Cats vs Subwoofer - Sabotage inside !

Kolia

Kolia

Full Audioholic
Well, I have two adorable one year old kitties. They're great, but they still get themselves into all sorts of troubles...

Recently, with a new HT speaker setup, I found my sub to be lacking a bit. I'm currently shopping for a new one and the odd sound my current one made was a good incentive.

Last night, it finally dawns on my that I might want to play with the sub’s phase a bit ? That’s when I noticed the by-pass filter knob. I suspect one of my kitty went in there and played a bit with it… Turning it all the way down to 60Hz…

Mmmmh… Receiver’s sends 80Hz and less signal to sub, sub only play’s 60Hz and below = pretty big gap in sound!

Sub sounds much better now… I’m still shopping for a bigger one though…

Cheers !

highfihoney

highfihoney

Audioholic Samurai
Im a big time animal lover but when it comes to animals damaging my home or my things i draw the line,audio gear & cats dont mix well,ive seen pics of clawed up speakers,amps that have been urinated on & pics of cats sleeping a top of warm amplifiers.

Trade the cats in for a big lazy dog before its too late.

emorphien

emorphien

Audioholic General
highfihoney said:
pics of cats sleeping a top of warm amplifiers.
That doesn't surprise me at all! :)

My cat has no interest in audio gear. The most he does is rub his head on the side of my stereo rack and lean against the mains in the living room. He used to jump on top of the subwoofer to get to the window sill until I covered it, that's my own fault for putting it next to a window though. He's a good cat if you're going to have expensive things and wires all over.

Hi Ho

Hi Ho

Audioholic Samurai
My two cats have never caused any trouble with audio gear. They don't claw things, they don't chew on wires, and they don't sleep on warm amps. They really only cause trouble in the house when they bring live rodents in from outside to play with. That has lead to some rather exciting evenings. :D They do fight with each other though.... then they sleep like this:

Nomo

Nomo

Audioholic Samurai
I've never had any trouble with our cat damaging speakers or other A/V equipment either. Furniture, that's another story.

If that's the worst your cat has to offer you got nothing to worry about.

no. 5

no. 5

Audioholic Field Marshall
the only truble I've hade with my two cats is hairballs from the one, they leave the A/V alone. :)

stratman

stratman

Audioholic Ninja
Never been a cat guy, heard they taste good though. I've had Dobermans, Great Danes, Dachshunds, mutts and a couple of turtles.:D

emorphien

emorphien

Audioholic General
stratman said:
Never been a cat guy, heard they taste good though. I've had Dobermans, Great Danes, Dachshunds, mutts and a couple of turtles.:D
How did they taste?

Sheep

Sheep

Audioholic Warlord
Theres only one place for cats....

..IN MY BELLY!

Sorry, but I hate cats. I own a pug and its incredibly useless, but it also doesn't ruin ****.

Haha, in these photos she looks like the dog from the Never Ending story.

SheepStar

Kolia

Kolia

Full Audioholic
Lol,

No front claws on my kitties. And they leave the AV equipment alone now. The first year was a bit more exciting though. All wires are in the plastic tube things now.

They did throw one rear speaker down once. It had its fall broken by the vacuum cleaner (the scariest thing to most house pets) which in turn fell down. I wasn’t very happy but they’rer not touching the speakers any more.

Then I had the “let’s rewire the sub and try stuff” event earlier this week. Apparently, I managed to reroute all bass signals from every channels to the sub on full power (volume and tone defeat) while watching an episode of Star Trek (Wonder what the Bass Boost does?). The resulting “spaceship engine hum” freaked the cats for almost 20 minutes. Damn that was loud!

Kolia

Kolia

Full Audioholic
Clint DeBoer said:
i thought Kolia was going to say the cat climbed into the port and trashed the sub from inside!
:eek:

Note to self… Chose A/V components with small ports only…

C

Cygnus

Senior Audioholic
Ditto!

I have two dogs and two cats, all of which do not touch A/V components (except Emmie (one of my cats) who rubs up against my dads Altec Lansing speakers in his office and gets hair all over them!!)

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis