T

TankTop5

Audioholic General
I’ve been having some issues with my Marantz SR5014 with HDMI handshake and it’s even affecting HEOS that I stream router via cat 6 to my receiver. Someone I know in the industry suggested that the receiver doesn’t need that much bandwidth so manufacturers save money there and use older technology that can have problems with cat 6 and suggested staying with cat 5. I called Marantz and they kinda confirmed saying that makes sense and also suggested I go to cat 5.

Marantz also emailed me shipping instructions to a repair facility. Constantly having issues with HDMI not making the handshake when switching between inputs. Also front usb doesn’t work with my iPhone and I get some static out of the left speaker when skipping songs on HEOS or iTunes Airplay. I think after I get it back I’ll keep it in the box and sell it and get something else. The base model is probably not the best solution.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Speedskater

Speedskater

Audioholic General
While I can't think of a possible problems with Cat6 cables, Cat5 is more than enough.

Otto Pylot

Otto Pylot

Junior Audioholic
FWIW, I use solid copper core CAT-6 (non-CCA and not CAT-6 pre-terminated ethernet patch cable) to stream via ethernet to my Yamaha receiver and have absolutely zero issues. If there are issues switching between inputs that could also be a CEC issue if the OP has ARC/CEC enabled.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Why do you want to connect your phone via usb instead of using airplay? Because of the static? Can't imagine the cable making a difference. HDMI CEC ideas Otto mentioned sound worth checking out.

T

TankTop5

Audioholic General
I’ve been having the issue for a little while which is why I was testing the front USB, the display shows my iPhone and my iPhone says it’s playing but no sound. I already upgraded HDMI from Monster 4K to DPL certified Ethereal 4K. I think at this point I can safely say it’s broken and it’s going in for repairs. I was really just curious about the cat 5 versus cat 6 cable. I also had someone I know offered to let me use some higher and HDMI cables and if they work I can keep them. As it stands now I’m gonna send the unit back in if it comes back and still has HDMI handshake issues then I’ll try these but if not I’ll go ahead and give them back. I am going to get the recommended cat six cable as well, I’m not a fan of overspending for junk but I do like to get the right stuff that works correctly.

S

snakeeyes

Audioholic Ninja
I’ve been having the issue for a little while which is why I was testing the front USB, the display shows my iPhone and my iPhone says it’s playing but no sound. I already upgraded HDMI from Monster 4K to DPL certified Ethereal 4K. I think at this point I can safely say it’s broken and it’s going in for repairs. I was really just curious about the cat 5 versus cat 6 cable. I also had someone I know offered to let me use some higher and HDMI cables and if they work I can keep them. As it stands now I’m gonna send the unit back in if it comes back and still has HDMI handshake issues then I’ll try these but if not I’ll go ahead and give them back. I am going to get the recommended cat six cable as well, I’m not a fan of overspending for junk but I do like to get the right stuff that works correctly.

If you have any issues with HDMI cables, you might want to try Monoprice HDMI cables. Several of us have them. I have them on all my devices in all 3 of my rooms.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi

I briefly looked at the manual and for iphone it simply recommended airplay. Does your phone act as a mass storage device for usb connection with the expected formats? I do see this under usb devices cannot be played back in your manual:
USB memory device is not recognized.
0 Disconnect and reconnect the USB memory device. (v p. 62)
0 Mass storage class compatible USB memory devices are supported.
0 This unit does not support a connection through a USB hub. Connect the USB memory device directly to the USB port.
0 The USB memory device must be formatted to “FAT32” or “NTFS”.
0 Not all USB memory devices are guaranteed to work. Some USB memory devices are not recognized. When using a type of portable hard disc drive
compatible with the USB connection that requires power from an AC adapter, use the AC adapter that came with the drive.
Files on the USB memory device are not displayed.
0 Files of a type not supported by this unit are not displayed. (v p. 73)
0 This unit is able to display files in a maximum of eight folder layers. A maximum of 5000 files (folders) can also be displayed for each layer. Modify the
folder structure of the USB memory device.
0 When multiple partitions exist on the USB memory device, only files on the first partition are displayed.
iOS and Android devices are not recognized.
0 The USB port of this unit does not support playback from iOS and Android devices.
Files on a USB memory device cannot be played.
0 Files are created in a format that is not supported by this unit. Check the formats supported by this unit. (v p. 252)
0 You are attempting to play a file that is copyright protected. Files that are copyright protected cannot be played on this unit.
0 Playback may not be possible if the album art file size exceeds 2 MB.
Contents Connections Playback Settings Tips Appendix
Front

T

TankTop5

Audioholic General
I briefly looked at the manual and for iphone it simply recommended airplay. Does your phone act as a mass storage device for usb connection with the expected formats? I do see this under usb devices cannot be played back in your manual:
USB memory device is not recognized.
0 Disconnect and reconnect the USB memory device. (v p. 62)
0 Mass storage class compatible USB memory devices are supported.
0 This unit does not support a connection through a USB hub. Connect the USB memory device directly to the USB port.
0 The USB memory device must be formatted to “FAT32” or “NTFS”.
0 Not all USB memory devices are guaranteed to work. Some USB memory devices are not recognized. When using a type of portable hard disc drive
compatible with the USB connection that requires power from an AC adapter, use the AC adapter that came with the drive.
Files on the USB memory device are not displayed.
0 Files of a type not supported by this unit are not displayed. (v p. 73)
0 This unit is able to display files in a maximum of eight folder layers. A maximum of 5000 files (folders) can also be displayed for each layer. Modify the
folder structure of the USB memory device.
0 When multiple partitions exist on the USB memory device, only files on the first partition are displayed.
iOS and Android devices are not recognized.
0 The USB port of this unit does not support playback from iOS and Android devices.
Files on a USB memory device cannot be played.
0 Files are created in a format that is not supported by this unit. Check the formats supported by this unit. (v p. 252)
0 You are attempting to play a file that is copyright protected. Files that are copyright protected cannot be played on this unit.
0 Playback may not be possible if the album art file size exceeds 2 MB.
Contents Connections Playback Settings Tips Appendix
Front
I’ve never been big on reading the manual. Anyway I’ll try the Zigen cables then, from the looks of the company website I’m going to guess they’re better at send video signals than Monoprice. I’m also going to search for the cat 6 cable recommended here and see how it goes. That’s probably cheaper than shipping.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
I’ve never been big on reading the manual. Anyway I’ll try the Zigen cables then, from the looks of the company website I’m going to guess they’re better at send video signals than Monoprice. I’m also going to search for the cat 6 cable recommended here and see how it goes. That’s probably cheaper than shipping.

Well usually the avr usb input expects a mass storage device which most phones aren't.

Why Zigen? I briefly looked at their site and they don't even use hdmi standard descriptions. Probably some bullshit I'd guess, especially just basing performance off the look of their website, seriously? Monoprice cables have always done fine for me if you pick the appropriate one....but good luck.

T

TankTop5

Audioholic General
Well usually the avr usb input expects a mass storage device which most phones aren't.

Why Zigen? I briefly looked at their site and they don't even use hdmi standard descriptions. Probably some bullshit I'd guess, especially just basing performance off the look of their website, seriously? Monoprice cables have always done fine for me if you pick the appropriate one....but good luck.
Why Zigen? Mostly because they were free. At this point though I’m willing to say the Marantz is the issue. I don’t read read widespread issues with HDMI cables although I’m sure some do have issues. I replaced Monster cables with DPL certified 18gbps cables (all DPL certification means is the cables do what they’re advertised to do) that exceed the spec it takes to send a correct signal it takes to make the handshake and send enough bandwidth. Seriously it shouldn’t be this hard and if it is I doubt it’s the cables. When a customer of mine says their truck is running rough I may ask where they filled up last but I’m not going to suggest they try racing fuel or jet fuel before checking the engine. I’m aware that’s an apples to oranges comparison but the Marantz should be just fine with some above average cables and I shouldn’t have to spend this much time or effort to make it function as designed.

Last edited:
highfigh

highfigh

Seriously, I have no life.
I’ve been having some issues with my Marantz SR5014 with HDMI handshake and it’s even affecting HEOS that I stream router via cat 6 to my receiver. Someone I know in the industry suggested that the receiver doesn’t need that much bandwidth so manufacturers save money there and use older technology that can have problems with cat 6 and suggested staying with cat 5. I called Marantz and they kinda confirmed saying that makes sense and also suggested I go to cat 5.

Marantz also emailed me shipping instructions to a repair facility. Constantly having issues with HDMI not making the handshake when switching between inputs. Also front usb doesn’t work with my iPhone and I get some static out of the left speaker when skipping songs on HEOS or iTunes Airplay. I think after I get it back I’ll keep it in the box and sell it and get something else. The base model is probably not the best solution.

Bandwidth isn't forced on a device- it uses what it can and what it needs to do its job. At the length of your network cables, there's no difference in performance between Cat5e and Cat6.

highfigh

highfigh

If you're not big on reading manuals, don't expect this to work anytime soon. It's not going to start working just because you want it to and the info for whatever you need to do won't just appear in your mind.

The acronym RTFM exists for a reason.,

highfigh

highfigh

Why Zigen? Mostly because they were free. At this point though I’m willing to say the Marantz is the issue. I don’t read read widespread issues with HDMI cables although I’m sure some do have issues. I replaced Monster cables with DPL certified 18gbps cables (all DPL certification means is the cables do what they’re advertised to do) that exceed the spec it takes to send a correct signal it takes to make the handshake and send enough bandwidth. Seriously it shouldn’t be this hard and if it is I doubt it’s the cables. When a customer of mine says their truck is running rough I may ask where they filled up last but I’m not going to suggest they try racing fuel or jet fuel before checking the engine. I’m aware that’s an apples to oranges comparison but the Marantz should be just fine with some above average cables and I shouldn’t have to spend this much time or effort to make it function as designed.

How, exactly, did you learn to work on trucks and how complex are the repairs you perform? If you think your AVR will configure itself, you're apparently unaware that these are computers with additional audio and video inputs & outputs.

T

TankTop5

Audioholic General
If you're not big on reading manuals, don't expect this to work anytime soon. It's not going to start working just because you want it to and the info for whatever you need to do won't just appear in your mind.

How, exactly, did you learn to work on trucks and how complex are the repairs you perform? If you think your AVR will configure itself, you're apparently unaware that these are computers with additional audio and video inputs & outputs.

This thread is really starting to amuse me. No I didn’t read the whole manual, I did follow the setup wizard and I’ve referenced the manual multiple times but it isn’t on my list of books to finish this year. Do me a favor, what page should I read that will fix my HDMI issue issue that’s constantly not making the handshake. BTW cars that go vroom vroom also experience this issue, it’s generally physical damage to a harness or the module is bad, we really don’t think about it that hard. Let me educate you here, when someone brings their vehicle in with a complaint we simply ask a lot of questions to determine if this is normal or if we suspect something is not normal. I’ve tried a couple different cables, Monster should be sufficient but I went ahead and tried a lab tested and approved cable as well and that didn’t work either. You just took two swings and missed, you got a third in you or would you like to be helpful?

Last edited:
highfigh

highfigh

This thread is really starting to amuse me. No I didn’t read the whole manual, I did follow the setup wizard and I’ve referenced the manual multiple times but it isn’t on my list of books to finish this year. Do me a favor, what page should I read that will fix my HDMI issue issue that’s constantly not making the handshake. BTW cars that go vroom vroom also experience this issue, it’s generally physical damage to a harness or the module is bad, we really don’t think about it that hard. Let me educate you here, when someone brings their vehicle in with a complaint we simply ask a lot of questions to determine if this is normal or if we suspect something is not normal. I’ve tried a couple different cables, Monster should be sufficient but I went ahead and tried a lab tested and approved cable as well and that didn’t work either. You just took two swings and missed, you got a third in you or would you like to be helpful?

OK, let me ask this- how old is this AVR? The trainers for Denon/Marantz used to tell us that the first things to do when these are removed from the box are:

1) Hard reset
2) Firmware update

HDMI issues shouldn't be causing network problems and in the many years of working with these, I have never heard of that happening.

Because I wasn't there to see what was done, I'll ask a bunch of questions-

You assigned all of the inputs, right? Pg 175 of the manual

When you set up the HDMI controls, did you use Auto, or did you select specific resolution? Pg 177 refers to this.

Hard reset (to factory settings) is on pg 245, Network reset is on pg 246.

Manual-

us.marantz.com/DocumentMaster/US/SR5014_NA_EN.pdf

I service boats and since before 1993, they have had fuel injection systems that are similar to what's used in cars & trucks, although they're usually a few years behind. Inboard/sterndrive boats have had O2 sensors and Catalytic converters for over a decade and even outboards have those.

You came out swinging but missed my point- you won't suddenly realize where the problem is until you read more of the manual and I definitely understand not wanting to read it but the online version is a lot easier to navigate than the paper version, especially using the tabs at the top). I get my best sleep when I have to read a manual or attend a webinar.

In the decades I have worked with AV, I haven't seen any indication that expensive cables make a positive difference in most performance aspects. As far as 'lab tested and approved', that doesn't mean a lot when most brands have been tested but in some cases, only the shortest cables have passed the tests. Doesn't stop the seller showing that their stuff is certified, though- they just don't show the details of what was tested.

Setup matters and one thing can be slightly off and screw up everything. You can use the best cables on the planet and it still won't work if the setup hasn't been done correctly or if the unit has problems. Unfortunately, I can't tell you that everyone in the Marantz (or any other brand's) tech support department knows what they're talking about when they tell you that Cat5e may work and Cat6 won't.

If I get a chance, I'll post a link on a custom integrator's forum and if a certain person sees it, it's likely that he can shed some light because he was the national trainer for Denon and Marantz.

T

TankTop5

Audioholic General
Thanks for that response. My first set up was quick and dirty but did include a master reset in the unit wouldn’t do anything until I performed a firmware update. My second set up a couple days later I use the set up wizard and then went back and verified everything referencing the manual but I don’t remember exactly which. After that I contacted DM and their tech-support walked me through it which included going through menus that don’t exist in the owners manual.

BTW, which O2 sensor, before or after the cat? We generally do a visual inspection first, here in Colorado we see a lot of rodent damage to wires. Speaking of which we recently had a customer complaining that his cruise control and remote start wasn’t working, diagnosed the problem as rodent damage to a wiring harness on a brake light. Damn hippies wanted to be environmentally conscious and now almost all automotive wiring has a soy based insulator, rabbits and mice love soy!

T

TankTop5

Audioholic General
Are you using ARC/HDMI-CEC?
No, I had it plugged into video out 1 which has ARC but I suspected that early on and just switched to video 2 out.

Strangely enough I can use my XBOX one X to stream and then pull out my phone and start streaming via Bluetooth/Airplay and the Marantz immediately picks it up and switches but after twenty or thirty minutes of listening to music I can’t switch back to an HDMI input. Same goes for HEOS, I can start with an Ethernet signal but can’t switch back to it from another source. Only Bluetooth switches back and forth and looking through the top of the avr Ethernet and HDMI are all in one board and Bluetooth is on a separate board from everything else.

The main reason I started the thread was to see if anyone has heard of these receivers not liking cat 6. From what I think I was told they didn’t need the Ethernet bandwidth so chose to save money on some older more cost effective tech.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
No, I had it plugged into video out 1 which has ARC but I suspected that early on and just switched to video 2 out.

Strangely enough I can use my XBOX one X to stream and then pull out my phone and start streaming via Bluetooth/Airplay and the Marantz immediately picks it up and switches but after twenty or thirty minutes of listening to music I can’t switch back to an HDMI input. Same goes for HEOS, I can start with an Ethernet signal but can’t switch back to it from another source. Only Bluetooth switches back and forth and looking through the top of the avr Ethernet and HDMI are all in one board and Bluetooth is on a separate board from everything else.

The main reason I started the thread was to see if anyone has heard of these receivers not liking cat 6. From what I think I was told they didn’t need the Ethernet bandwidth so chose to save money on some older more cost effective tech.

It's (ARC/HDMI-CEC) more than just the port you plug it into, but what settings you've enabled in the avr and the other units.

I think you'd need to explain your switching thing more....not sure what you're experiencing there.

I still can't imagine the coax cable type makes a difference. Also curious what menus the Sound United tech guy had you check that are not in the manual....you sure it was an actual tech or just someone in customer service?

ps since you've done a full reset not much you can do beyond that to fix issues, it is possible you have a defective unit....

Otto Pylot

Otto Pylot

Junior Audioholic
I agree with @lovinthehd . What you are attempting to setup is a bit confusing. I have personally never heard of an incompatibility between any type of CAT-5/6/7 cable and a connected device. My HTS is hardwired and I have zero issues streaming from my laptop via Airplay (via the ATV4k) and even my iPhone on rare occasion. Any HDMI port on any receiver/tv can be used for an HDMI connection, even the ones that are labeled ARC. For ARC/CEC to work you need to enable that feature on the receiver and tv and then use the HDMI ports that are labeled for that. CEC is still a pain in the @ass for a lot of folks because it can cause all kinds of squirrely issues. Unfortunately, a lot of devices do not allow for separate control of each so it's either all or none. No CEC, no ARC.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis