V

Victor rODRIGUEZ

Audioholic Intern
Hello everyone, I have the possibility of buying a Celestion E5 at a ridiculous price, I do not find much information about them.
Someone has them or has heard them

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

Seriously, I have no life.
You are going back a long time here.

The E designation means that they are from 1960. They are old studio monitors.

These come from a Time when Celestion was a UK company.

These would be up against Tannoy, and WB Stentorian and firms like that in the UK. In the US Altec, JBL, West:ake EV would have been competitors.

I suspect that these speakers are 16 ohm and not that useful in this age.

Although the driver is large, efficiency was at a premium, so the speakers will not play that low. The bass driver will driven way into break up range, so the mid range will not be all that smooth.

These speakers are more of a collectors item and an example of the type of commercial sound of that era.

V

Victor rODRIGUEZ

Audioholic Intern
the seller told me that it's about 3 way system at
CELESTION E-2 (1) (1).JPG
celestion e2.jpg
4 ohm

V

Victor rODRIGUEZ

Audioholic Intern
I already have a Celestion 5 and I think they are the best economical speakers ever manufactured. If these E2 were remotely close to 5 I would not doubt it

V

Victor rODRIGUEZ

Audioholic Intern
sorry i write wrong E5 when really wanna said E2. Thanks TLS guy by the info

KenM10759

KenM10759

Audioholic Samurai
Those appear to be some high-quality speakers. You said "ridiculous price", so depending upon what that really is, those could be quite a good bargain for a pretty good speaker. Those seem to be from right around the time Celestion was still standing alone and making speakers for both the home audio and pro audio markets. In home audio, they were a well-respected and fairly expensive line though weren't at it very long.

Here's a limited history of Celestion, though doesn't get into much detail about the time Celestion was making good home audio speakers under their own name. It's more about the speaker drivers made for guitar amps. That's what they're most famous for doing.

http://www.bygonetones.com/the-history-of-celestion.html

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis