Carnival Row new series on Amazon

3db

3db

Audioholic Slumlord
Anyone watching this one? I started it yesterday ...its different...jury is still out on this one.

jliedeka

jliedeka

Audioholic General
I liked it, overall. I think there's going to be at least one more season.

Cos

Cos

Audioholic Samurai
Was a C- series to me, I think Cara Delevingne is smoking hot, unfortunately the story isn't

BoredSysAdmin

BoredSysAdmin

Audioholic Slumlord
Was a C- series to me, I think Cara Delevingne is smoking hot, unfortunately, the story isn't
Have to agree on the later part- B- to C for me as well. The forced social commentary didn't help the weak and predictable story.

One of the comments/reviews on IMDB mentioned something I very much agree with: For this series to be truly fantasy show/movie, there needs to be a fantasy element which is crucial to the story. Unfortunately, it's not the case with the Row. You take any European major city early 20th century (like Prague - btw: it's incredibly visually similar in places to the Burge) add WW1, racism, LGBT, politics, and extremism. Fantasy parts are just a thin coat on this story which could be easily removed.

Two other aspects a bit disappointing:
A) I was promised a steam-punk world, instead, it's just steam era and very little to no steampunk (See Mortal Engines for what I mean by it)
B) Minor spoiler ahead: In episode 4 there is non-crucial for the story knife fight between two Faes. IMO it's the single most ridiculous thing in the entire series as a sequence of events did not make any sense whatsoever!!

Kvn_Walker

Kvn_Walker

Audioholic Field Marshall
B) Minor spoiler ahead: In episode 4 there is non-crucial for the story knife fight between two Faes. IMO it's the single most ridiculous thing in the entire series as a sequence of events did not make any sense whatsoever!!
The "last minute save" was so contrived and predictable that I had to groan. I knew it was coming. A GOOD writer would have had him killed by the sewer beast in a surprise attack while they were battling on ground. A BAD writer is going to put Lookalike Johnny Depp Orlando Bloom in just the right place and just the right time. Considering they flew over half the city, that was an impossibility and did more to insult the viewer than advance the plot.

We're 5 episodes in. It's watchable at least, but far from a good show.

S

snakeeyes

Audioholic Ninja
Have to agree on the later part- B- to C for me as well. The forced social commentary didn't help the weak and predictable story.

One of the comments/reviews on IMDB mentioned something I very much agree with: For this series to be truly fantasy show/movie, there needs to be a fantasy element which is crucial to the story. Unfortunately, it's not the case with the Row. You take any European major city early 20th century (like Prague - btw: it's incredibly visually similar in places to the Burge) add WW1, racism, LGBT, politics, and extremism. Fantasy parts are just a thin coat on this story which could be easily removed.

Two other aspects a bit disappointing:
A) I was promised a steam-punk world, instead, it's just steam era and very little to no steampunk (See Mortal Engines for what I mean by it)
I like Mortal Engines better too. :)

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
I watched 5 episodes. Couldn't stand it anymore. Too boring and stupid. :D

BoredSysAdmin

BoredSysAdmin

Audioholic Slumlord
The "last minute save" was so contrived and predictable that I had to groan. I knew it was coming. A GOOD writer would have had him killed by the sewer beast in a surprise attack while they were battling on ground. A BAD writer is going to put Lookalike Johnny Depp Orlando Bloom in just the right place and just the right time. Considering they flew over half the city, that was an impossibility and did more to insult the viewer than advance the plot.

We're 5 episodes in. It's watchable at least, but far from a good show.
You aren't wrong on the "last-minute save", but I was talking about the mechanics of the fight in flight. How both fully capable of flight persons all of the sudden holding on each other legs (to prevent the fall) and do fall down to earth after all. It's just worst possible writing I've ever seen. My 5year old could probably tell a better story.

3db

3db

Audioholic Slumlord
Completed the season. It was OK......May watch season2 when/if it comes out. Have to finish "The Boys" ..completed episode 5 and that was by far the best.... hopefully this trend continues.

Cos

Cos

Audioholic Samurai
Completed the season. It was OK......May watch season2 when/if it comes out. Have to finish "The Boys" ..completed episode 5 and that was by far the best.... hopefully this trend continues.
"The Boys" was a funny take on the anti-superheros, I didn't get into it until about the 3rd episode, but really enjoyed it. Looking forward to season 2 even if it did deviate from the comics a bit

davidscott

davidscott

Audioholic Ninja
Haven't watched it yet but since I have a Prime account it is on my to watch list...

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis