Celestion A3 - Tweeters and bass cone gone

D

dreamspy

Enthusiast
Hi there

I wasn't sure if I should post this here or in the loudspeakers forum. But since I might end up doing some DIY work I decided to post this here.

I've recently acquired a used pair of Celestion A3 speakers. But the problem is that one of the tweeters is completely gone, the other one is a bit dent but still works, and one of the 8" cones has burned out. *The previous owner didn't really treat them with the care these speakers need :)

I am wondering if you know where to get spare parts for these speakers? I was told that Celestion has stopped making spare parts for this model, and I've heard about people using tweeters from different models, by removing them from their housings and fitting them in the A3 tweeter housing. Anyone have any experience with this or know what models would work?

Kind Regards
Frímann

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

Seriously, I have no life.
Hi there

I wasn't sure if I should post this here or in the loudspeakers forum. But since I might end up doing some DIY work I decided to post this here.

I've recently acquired a used pair of Celestion A3 speakers. But the problem is that one of the tweeters is completely gone, the other one is a bit dent but still works, and one of the 8" cones has burned out. *The previous owner didn't really treat them with the care these speakers need :)

I am wondering if you know where to get spare parts for these speakers? I was told that Celestion has stopped making spare parts for this model, and I've heard about people using tweeters from different models, by removing them from their housings and fitting them in the A3 tweeter housing. Anyone have any experience with this or know what models would work?

Kind Regards
Frímann
That's too bad, as those Celestion speakers are very good. In particular those tweeters are among the best ever produced. The Celestion company of old is long gone, and now a junk company out of Hong Kong produce junk under the name.

The box and crossovers are designed for those drivers, and you will only have really poor speakers substituting the drivers. Good used parts for those speakers are hot property and sell high. Your best bet is to wait for an eBay seller to post a single working speaker. Or you could cash out and sell your working drivers.

D

dreamspy

Enthusiast
According to what I've been reading, it should be quite easy to take the diaphragm and replace it with the broken one...

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

Seriously, I have no life.
According to what I've been reading, it should be quite easy to take the diaphragm and replace it with the broken one...
You need to be careful, as they made a number of version of that tweeter, that are not interchangeable.

D

dreamspy

Enthusiast
Aha... good to know. But when you say they are not interchangble, you mean that I could not fit together the diaphragm + coil from Celestion 5 to the magnet of a Celestion A3? Or I could not use the tweeter from the 5 in general with the crossover of the A3?

Is there any way for me to know if this will work in my A3? F.x. by asking the seller to measure the dimensions of the diaphragm...

regards
Frímann

D

dreamspy

Enthusiast
Just took a look at the gallery of your setup. Looks pretty amazing I must say!

D

dreamspy

Enthusiast
I just went ahead and ordered the tweeter from the Celestion 5. Hope it'll fit.

But I was wondering about this tweeter here:

Celestion CS2 Tweeter | eBay

Do you have any idea if this is a proper tweeter, which could fit my speaker? Hard to tell from the pictures, but the design looks very similiar to the A3 tweeter.

D

dreamspy

Enthusiast
I just went ahead and ordered the tweeter from the Celestion 5. Hope it'll fit.

But I was wondering about this tweeter here:

Celestion CS2 Tweeter | eBay

Do you have any idea if this is a proper tweeter, which could fit my speaker? Hard to tell from the pictures, but the design looks very similiar to the A3 tweeter.
Just a short follow-up for those who might be in the same situation as I was. I received the Tweeter from Celestion 5 MKII in the post a few days ago. Replaced the diaphragm in my old Celestion A3 with the one from Celestion 5. Now my speakers seem to sound completely identical, and the new diaphragm looked exactly like the one that was already in the tweeter before.

So what I did to exchange the diaphragm, is that I removed the magnet from the back of the tweeter. The diaphragm is attached to a plastic sheet, which is glued to the tweeter case. Using a haird-dryer, I heated the plastic for a short time, loosening up the glue. Now it was quite easy to remove the plastic from the tweeter case, and exchange the old one out.

Now word of caution though. I've heard that the tweeters from the Celestion 5's aren't always the same size, so you might end up with something that doesn't fit. But worked in my case so I'm happy :)

Now I only have to get that bass cone fixed and I'm good.

regards
Frímann

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis