rest and this has helped some but I suspect is more masking the issue.

So not sure if my issue is my center channel speaker, or some setting on my AVR that I can tweak, or maybe a little of both? :)

My setup is bits and pieces I've put together and not a package. Below are what I am working with and done my best to include some capabilities from the label on the back or what I could locate on the internet.

Front L/R: JVC SP-7500(C)
Impedance: 8 ohms
Max Watt: 120W
Range: couldnt find it
3-way (tweeter, mid about 6"?, and low 12")

Surround: Sony SS-MB300H
Sensitivity: 88db (from the internet)
Max Watts: Says 140W on them, internet says 120W.
Range: 50Hz - 50KHz
3-way (1", 3", 8")

Center: JBL Northbridge Series N-Center II
Sensitivity: 90db (says internet)
Max Watts: Can't find it on them but the internet says 150w
2-way speakers mid-woofer (2) and tweater (1)
Internet also says the frequency response is 80Hz and crossover frequency is 3500Hz

I also have a dual firing sub but I couldn't get at the label for more details at this time.

AVR: Yamaha (Natural Sound) HTR-6190
7.1 Channel capable (I'm using 5.1)
100w per channel (could be slightly more)
Can do just about any audio format up to True/Master but not Atmos..etc.
I am also just using the AVR for audio. Video does not go through the AVR.

Everything seems to work well, at least to my standards, except the center voice clarity. I'm sure there is room for adjusts all round still but for this purpose I'm mostly concerned about the center.

Anyone have any thoughts? Suggestions?

Cheers!

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
How is it positioned? That seems the most likely as far as changes go.

Are you getting older and hearing starting to have issues? Some newer soundtracks I notice do that somewhat deliberately, too.

Shanman

Shanman

Audioholic
Why do you have the crossover on the center set so high @ 3500Hz? You sure the tweeter on the center channel speaker is actually functioning?

Edit- I realize the 3500hz you mentioned may be the crossover point between the woofer and tweet on the center speaker. I took it literally as you crossing over the center speaker at that point with the Avr....

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Why do you have the crossover on the center set so high @ 3500Hz? You sure the tweeter on the center channel speaker is actually functioning?
That's a speaker spec for the passive crossover inside the speaker.

William Lemmerhirt

William Lemmerhirt

Audioholic Overlord
Does the tweeter work? I’ve heard that center and didn’t think it was too bad. Maybe NIN is right, and it’s just time for a new one.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Speaking of crossover settings in your avr, what are they?

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi

Edit- I realize the 3500hz you mentioned may be the crossover point between the woofer and tweet on the center speaker. I took it literally as you crossing over the center speaker at that point with the Avr....
FWIW avr crossover limits are generally like 250hz.

Q

qwaven

Audioholic Intern
Hi all,

Thanks for your replies.

1. If a new center speaker is the answer I can live with that, but I'd really prefer to understand why before I head out and buy another. Thoughts?
2a. Center typically had always been positioned slightly below the TV in the center, in all the places its been setup. Currently my setup left me with either choosing to position it on a shelf below the TV but would require permanent damage to the shelving unit to run the wire so I opted to put the center behind the TV which leaves about half of the speaker fully clear. So it is partially blocked (and yes I get it that's not great) but I have no issue hearing the center speaker. It is literally just the speaking voices, any other audio coming from it is perfect. Also to be clear this issue has persisted even from when the speaker was completely unobstructed.
2b. Well were all getting older :) but seriously I'm not the only one who has complained about it. I'm also under 40 to be more specific.
3. The crossover what you are referring to is the speaker spec I found online. I do not have anything specific set. I'm not sure I can set this specifically for my center.
4. As far as I am aware the tweeter works. Is there a way to confirm that better? If I go up to the speaker is sounds fine otherwise.
5. The crossover I've had at 100Hz. However my understanding was this was for the sub. I don't see anything specific for just the center.

Thanks again all. :)

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Post a pic of that placement? Blocking it isn't good.

ps A crossover is that between the speaker and sub....you may have a universal crossover or one per set of speakers....probably in your speaker setup menu.

NINaudio

NINaudio

Audioholic Samurai
as for why, I suspect that having the speaker positioned behind the TV like that definitely is not helping your situation. How far are you sitting from the speaker?

NINaudio

NINaudio

Audioholic Samurai
Are all voices unclear? Are either male or female voices clearer than the other?

NINaudio

NINaudio

Audioholic Samurai
Actually, I have a few more questions and a comment.

Has this problem been around as long as the speaker?

Has it gotten worse over time or stayed the same?

Your placement is going to hobble any speaker. Your getting reflections/blockage off the tv and reflections off the shelf itself. I know you say that anything besides speech sounds good, but we are inherently tuned to pick out speech. If speech clarity is suffering it is likely that anything else played through the speaker is suffering as well, you're just not as sensitive to it.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Is that a wall mounted tv at the wrong height? :) Yeah, not good. Not sure with that photo what your options might be other than raising the tv up...

ps Plus, you'd ideally want that center at the front edge of the cabinet to reduce reflections off the surface....

Q

qwaven

Audioholic Intern
I would say not all voices, sometimes more consistent in some movies than others. Although not 100% sure on this I would say probably male voices over female suffer the most.

I wouldn't say its got worse no. and yes this is the only center speaker I've ever had. Always been an issue. :p

No the TV is on its feet on the same cabinet. It was rather unfortunate the feet were not a little higher.

Cheers!

NINaudio

NINaudio

Audioholic Samurai
Wall mount that tv and bring that center to the front of the cabinet it's sitting on. It's rear ported, so you're probably also getting lots of bass reinforcement from it being close to the wall. That could explain why it affects male voices more. You've got a trifecta of issues with that placement. Correcting them will go a loooong way to improving your sound.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Always been an issue doesn't mean you placed it better before, but I didn't really pickup that part now that I re-read it.

Q

qwaven

Audioholic Intern
Wall mounting ah yes perhaps one day but it will surely bring its own issues. I could possibly run the speaker wire temporarily in front and move the center to the front inside the shelving unit if you really think it will solve my issue. It would make it a little lower though.

Come to think of it, though. I am wondering if its to do with the type of audio? For example I played Interstellar which has TrueHD audio. I had a super hard time understanding some of the people in the movie but when something big happened my room would shake. Now I am watching an older movie which does not appear to even have surround and is using 'PLII Movie' currently and sounds perfect. It also appears to mostly be playing from the center speaker.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Center aimed at ear height with no obstructions with needed distance from a boundary are good things.

Upmixing/downmixing are generally pretty good with most gear these days. Stereo upmixed to PLII Movie mode? PLIIx? The frequency range the upmixer uses would mostly center dialog in the center and since most movies are centered around dialog.....

nm PLII makes sense, thought you had 7.1 but that was just the potential.....

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis