Center channel advice/help (JBL Studio 520c?)

S

snakeeyes

Audioholic Ninja
For the purpose of testing, I would suggest manually setting the crossover for all three front speakers (including the 590's) at either 100Hz or 120Hz for the purpose of comparing them to see how they will work together.
Obviously they will sound weak, but once you have subs I would expect you will likely cross the 590s at 60, 80 or 100Hz and the 520 at 100Hz or 120Hz.
The 590's have much larger woofers (remember, it is the total surface area times the stroke distance, not diameter that really matters!) and the 520 is a sealed cabinet, while the 590's larger woofers are ported. Definitely expect them to sound different if driven full range!
From the standpoint of timbre matching, our ears are much more sensitive at the midrange frequencies. That is the reason you don't get much concern over which subs you match with your speakers. You want to get good subs, but among good subs, one is about as good as the next, it becomes more about looks and features!
You forgot to ask him for the dimensions of the room so we can calculate the volume and recommend subs. Also if shipping to USA or Canada or “other”. :)
There is this somewhat technical article that describes the shortcomings of that type of center speaker design. You would have to take acoustic measurements in your room to see what is really happening. I would look for a three way center like this one instead. I also like the Paradigm Premier center speakers. I have a feeling those would be a better match for the JBL Studio 590s than the 520. You might also look at the Hsu CCB-8, if you have the room for it.

MTM center speakers can never be a match for traditional bookshelf or tower speaker designs. Even if the on-axis response is the same, the off-axis response gets wrecked cancellation lobes, and the off-axis response is still a major component of what is heard even if listening on-axis.
I definitely am interested in the Paradigm Premier center and towers for my next upgrade in my theater room. Just need to wait a bit. My next major purchase will be a hot tub. :)

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
DOH!

I remembered one of my sets of Harman speakers had chosen a sealed design for the center (presumably so it could be wall mounted or tucked into a cabinet pocket without concerns of port clearance!
I had just handled the 520 to see how well it would stand on end (needs a little something to prop it up). i wasn't looking for ports, but neither felt nor saw the ports in the process so made a bad assumption.
It is the Infinity RC263 which is sealed while all of the towers and bookshelf speakers in that series are ported.

I edited my post!

Thanks for keeping me honest!
It is too bad they decided to make the 520 more in line with the size of the 530 rather than the 590. I definitely would have opted for a larger center if that had been an option. It's a very small port, too. :) Standing one on end never even occurred to me, would need quite a bit of propping up....

KEW

KEW

Audioholic Overlord
There is this somewhat technical article that describes the shortcomings of that type of center speaker design. You would have to take acoustic measurements in your room to see what is really happening. I would look for a three way center like this one instead. I also like the Paradigm Premier center speakers. I have a feeling those would be a better match for the JBL Studio 590s than the 520. You might also look at the Hsu CCB-8, if you have the room for it.

MTM center speakers can never be a match for traditional bookshelf or tower speaker designs. Even if the on-axis response is the same, the off-axis response gets wrecked cancellation lobes, and the off-axis response is still a major component of what is heard even if listening on-axis.
@bigkrazy155 , this is why I suggested standing the speaker on end as we seem to be more sensitive to these lobing effects in the horizontal plane that the vertical. If this cured the issue, you would have good reason to believe you/your room are sensitive to the issues above!

If you end up going with the Infinity RC263 James linked above, you can get it for a good bit less from Amazon:
https://www.amazon.com/Infinity-Reference-Center-Channel-Speaker/dp/B00K7DPUE6/ref=asc_df_B00K7DPUE6/?tag=hyprod-20&linkCode=df0&hvadid=242023900698&hvpos=1o2&hvnetw=g&hvrand=15651775761916271780&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvqmt=&hvdev=c&hvdvcmdl=&hvlocint=&hvlocphy=9010826&hvtargid=pla-588276937370&psc=1

KEW

KEW

Audioholic Overlord
You forgot to ask him for the dimensions of the room so we can calculate the volume and recommend subs. Also if shipping to USA or Canada or “other”. :)
I was trying to help him make a good comparison before getting the subs!
I hope they aren't going to come take away my Audioholic man-card for not suggesting he get subs immediately!
Sorry! I don't know what happened! It was just a brief lapse of judgement!:oops:

KEW

KEW

Audioholic Overlord
It is too bad they decided to make the 520 more in line with the size of the 530 rather than the 590. I definitely would have opted for a larger center if that had been an option. It's a very small port, too. :) Standing one on end never even occurred to me, would need quite a bit of propping up....
Two ports (but who's counting).
I set it up on edge and used my index finger on the back to hold it there easily enough. It would probably be a little strain if I had used my pinky - so call that what you will!

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Two ports (but who's counting).
I set it up on edge and used my index finger on the back to hold it there easily enough. It would probably be a little strain if I had used my pinky - so call that what you will!
Mine has one port and a very sloped end, are we talking about the same speaker?

1ONE1

Audiophyte
Quick follow-up: I just had my wife sit down and do an A/B comparison. She said "it sounds like a TV speaker." I guess it's not just my ears.
LOL either you have serious listening issues or your amp or other electronics are the ones with the issues. This is one of the highest rated speakers in the market by arguably the best loudspeaker manufacturer ever.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
LOL either you have serious listening issues or your amp or other electronics are the ones with the issues. This is one of the highest rated speakers in the market by arguably the best loudspeaker manufacturer ever.
The 520C is a highly rated speaker by who?

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
By almost everyone who owns it.
Not what I've seen generally here and elsewhere. Many look to have something better....altho I did keep mine, I did demote it to a lesser setup. YMMV.

1ONE1

Audiophyte
Not what I've seen generally here and elsewhere. Many look to have something better....altho I did keep mine, I did demote it to a lesser setup. YMMV.
It's a very good speaker. I'm even considering upgrading to the 580 in it's place.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
It's a very good speaker. I'm even considering upgrading to the 580 in it's place.
The 580 is a completely different type of speaker, tho. It's not even close in design. I do have 580s as surrounds....good speakers.

ps are you thinking of the 530 instead of the 520c?

1ONE1

Audiophyte
Yes sir!! Good to hear you notice an audible difference. Giving me more reason to upgrade lol. JBL's Studio 5 Series are an engineering marvel for home theater environments.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Yes sir!! Good to hear you notice an audible difference. Giving me more reason to upgrade lol. JBL's Studio 5 Series are an engineering marvel for home theater environments.
What did I say was an audible difference particularly? I'm just saying the 520C center specific MTM design is not even close to the 580's tower 2-way design. I do like the studio 5s, but there is of course better out there, perhaps not for the price, tho.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis