Cats vs Subwoofer - Sabotage inside !

pcefrog

pcefrog

Junior Audioholic
cat vs. speakers

nice that everyone has no problems with cats and speakers. but i don t want to take a chance with my new speakers.
Does any one know of real solutions to preventing cats from clawing speaker mesh? i heard of putting tape sticky side up in front of spkr, but doesnt look that cool in a home theatre. any other ideas......land mines, trip wire?
Rotty or doberman?

Kolia

Kolia

Full Audioholic
Mine (the cats) are declawed in the front so they wouldn't do much damage. Plus, there are plenty of other textured stuff to rub their paws on.

You can try to skirt them with water from a distance. Make sure they can't figure out it's you doing it. If in their little mind speakers = squirt = not fun, you'll be safe.

Mine jumped on one of the surround speaker that fell on, of all things, the upright vaccum cleaner (pretty much the scariest thing to a pet) that fell in turn... They haven't been near the surrounds since... hehe

emorphien

emorphien

Audioholic General
Haha, the vacuum takes care of bad behavior pretty quickly, most cats are terrified of that noisy behemoth.

There are some sprays you can put un the floor around the speaker that will supposedly drive them back, but I have no idea how they work. Your best bet is to give the cats something better to scratch than your speakers, like a scratching post and to keep their claws trimmed. That's all I've needed to do with mine, he's never gone after anything else aside from my bed occaisionally if I haven't trimmed his claws often enough. He's pretty easy to deal with, doesn't like to cause trouble, but I've known cats that did so hopefully yours isn't one of them.

L

lcdguy

Junior Audioholic
i have a cat and while she leaves the floow standers alone my cat has this weird love affair with booming bass and sticking her paws as far in the front port as possible it quite funny sometimes. Also the water trick wouldn't work for my cat since she loves play in the sink with the water turned on :) she really is a messed up cat. :D

emorphien

emorphien

Audioholic General
Haha, my furry guy has never reached in the sub or speakers but I'm surprised now that you mention it. He reaches in boxes all the time looking for packing peanuts, as well as my bags when I get back from campus but has never blindly reached in to a speaker.

He has stuck his face in the bass ports on my front floorstanders, they're just big enough for him to shove his head in up to his ears. He's also taken to laying down behind my center channel in the tv stand after he gets tired from chasing lasers.

J

jake5717

Audioholic
Gatos

My cat’s don’t bother with the wires, speakers, or components. The 6 month old leather recliners are a different story. The cats have destroyed them by running across them and fighting on them. Stupid cow should have grown stronger skinz

majorloser

majorloser

Owning cats is one of the reasons I went with Canton Ergo tower speakers. Metal grills over the drivers. :)

highfihoney

highfihoney

Audioholic Samurai
My cat’s don’t bother with the wires, speakers, or components. The 6 month old leather recliners are a different story. The cats have destroyed them by running across them and fighting on them. Stupid cow should have grown stronger skinz
Im a pretty big animal lover but i think if i came home to leather recliners that were destroyed i'd flip right out & loose my mind.

You'd be seeing me on "animal cops" for strangeling them.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis