Ceiling speakers & Atmos

E

ensco

Enthusiast
Thanks for the advice - Man I want the 4700 - My will is not strong enough it's only a matter of time before I cave and get it - crap.

ensco

E

ensco

Enthusiast
I have one more question which I had forgotten to ask - sorry guys.

As we had discussed my back ceiling speakers cannot be placed quite far enough back to achieve a 45 degree angle with my seating position. But my forward ceiling speakers can be placed at a 45 degree to the seating position.

I was planning to use (4) 6.5" ceiling speakers which are adjustable up to angled at 15 degrees.
The main driver (15 degree angle) is not adjustable but the entire speaker is rotatable - the tweeter angle is adjustable though.

The mfg suggest rotating all the speakers to point to the center of the listening area.

Is this a good idea and or speaker selection for ceiling speakers in a 5.2.4 setup ?

or would a non angled speaker (firing straight down) perform better ?

Sorry for the edit - At first I thought the angle could be adjusted - but after reading the install manual realized the angle was fixed.

ensco

Last edited:
William Lemmerhirt

William Lemmerhirt

Audioholic Overlord
I have one more question which I had forgotten to ask - sorry guys.

As we had discussed my back ceiling speakers cannot be placed quite far enough back to achieve a 45 degree angle with my seating position. But my forward ceiling speakers can be placed at a 45 degree to the seating position.

I am planning to use (4) 6.5" ceiling speakers which are adjustable up to 15 degrees - How would you suggest angling the speakers using their adjustment capability ?

I realize I can experiment with this - just looking for a good start point - would that be just straight down or should the back speakers be slightly angled forward towards the seating position (angled away from the back wall) ?

ensco
IMO, you would aim them as close as you can at the main Listening position. If you have multiple seats then you can play with the angles for wider coverage, but I’d start with them aimed at you.

E

ensco

Enthusiast
Thanks William - sounds like the angled speakers being rotatable is a good option to allow specific aiming.
Also with my setup I definitely have one main listening position - angled speakers it is.

ensco

William Lemmerhirt

William Lemmerhirt

Audioholic Overlord
Thanks William - sounds like the angled speakers being rotatable is a good option to allow specific aiming.
Also with my setup I definitely have one main listening position - angled speakers it is.

ensco
I think you’ll be pleased. I used RSL c34e’s. They’re also on a 15° baffle and I’ve rotated them toward my main seat. Works excellent.

F

FPSkywalker

Audiophyte
As you will install four height speakers I would go with the Denon 4700 as it supports Auro-3D. This feature allows your stereo music to be unmixed in 3D with your height speakers. It's a really nice mode for listening to music. You will also find the Height speakers offer an advantage with Atmos supported movies.

The Denon 3600 and 3700 do not offer Auro-3D. The 4500 offers it but's it a much more advanced implementation in the Denon 4700 with controls for fine tuning Auro-3D to meet your exact preferences.

You can also run the height speakers in multi-channel mode but I think after experiencing Auro-3D immersion and fine tuning it for your room with the Denon 4700 controls you may like it better - as I do.
Would Auro-3D work well using in-ceiling speakers for heights? Unfortunately, heights are not an option for me but in-ceiling is fair-game and have heard good things about Auro-3D that would like to give it a go and just got a Denon 4700.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
I currently have a 5.1 setup and with the upgrade am considering a 5.2.4 with 4 ceiling speakers – don’t think I can do 7.2.4.
My room is 22' x 26' x 14' ceiling and I have 5.2.4 Atmos. Absolutely love it.

So I think you will like 5.2.4 just fine. :D

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis