mtrycrafts

mtrycrafts

Seriously, I have no life.
No one went to see it yet? Where are the hardcore?
How is it? Planning on it tomorrow first showing. I think it will be full.

davidscott

davidscott

Audioholic Ninja
Will see it eventually as I see all the marvel universe movies. Too bad she wasn't around to confront Thanos in the infinity gauntlet movie.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
I heard terrible disappointing things about this movie.

F

FnFancy

Audioholic Intern
Saw it last night, while it does have human male hater tendencies, it was an okay flick. Took my son to see it as we had to stay current with the timeline. I will say this, the animated captin marvel was not up to par with marvel standards. She was very, very CGI'ed in some parts to the point of disappointing.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

VonMagnum

VonMagnum

Audioholic Chief
Didn't Ms. Larson categorically she say she doesn't want to hear about 40-year old white men reviews? Her movies aren't made for people like me, apparently (me being a 40 something white guy) so I should sit down and shut up. OK. If it wasn't made for me, I won't bother to go see it or review it or buy it. Categorically insulting entire groups of people with pre-judgment is no way to win fans, IMO. But it's ok to insult one group of people on this world still despite PC everything else and that's white males. We're all pigs! :rolleyes:

Cos

Cos

Audioholic Samurai
A lot better than Aquaman?
I enjoyed Aquaman, had to turn off about 50% of my brain to enjoy it, but it was fun for what it was.

I can describe my self as one of the premier Superhero Geeks on this site, and I will only get it a C(+) grade. It was fun for what it was, but if they were trying to ignore the 40 something crowd, congrats on alienating about 60-70% of the comic nerds who pay to see the movie.

Last edited:
gene

gene

Audioholics Master Chief
Administrator
Didn't Ms. Larson categorically she say she doesn't want to hear about 40-year old white men reviews? Her movies aren't made for people like me, apparently (me being a 40 something white guy) so I should sit down and shut up. OK. If it wasn't made for me, I won't bother to go see it or review it or buy it. Categorically insulting entire groups of people with pre-judgment is no way to win fans, IMO. But it's ok to insult one group of people on this world still despite PC everything else and that's white males. We're all pigs! :rolleyes:

I'm so F'ing sick of the feminist agenda being interjected into many films and TV series today. Those that know me know that I'm socially liberal, fiscally conservative. Hollywood is out of control, even by my standards. Even my 11yo daughter recognizes how bad this is when we try to watch shows like Supergirl, or Star Trek Discovery. We are skipping this movie and instead going to see Shazam. he's the real Captain Marvel anyway ;)

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
I enjoyed Aquaman, had to turn off about 50% of my brain to enjoy it, but it was fun for what it was.

I can describe my self as one of the premier Superhero Geeks on this site, and I will only get it a C(+) grade. It was fun for what it was, but if they were trying to ignore the 40 something crown, congrats on alienating aboput 60-70% of the comic nerds who pay to see the movie.
I definitely turn off my brain most of the time when watching movies in general. :D

But there are just too many unforgivable things IMO. And I am absolutely not a huge comic book fan either.

Still, I would like to re-watch Aquaman when the Atmos BluRay is released.

Definitely a gorgeous looking movie. It has amazing underwater visual effects that I don’t think I’ve ever seen.

So if the Atmos mix turns out great, then I may be more forgiving.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
I'm so F'ing sick of the feminist agenda being interjected into many films and TV series today. Those that know me know that I'm socially liberal, fiscally conservative. Hollywood is out of control, even by my standards. Even my 11yo daughter recognizes how bad this is when we try to watch shows like Supergirl, or Star Trek Discovery. We are skipping this movie and instead going to see Shazam. he's the real Captain Marvel anyway ;)
Oh Lordy, I could not stand Supergirl after giving that show over an entire season.

VonMagnum

VonMagnum

Audioholic Chief
I hear you. Tori Amos is one of my favorite artists (she's no pushover by any means) and I'm fully supporting of equal rights, etc., but equal rights to me doesn't equal male bashing. I remember reading Tori said feminists didn't like her despite being such a strong female role model precisely because she didn't 'hate' men. It feels to me sometimes like it's more some people/groups want 'revenge' not equality (may apply to racism as well in some corners) and there's this "sins of the father" aspect that is mind boggling to me. WTF did *I* have to do with events of the past? WTF did my family who came over in the 20th century and worked in steel mills have to do with anything? There were some evil people to be sure, but it wasn't me so stop lumping me in with them just because I have a Y chromosome and white skin. I didn't ask to be born a white male for goodness sake.

White male privilege? The media's favorite key words today. I'm sick of hearing it. I grew up dirt poor with no father around (he left when I was 2). My mother had her work cut out for her. We lived on $500 a month from my grandfather until I was a teenager and my mother was able to get a job at the post office. We didn't live in the best neighborhood either. Did I make excuses? Did I get in with the wrong crowds like some of my friends? No, I felt bad about our situation. I tried to stay out of trouble. I paid attention, got good grades and a high ACT score which eventually got me an academic scholarship and then eventually two degrees (not from some place like MIT, but from a state University). But now I'm supposed to apologize for actually making something of myself? A woman originally hired me where I work for god's sake. It wasn't some rich old white dude handing me a cigar and a glass of scotch and giving me a knowing wink. But according to some, she should have been forced to give that job to anyone BUT me since I was SO privileged in life not because I had the right qualifications, good college grades and an actual work ethic the company was looking for in a worker. Oh but Karma for trying to do the right things in life. Now I'm privileged to have weird neck/shoulder problems the doctors can't figure out and feel pain every day, all day. Life is bliss. :cool:

Some people will always find an excuse as to why they didn't do better, try harder or get where they want to be in life. Placing the blame on others is always easier than looking in the mirror. Yes, there are some real jerks out there. There are evil people out there. There are rich men that will fight tooth and nail to make sure they hold onto power. They were the Pharisees in the Bible, the Nobles in the Middle Ages and certain groups in the hear and now, but you can't solve a problem by creating a new problem at the opposite extreme. Equality and fairness is not beating your perceived 'enemy' into a bloody pulp as some would clearly do the moment they get their chance. The end of the Hunger Games movie comes to mind. Replace President Snow with Ms. Snow #2. The more things change, the more they remain the same (except Katniss could see it coming plain as day and chose to not let it happen.)

Cos

Cos

Audioholic Samurai
Huge Zach Levi fan, as Chuck was one of my favorite TV shows. I met the entire cast at San Diego Comic Con in 2011. That being said I originally thought the move is going to suck, but now that I understand what they are trying to do with it, I am very much interested in going to see it. Not a big Shazam fan, but this looks funny and plays to Levi's comedic strengths.

Old Onkyo

Old Onkyo

Audioholic General
I hear you. Tori Amos is one of my favorite artists (she's no pushover by any means) and I'm fully supporting of equal rights, etc., but equal rights to me doesn't equal male bashing. I remember reading Tori said feminists didn't like her despite being such a strong female role model precisely because she didn't 'hate' men. It feels to me sometimes like it's more some people/groups want 'revenge' not equality (may apply to racism as well in some corners) and there's this "sins of the father" aspect that is mind boggling to me. WTF did *I* have to do with events of the past? WTF did my family who came over in the 20th century and worked in steel mills have to do with anything? There were some evil people to be sure, but it wasn't me so stop lumping me in with them just because I have a Y chromosome and white skin. I didn't ask to be born a white male for goodness sake.

White male privilege? The media's favorite key words today. I'm sick of hearing it. I grew up dirt poor with no father around (he left when I was 2). My mother had her work cut out for her. We lived on $500 a month from my grandfather until I was a teenager and my mother was able to get a job at the post office. We didn't live in the best neighborhood either. Did I make excuses? Did I get in with the wrong crowds like some of my friends? No, I felt bad about our situation. I tried to stay out of trouble. I paid attention, got good grades and a high ACT score which eventually got me an academic scholarship and then eventually two degrees (not from some place like MIT, but from a state University). But now I'm supposed to apologize for actually making something of myself? A woman originally hired me where I work for god's sake. It wasn't some rich old white dude handing me a cigar and a glass of scotch and giving me a knowing wink. But according to some, she should have been forced to give that job to anyone BUT me since I was SO privileged in life not because I had the right qualifications, good college grades and an actual work ethic the company was looking for in a worker. Oh but Karma for trying to do the right things in life. Now I'm privileged to have weird neck/shoulder problems the doctors can't figure out and feel pain every day, all day. Life is bliss. :cool:

Some people will always find an excuse as to why they didn't do better, try harder or get where they want to be in life. Placing the blame on others is always easier than looking in the mirror. Yes, there are some real jerks out there. There are evil people out there. There are rich men that will fight tooth and nail to make sure they hold onto power. They were the Pharisees in the Bible, the Nobles in the Middle Ages and certain groups in the hear and now, but you can't solve a problem by creating a new problem at the opposite extreme. Equality and fairness is not beating your perceived 'enemy' into a bloody pulp as some would clearly do the moment they get their chance. The end of the Hunger Games movie comes to mind. Replace President Snow with Ms. Snow #2. The more things change, the more they remain the same (except Katniss could see it coming plain as day and chose to not let it happen.)
All this from a comic book movie thread...weed or counseling my friend, weed or counseling!

Kvn_Walker

Kvn_Walker

Audioholic Field Marshall
Well looks like my discussion will fit right in with the tone of this thread! :D

Most pertinent point: my wife doesn't "keep up" with movies. She doesn't read reviews, buzz, or any of that stuff. She's also not really a nerd so she didn't know who captain Marvel was or her place in the MCU. That's pertinent because right after the movie she said, "I don't know, but that movie really seemed geared towards women. I felt a lot of 'girl power' going on."

Something to be said for that, when she didn't know about any of the controversy pre-release.

Anyway, my take on the movie was a 6/10. Entertaining, but not great. I enjoyed it, but it didn't have much purpose beyond establishing the character before Endgame drops next month. For an "origin story" it did very little to tell her origins other than through scattered flashbacks... until everything dropped at once. As a feminist agenda, there was no real why is this pushing a feminist agenda fleshed out. Just bits and pieces again. Ok the Air Force didn't want women pilots. But just a comment here and there, not an actual plot thread. Ok her dad told her girls weren't meant to do certain things. Again, just a few scattered memories. There wasn't enough supporting cause to make this a feminist movie. You can't make a movie feminist just because the lead is a woman. Rogue One didn't go there. Jyn was a strong female lead, but the movie didn't pander towards her gender. She was badass because she was badass, not because she was a girl. Or to stay within the MCU, the same could be said for Black Widow or Scarlet Witch. Female badassery works best when your movie doesn't scream "LOOK AT ME I'M A GIRL AND I KICK ASS." Ironically, doing so tends to promote the very sexism that you're "speaking out" against!

Comparing this to Wonder Woman, well WW was magnitudes better. Wonder Woman had great acting, and the attitude towards women was spot-on with the era in which it took place. Even with all that, it still wasn't a feminist movie. That character is a beast by design, so no need exists to focus on "girl power." DC has gotten almost everything wrong since the Nolan Batman movies, but they damn sure hit it out of the park with treatment of a female superhero.

Brie Larson's acting was every bit as wooden as the reviews have said. I couldn't make myself care about her as a person. Forget Samuel Jackson. Ben Mendelsohn totally stole the show. He was the absolute best part of the film.

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
I liked it. I saw this one on the 8K screen and thought it looked and sounded great. It was on par with Black Panther, which just like this one, was a standard formula super hero movie (best picture? really?). Not sure why all the "girl power" bashing either. As with most of these movies, you can plug any actor and any subtext into the formula, add SFX to taste and you have one of these movies. I wasn't blown away, but I certainly wasn't disappointed. I wasn't impressed by Infinity Wars either. People got upset. It's COMIC BOOK based, they can undo anything that ever happened, duh. Agree, this one is just establishing how powerful she is so that they have a path to a solution in Endgame.

The thing that I did like about this one, it actually answered some questions and tied in well to the other films, basically going back and filling in how some of the things we've already seen in the MCU movies came about. Did I really need to fill all that in? Not really, but it was entertaining.

Spiderman Into the Spiderverse was better IMO. I am more interested in Dark Phoenix. I hope they do that one justice.

jliedeka

jliedeka

Audioholic General
I saw it yesterday and thought it was fun. It was your basic Marvel blockbuster. If you haven't seen it yet, there are two scenes at the end. One in the middle of the credits and one at the very end.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis